Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Do you think CGI trailers are misleading?

So Destructoid posted an article about how CGI trailers (in particular dead island) were misleading and did not represent actual game play of the final product. Deep Silver the games publisher didn't stay silent and responded
    "We did many gameplay trailers with in-game footage before the release, so labelling the CGI misleading would be ridiculous," claimed creative director Guido Eickmeyer to Videogamer. "We never pretended to be something different.

"In addition, Dead Island was the biggest and most intense cooperative multiplayer experience in 2011 and I believe playing with your friends or strangers next to each other through a horrifying zombie apocalypse is an emotional experience."

Often CGI trailers will tell you whether or not its actual game play footage your watching by having a disclaimer pop up during the trailer but in the case of the dead island trailer it did not, which brings us to the question, are cgi trailers misleading?

2. Post
    I never trust trailers.

3. Post
    I think CGI trailers give a conceptual view of what the developers want to achieve as far as graphical/artistic direction (and to some lesser extent gameplay direction) of the game is concerned. It's a bit like concept art except it shows the concept in motion rather than stills. Not something you would ever base your game buying decisions on, but instead something that might get you interested enough to watch a gameplay walkthrough or read a write-up on it.

And that trailer is quite obviously CGI.

4. Post
    The dead island trailer was pretty awesome....but yeah completely ****ing misleading lol

5. Post
    Kog wrote:
    I never trust trailers.

6. Post
    i dont think its as bad as it used to be. but i find the dead island example stupid as its obviously not gameplay at all.

7. Post
    I think CGI trailers are misleading.

Does anyone remember Hellgate: London?

Well, the trailer for that was awesome! Saw it at Armageddon. Bought the game. Got it home. Played it...for about...maybe...3 days...and...

Yea, very misleading.

I also got Dead Island. And it was an entertaining game. Played through once. Then got very bored. Traded it in.

8. Post
    Kog wrote:
    I never trust trailers.

9. Post
    - Dead Island trailer was an awesome trailer, misleading? I don't really see how, same graphics, zombie fight on a tropical island. What do you want, all trailers to be boring game play videos?

- It was a factor (along with recommendations, and price) for me purchasing the game.

- Make an awesome trailer and you will get more sales for your game.

10. Post
    I like watching cinematic trailers, but only as spectacles........ Never for any decent information on the thing it's advertising. And like Yahtzee said, whenever I see a cinematic trailer for a game I can't help but get the feeling they're just trying to hide something.

11. Post
    Anyone remember this? :mad:

12. Post
    If you're going to show the Killzone footage you might as well put up both the Motorstorm original announcement footage or the cancelled PS3 Getaway sequel as well.

At least the Dead Island one had a proper themeatic connection I felt. It might not have been directly in the game but the concept of attacking zombies was accurate enough.

The most misleading trailer I saw last year was Blur's very nice CG work for the Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City game. As a piece of content I would have watched a whole movie of if they made it but as what the game was like was nothing even remotely close.

13. Post
    'Misleading' in the sense that the trailer was awesome, and the game wasn't. Though as stated, it wasn't nearly as big as a leap as Hellgate London.

14. Post
    I think it all comes down to marketing...awesome trailer = Buzz = a lot of views on youtube.
    Trailer is just a marketing tool, nothing more...like how pictures in fastfood chains never actually look like the product u get.

I would never buy a game based on the trailer anyway. besides internet is so advanced now you can see the gameplay footage before you rush to purchase.

15. Post
    "We did many gameplay trailers with in-game footage before the release, so labelling the CGI misleading would be ridiculous," claimed creative director Guido Eickmeyer to Videogamer. "We never pretended to be something different.
    We did game play footage therefore what the CGI trailer shows is this not misleading.
    Good logic here, i like they way it does not in anyway address how disassociated the CGI trailer for their game was vs the actual game (or in any of the many, many examples of horsehit CGI game trailer for that are out there). 1+1=3

"In addition, Dead Island was the biggest and most intense cooperative multiplayer experience in 2011 and I believe playing with your friends or strangers next to each other through a horrifying zombie apocalypse is an emotional experience."
    No it wasn't. And no opinion about emotional experience (although comments from friends say it was pretty weak).

16. Post
    Should only use CG trailers for concept/ announcement otherwise in-game/engine only.

17. Post
    Its pretty idiotic to label CG trailers as misleading. Who even for a second think they actually represent the game experience?
    Look at the Diablo, TOR, Starcraft, and WOW CG trailers and cinematics. They are there solely to represent the setting not the game experience. I find the assertion of deliberate deception to be misguided and more than a little attention seeking.

18. Post
    Even in-game trailers are misleading.

Console trailers are done on top end PC's. On top of that, devs will quite often use enhanced effects in trailers that the game doesnt ship with it, or camera angles not possible ingame for the player and often enough you'll see things in trailers that arent in the game or possible to do by the player.

So even if its not CGI its most likely still a load of crap.

19. Post
    misleading, yes

20. Post
    Anyone who feels mislead by a CG trailer deserved to be mislead. Think of it as punishment for being stupid.

21. Post
    Sure, they may not be truly representative of how the game will play, but I've never based a purchasing decision on a CGI trailer. I have, however, watched, re-watched and enjoyed huge numbers of CGI trailers. Love 'em.

22. Post
    James wrote:
    Sure, they may not be truly representative of how the game will play, but I've never based a purchasing decision on a CGI trailer. I have, however, watched, re-watched and enjoyed huge numbers of CGI trailers. Love 'em.
    Same if anything it gets people interested in a game that may not have been on their radar, whether they do any research into the game is another story

23. Post
    cryocore wrote:
    Anyone who feels mislead by a CG trailer deserved to be mislead. Think of it as punishment for being stupid.
    heh.

24. Post
    cryocore wrote:

25. Post
    If it is designed to purport to be gameplay - yes. If it is a cinematic type CG trailer (ie DI orCyberpunk) no.