Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    "I want more microtransactions" said nobody ever.

3. Post
    Dead Space 3, the only true horror game, the frightening concept of having to pay for an item(I believe the packs will end up somewhat like a nightmarish ME3 coop packs) because I choose not to go down the long dark corridor with monstrous shadows after sprinting, jumping over a ledge and performing a triple backflip to land on a pipe then rocket jumping, because I failed 5 times before.

4. Post
    Microtransactions.
    In a single-player game.
    GTFO

but its EA, so this is not even remotely surprising

5. Post

6. Post
    So the microtransactions are there for people who want instant gratification?. So why not make an easy mode where there are far more resource drops? Oh, because we can make a ton more money this way, er, I mean, because a younger audience who are used to iOS games and paying a dollar here or a dollar there are just used to it so why not, right?

Microtransactions are one of the worst concepts the industry has come up with. They're a crutch and an excuse.
    "If it's something they want in order to succeed and enjoy the game on their own time, let's give it to them" really? I believe that used to be called difficulty levels. I totally agree that there are people out there who don't have the time to enjoy a game to completion, but you can't turn around and say "hey, here's an idea, how about you just pay us more money for lots of credits/ammo/stuff.
    Does no one remember cheat codes? never paid for one of them and I was able to toggle one on, give myself a heap of credits/ammo/stuff and then toggle it off again IF I wanted and it didn't cost me a dime.

At the end of the day, play the game how you want. If you want to cheat, do it. If you want to pay for microtransactions, do it. Just don't complain when you come to play Dead Space 4 and there's a door you can't get through without a welding torch that's available as a microtransaction download. Just remember to by the fuel tank for that in a seperate microtransaction. Ooh, and the cool paint job for it in yet another microtransaciton...

7. Post
    Cool story developer bros.

Remember, Microtransactions are for your benefit, the gamer.

8. Post
    TemptedNZ wrote:
    Cool story developer bros.

Remember, Microtransactions are for your benefit, the gamer.
    Correction, microtransations are for the publishers benefit. What they add into the game can be offered for free by way of 'uber-easy' difficulty levels or the exact same function 'but for free'.
    Frankly I don't know why anyone would pay for this particular set of microtransactions. Has no one heard of trainers?

9. Post
    Kravenmore wrote:
    Correction, microtransations are for the publishers benefit. What they add into the game can be offered for free by way of 'uber-easy' difficulty levels or the exact same function 'but for free'.
    Frankly I don't know why anyone would pay for this particular set of microtransactions. Has no one heard of trainers?
    Why waste time with a trainer? Especially with drm(steam,gfwl,origin and uplay) you can be banned for that.
    People would pay because it makes the game easier. Some people dont get any satisfaction from having to be challenged in a game(Hence Mass Effect 3 story mode)

10. Post
    entensity wrote:
    Why waste time with a trainer? Especially with drm(steam,gfwl,origin and uplay) you can be banned for that.
    People would pay because it makes the game easier. Some people dont get any satisfaction from having to be challenged in a game(Hence Mass Effect 3 story mode)
    Gonna have to agree to disagree. I see exactly what you're saying about people not getting satisfaction from having a challenge or simply not having enough time to put into a game, but offering resources as a microtransaction is not the way to go about it. Mass Effect 3 story mode is just one of the ways you can make it work without forcing the user to pay out more.

At the end of the day, microtransactions are there for two reasons, to give players options, and to make more money. The second is ALWAYS the overriding reason. If it weren't they'd offer it for free in the same form or some other option. End of story.

11. Post
    Kravenmore wrote:
    Correction, microtransations are for the publishers benefit.
    You're not very good at sarcasm detection, eh? He was satirising the marketing spin man rhetoric that they're trying to use to appease their angry consumers.

12. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    You're not very good at sarcasm detection, eh? He was satirising the marketing spin man rhetoric that they're trying to use to appease their angry consumers.
    Ha just looked at it again. One of those days ;-)

13. Post
    Kravenmore wrote:
    Gonna have to agree to disagree. I see exactly what you're saying about people not getting satisfaction from having a challenge or simply not having enough time to put into a game, but offering resources as a microtransaction is not the way to go about it. Mass Effect 3 story mode is just one of the ways you can make it work without forcing the user to pay out more.

At the end of the day, microtransactions are there for two reasons, to give players options, and to make more money. The second is ALWAYS the overriding reason. If it weren't they'd offer it for free in the same form or some other option. End of story.
    The problem is we are all biased. We are the hardcore who enjoy "playing" the game.This is the sort of thing for people who arent that passionate and interested. If I was older with kids and only had limited time I would purchase this so I could get through it faster. Granted I agree it should be free but its 2013 where making money is the most important thing. Its niave to think that is how the world works anymore(other the Witcher Team)

For some reason I remember when burnout paradise released heaps of free content(im talking a full games worth). Then they released a paid dlc and people raged that EA were evil even tho they had released for free a huge amount of content. Im not sure what that has to do with this.

