Results 1 to 21 of 21

  1. Post
    #1
    Finally a decent response from the industry.

    http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-no-l...olence-6403237

    P.S Apologies if this has been posted already.

  2. Post
    #2
    First time in years EA has said something that isn't idiotic.

    Probably trying to get back in gamers good books, though

  3. Post
    #3
    IMO there will actually be a backlash against violent video games in the near future. I'm not saying that gamers will go off them altogether or boycott them but I definitely feel that there will be a strong market shift as the median age of gamers changes from 25-30 to 35-40. Titles like COD will fall out of the mainstream and instead be on the same level as strategy games. They'll have a sizeable chunk of the market but not the huge one they once had.

  4. Post
    #4
    Xev wrote:
    First time in years EA has said something that isn't idiotic.

    Probably trying to get back in gamers good books, though
    id like to think that, but their reasons will be if moves are made to ban or stop games or whatever the knee jerker NRA "avoid talking about the gun thing" moment want to do, it will hurt EA's bottom line, so while its a mutual interest between the gamers and the game publishers that they do this, this will also be because its something that could hurt their massive profits

  5. Post
    #5
    what is a false sense of courage? If you have courage from any source its still courage. Do birds have a false ability to fly some times?

  6. Post
    #6
    People went on gun rampages long before violent computer games existed, even before computers existed.

    People went on killing rampages with weapons long before guns existed. People still go on rampages without guns, or even without weapons.

    Taking away guns isn't the solution, neither is taking away weapons. The problem is people, you need to fix people/society not blame whatever is in their hand.

  7. Post
    #7
    Naw, access to assault rifles is pretty questionable. Why would a private citizen need an assault rifle?

    And it seems their system of background checks isn't as robust as it should be.

  8. Post
    #8
    A different take on the subject, how games influence gun sales:

    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-manufacturers

    "We definitely see sales of particular guns increase when they are featured in popular video games, such as Call of Duty."
    Anthony Toutain, Cybergun

  9. Post
    #9
    Blue Vein CHEESE wrote:
    Taking away guns isn't the solution, neither is taking away weapons. The problem is people, you need to fix people/society not blame whatever is in their hand.
    I disagree completely. Whilst the gun laws in America aren't solely to blame for how their citizens use them, it is a huge underlying factor. The fact is that if someone wants to do something like this, there is very little actually stopping them. In New Zealand, and majority of other countries, even if someone had this intention it is extremely difficult for them to even access the firearms/weapons capable of achieving this.

    Although this is not the only solution, obviously there are things like accessibility to psychological support that also comes largely into play.

    What DumKopf said is actually very interesting though.

  10. Post
    #10
    Agree there's a perception issue, disagree that EA will do anything about it.

    BF4 will feature a cover of a guy holding a gun with his back turned to an explosion just like every other shooter.


  11. Post
    #11
    Limit0 wrote:
    Naw, access to assault rifles is pretty questionable. Why would a private citizen need an assault rifle?
    Exactly, only purpose I see is shooting targets at the range. Which many Americans seem to love doing, so they will use the 2nd amendment and every other excuse they can find.

  12. Post
    #12
    DumKopf wrote:
    A different take on the subject, how games influence gun sales:

    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-manufacturers

    "We definitely see sales of particular guns increase when they are featured in popular video games, such as Call of Duty."
    Anthony Toutain, Cybergun
    Correlation != Causation in this case though. Guns are mostly featured in games because they appear in military combat, not because of licensing. By the same token we could argue the US military is just as much to blame for luring kids into training camps at high school where they get to shoot real guns without teaching kids the implications of what these guns can do, or parents who give their kid both CoD and weapons at the age of 13

    have six pellet and BB guns," says Aidin Smith, a 13 year-old resident of Springfield, Illinois. "These include two BB guns, modelled on the M14 rifle and M1911 pistol, and two pellet guns, modelled on the AK-47 and M16. I also own an M14 BB rifle M1911 BB pistol. And I got an AK-47 rifle, M16 rifle.

    "My favorite is the M1911. I shot a real M1911 when I lived in the country. I shot with my Grandpa. I love the action on it, it is like a real M1911, it recoils and springs back like a real gun. All of them are ones that are in Call of Duty. I like guns more because of Call of Duty. The M1911 is a pistol in almost in every Call of Duty."

    Last year Smith took one of his BB guns to school. A teacher discovered it in his rucksack, along with a bag of ammunition and a folding knife.

  13. Post
    #13
    Necriss wrote:
    Exactly, only purpose I see is shooting targets at the range. Which many Americans seem to love doing, so they will use the 2nd amendment and every other excuse they can find.
    No shooter in the USA has ever used an assault rifle in a massacre iirc. Banning guns will do absolutely nothing, I really don't understand how people don't get this, it's generally people who don't live in the USA that say ban all gunzzz.

  14. Post
    #14
    NaCh0 wrote:
    Banning guns will do absolutely nothing, I really don't understand how people don't get this
    I really don't understand how you come to this conclusion.

  15. Post
    #15
    Egor wrote:
    I really don't understand how you come to this conclusion.
    Sorry I don't mean absolutely, just over exaggeration. There is an estimate of 270,000,000 guns in the US of A or 88.8 guns per 100 residents. In the end banning guns moves the profits from the government/companies to the black market.

    Yes, policies should be more strict. I still believe it is the society of America that causes so many shootings. Not to mention how the media sensationalizes the living **** out of them each time they happen.

  16. Post
    #16
    There's probably a bit of a link...

    Like I really want that SOG Tomahawk cos of MoH and will probably get a crossbow because of Daryl.

    F*ck if I'd had the cash to afford to shoot it I'd probably have gotten a AWM

  17. Post
    #17

  18. Post
    #18
    ^ lol

  19. Post
    #19
    friskeN wrote:
    I disagree completely. Whilst the gun laws in America aren't solely to blame for how their citizens use them, it is a huge underlying factor. The fact is that if someone wants to do something like this, there is very little actually stopping them. In New Zealand, and majority of other countries, even if someone had this intention it is extremely difficult for them to even access the firearms/weapons capable of achieving this.

    Although this is not the only solution, obviously there are things like accessibility to psychological support that also comes largely into play.

    What DumKopf said is actually very interesting though.
    I think we're talking about two different things. Of course if you want to stop just gun crime, the way to do it is to get rid of guns. I'm talking more about dealing with the underlying urge/whatever to go out and kill a bunch of people regardless of the method of slaughter, rather than any one specific type of murder.

  20. Post
    #20
    I want an air-rifle but how many games has it been in? True I want a P90 (but only allowed a mag that holds and looks like it holds no more than 7 rounds) but that is not because I used it in games, not because of stargate SG1 but that the magazine facinates me and I would spend more time taking it apart and seeing how it works than actually shooting it(for a few years, if I don't kill the possums the trees certainly won't).
    Also Ubisoft back in the day of '05 have a behind the scenes video on Ghost Recon 2 Summit strike where the developers get loaned some grenades, rifles and such.

  21. Post
    #21
    In a way we are probably lucky the oculus rift and other headsets haven't become mainstream yet else these same fear mongers would have a much easier time selling their bs to the ignorant, the more studies done before they become mainstream the better imo.