Page 1 of 3 123 Last

1. Question

What type of character do you usually create in an RPG?

Do you usually go with something different each time? or usually roll a similar type of character in every game?

For my first character I always seem to go with the heavily armoured with big arse 2 handed weapon type characters, and maybe a touch of healing thrown in if possible.

2. Post
    Generally a jack of all trades if I can. Although in Skyrim it was pretty much just a mage since all other classes seem to suck.

3. Post
    Depends on the game.

If its one that utalises non combat options well (anything by early BioWare, Obsidian, or Troika) then I'll roll a high Int/Cha/Per char.
    If its a combat focused ones with poor conversation option (Anything by Beth) I tend to go Mage or Rouge and focus on their core atts.

Getting sick of RPGs that claim freedom of choice when all they mean is different ways of killing folk.

4. Post
    Ranger, full stop

I like the smoke and dagger approach followed with thief skills and stealth tactics.
    Dagger/sword + bow is how I roll.
    I spammed the admin forum and all i got was a custom tag telling me I'm a tool

5. Post
    sword n board

6. Post
    duel wield warrior if i can

7. Post
    I tend to roll with the same type of character in every game I play and usually I stick with it even on a second/third playthrough. Sometimes I'll branch out and try something a little different but usually in combination with what I already know.

Stealth + light armour + conventional ranged weapons(Bows/crossbows/sniper rifles) is my usual go to. And I generally avoid magic/magical classes altogether (ie. no magica in Skyrim and no biotics in ME ect)

8. Post
    melee

nice & simple + I'm too much of a dumbass to use mages etc

9. Post
    The OP battlemage, most of the time, works a charm in the elder scroll games, can't wait to make it in the TESO =D

10. Post
    Stealth, high intelligence, evil. I always replay RPG's though and like to change around.

TheMango wrote:
    Although in Skyrim it was pretty much just a mage since all other classes seem to suck.
    :reallife:

11. Post
    Most massive tank available, ideally with elemental and status effect resistance for life on the front lines

Always the same, so I have pretty much missed out on the magic side of every RPG for the last 20 years

12. Post
    Its a good question imo, I always chose a paladin/knight type character, thinking that if I was in game I would want to be a sword and board type person.

therefore wow I was always a tank, and same with any other game etc.

starting to push myself to go ranger, as I enjoy the ranged gameplay as well.

13. Post
    cryocore wrote:
    Depends on the game.

If its one that utalises non combat options well (anything by early BioWare, Obsidian, or Troika) then I'll roll a high Int/Cha/Per char.
    If its a combat focused ones with poor conversation option (Anything by Beth) I tend to go Mage or Rouge and focus on their core atts.

Getting sick of RPGs that claim freedom of choice when all they mean is different ways of killing folk.
    This.

Although, Dark Souls gives you pretty good freedom in crafting your character.

14. Post
    TheMango wrote:
    Generally a jack of all trades if I can. Although in Skyrim it was pretty much just a mage since all other classes seem to suck.
    Might I suggest learning to sneak and use a bow. You might be quite alarmed

15. Post
    Human, warrior (swords), blacksmith, miner. Zero magic.

16. Post
    cryocore wrote:
    Depends on the game.

+1

In a proper RPG, I normally spec to be a highly social character, with leanings towards skills that avoiding direct confrontation and/or silent killing. Pure melee-based combat is too boring and often Easy Mode in a lot of games.

I tried to approach Skyrim this way, by choosing the Imperial race since the character creator screens told ,e that Imperials were more charismatic, but in actuality this just meant that I would get higher value gold drops. Social skills are virtually useless in Skyrim, better prices in shops and maybe convincing the occasional wandering hunter NPC to back off? Ugh, what a waste of skill points. At least Oblivion had that persuasion mini-game.

In Diablo-esque ARPGs, I'm all about the ranged combat.

TheMango wrote:
    Although in Skyrim it was pretty much just a mage since all other classes seem to suck.
    There are no classes in Skyrim.

17. Post
    Battle Mage.

18. Post
    Someone with swords and a shield, with a dash of cold magic and healing.

19. Post
    Rogue/thief/melee/stealth, neutral good with a penchant for vengeance/being evil when someone deserves it.
    Very rarely main as a magic or stand up melee. Some times mix magic with rogue.

20. Post
    I typically get the guy in the heavy armour with the ****-off twohander to start with, or a dual-wield type rogue character. I've never really been able to get into mages, although I try my hand at them from time to time.

21. Post
    It depends on what the game offers really. I usually try to avoid the generic hack 'n slash warrior unless the game does it exceptionally well. Stealth is great fun if the game handles stealth well, otherwise if the magic system is good, I'll use that.

In Skyrim for example, first character was a Mage, but found out that was easymode for everything. Second character was a Warrior, which got a little dull. I then tried a thief, and found myself getting ripped apart on master every time. My backstabs and arrows didn't do **** to regular old bandits, and my follower would just get himself killed.

As for a Paragon system, I generally do good things, but if I see an opportunity too good to pass up, like a rich noble, near death in the middle of nowhere, my knife might just slip...

22. Post
    Always go for the magic user. Never play melee.

23. Post
    Two handed sword heavy armor

24. Post
    Depends on the game - for an MMO I generally prefer melee characters. For Elder Scrolls games I'll generally go some kind of stealth archer, followed by a heavy armoured melee type.

Pretty much always a good guy. Even on subsequent playthroughs I'll often find it hard to be a ****. Being a dark side Bounty Hunter in SW:TOR made me feel like ****, lol. Some of the most ruthless decisions made in an RPG, right there.

I keep on meaning to do a magic type in Skyrim but always give up and do a melee or archer... unsure why that is. Something about just having boring old robes really puts me off, a big part of the charm in those types of games for me is having a badass looking character. And I know you can easily be a heavy armoured caster in Skyrim but it just feels wrong. :mad:

25. Post
    In games lik2 D2 and D3 I've always gone Barb (sword and board) or something fruity like a Hammerdin. Bleh, so over it. In PoE I'm loving being a witch, ranged attacks and summoning ftw.

In Skyrim I went heavy 2 handed all the way, which made the game uber-easy as soon as I had forged the Daedric armour... Converted to more of a 'nude mage' for the post-game lulz. Interesting to see if I keep that vibe going in the expansion...