14. Post
    entensity wrote:
    The problem is we are all biased. We are the hardcore who enjoy "playing" the game.This is the sort of thing for people who arent that passionate and interested. If I was older with kids and only had limited time I would purchase this so I could get through it faster. Granted I agree it should be free but its 2013 where making money is the most important thing. Its niave to think that is how the world works anymore(other the Witcher Team)

For some reason I remember when burnout paradise released heaps of free content(im talking a full games worth). Then they released a paid dlc and people raged that EA were evil even tho they had released for free a huge amount of content. Im not sure what that has to do with this.
    The problem is when people become complaicant and just say 'oh well, that's the way it works now' is the niave part. If people support microtransactions and pay for them, you're only going to see more of it.
    This aspect of the game world is backwards. The gaming industry is a consumer driven market where they develop games and concepts that will appeal to gamers. What does appeal, goes on to bigger and better things. What doesn't, diminishes and eventually all but dissapears. The problem is people being complaicant about microtransactions and end up paying for them only encourage game developers to use it more.

15. Post
    Kravenmore wrote:
    The problem is when people become complaicant and just say 'oh well, that's the way it works now' is the niave part. If people support microtransactions and pay for them, you're only going to see more of it.
    This aspect of the game world is backwards. The gaming industry is a consumer driven market where they develop games and concepts that will appeal to gamers. What does appeal, goes on to bigger and better things. What doesn't, diminishes and eventually all but dissapears. The problem is people being complaicant about microtransactions and end up paying for them only encourage game developers to use it more.
    as you said it is a slippery slope, the reason why current gaming trends is hype and regurgitated cut and paste vomit is simply because of the 20 minute ADD type gamers which are buying the game . The devs simply shrug and go well this is our target audience and they are completely noobs so we have to cater to the lowest common denominator. Take a good look at World of Warcraft. The devs correctly realised that their playerbase were mainly completely clueless and noobs and wanted to be force fed and this is the resulting game after BC etc

16. Post
    Sad but true.
    The worst part is the actual developers know better but the big wigs are like "can we put more microtransactions in there? How about some DLC, oh and I hear DRM that requires a constant internet connection is all the rage, especially for offline single player games, bung that in there too"

If the fool pays, is the wise man wise to point our his ignorance, or leave him to his bliss?

17. Post
    Dont really see what the fuss is about to be honest no ones forcing you to use the micro transactions. Does it really bug people that much to complain about an in game option on the internet?

18. Post
    You're right that no one's forcing you to use the micro transactions. Yet.
    The problem with them is that it creates the presidence for it to become a feature that is pushed even more and potentially to the point where it has a greater impact on the way the game is played. It's not such a bad thing when you consider iOS freemium type games, but when you're paying upwards of $90 for a AAA title, it's insulting to say "If you're struggling or just want to get through it quickly, why not pay us more money for that"

19. Post
    Well, it's not called micro-transactions, but I have known a few games to use DLCs in the exact same way. Like in Sleeping Dogs- pay us extra money, and you can get a fancy car, outfit, and a bucket of in game dosh with the High Roller DLC.

There have been a few free 2 play MMO games where I have wanted better microtransaction choice- I briefly tried Age of Conan, but discovered you HAVE to subscribe to be competitive because it locks you out of an entire skill tree from the expansion unless you subscribe. Though said microtransactions should be at a fair price- the ones in AoC were absolutely ludicrous.

20. Post
    Looks like I was right that they designed the game around microtransactions instead of the other way round.

Horrible design choice imo

lorenzen wrote:
    Dont really see what the fuss is about to be honest no ones forcing you to use the micro transactions.
    It's a fuss because they took a great single player franchise and designed the third in the series to be based around players paying for transactions. In single player.
    Surely you're not serious.

lorenzen wrote:
    Does it really bug people that much to complain about an in game option on the internet?
    It's a DISCUSSION FORUM you knob
    Would you prefer if we wrote letters to the company or something? What a bizarre comment to make.

21. Thumbs up
    Limit0 wrote:
    Looks like I was right that they designed the game around microtransactions instead of the other way round.

Would you prefer if we wrote letters to the company or something? What a bizarre comment to make.

22. Post
    classic EA.

23. Post
    Limit0 wrote:

We should write them a stern letter with extra exclamation points to really drive the point home

This game was a deal breaker the day they announced co-op and took out the horror elements to appeal to a greater audience I loved the atmosphere and the sound effects of the first game it really made you think do I really want to go around that corner or into that room what could be waiting for me there? micro transactions pretty much gave this franchise a death sentence they claim they didn't want to piss off the core fanbase well they did good job EA

24. Post
    Kravenmore wrote:
    I believe he was using a comment delivery mechanism called "sarcasm"

25. Post
    Hitokirix101 wrote:

This game was a deal breaker the day they announced co-op and took out the horror elements to appeal to a greater audience I loved the atmosphere and the sound effects of the first game it really made you think do I really want to go around that corner or into that room what could be waiting for me there? micro transactions pretty much gave this franchise a death sentence they claim they didn't want to piss off the core fanbase well they did good job EA
    Oh for crying out loud. They did not take out the horror elements. The game is pretty much the same as Dead Space 2 with the option to have a 2nd player. Play the freaking demo.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last