Classic Games, Gaming, Hardware and Discussion.

Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
(4 votes)
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Would GP Forums benefit from a Classic Gaming forum

195 people have voted on this poll. You may not vote on this poll

Yes. Having everything located in one place would be great.
87 44.62%
No. Not worth the effort/ Not popular enough/ We have enough sub forums already
86 44.10%
Dont know or care either way
22 11.28%
  1. Post

2. Post
    cryocore wrote:

So would you like to see a dedicated sub forum about older games and hardware?
    cryocore nostalgia sub forum?

No, I don't think classic gaming needs a sub forum. Just use this thread you've created.

3. Post
    When you talk about older hardware I presume you mean consoles eh? Caus older hardware is kinda moot with dosbox but I figure you're already well aware of that. Otherwise I'm pretty keen for some discussion as I'm a big fan of a lot of older games. Only recently (maybe 4-5 months ago?) played through D2 + LoD for the first time. When the game originally came out the mentality in my subset of friends was either BG2 or D2! and I was a major fan of the former. Next up in the older games for me is hopefully going to be Commandos + expansion.. loved the demo but never played the full game

4. Post
    cryocore wrote:
    It was more so there would be a central hub for all of the retro/classic threads that pop up, and so that the Mods threads wont get lost and can be easily updated if needed.
    I think you've solved your problem by creating this thread. If you update it frequently, it'll stay near the top of the Games Discussion forum.

Unless you were hoping to get sub forum so you could become a mod?

5. Post
    Haisley wrote:
    I think you've solved your problem by creating this thread. If you update it frequently, it'll stay near the top of the Games Discussion forum.

Unless you were hoping to get sub forum so you could become a mod?
    I was talking to Matt about it, he was keen, and I have no illusions about modhood. You cant post like I do and expect any authority here which is AOK with me.

6. Post
    Actually I think a centralised hub would be a great idea. Whether this was in the form of a sub forum (probably later down the track if interest is there) or this thread stickied either option would be fine.

I know myself I have recently dusted off my PS1 to play some of my original games. And if I found Amiga's and other old consoles for sale I'd jump at the chance.

It would also give me an idea of classic games I've missed that I could track down.

7. Post
    Well my adoration of classic PC games is well known. I was inaccurately and insultingly tagged as a "Gaming Hipster" in one of JvJ's more prickly moments.

I probable play 45% retro/classics and 55% new games. Having just completed another run of KoTOR II which was really interesting with the now complete restoration mod installed. Anyone who liked it, or even felt irritated by the ending should give it a whirl. Its not "complete" but feels like a full game now, and the conclusion is FAR FAR FAR more satisfying.

8. Post
    I've recently purchased through both GOG and Steam some older PC games as I've missed out on some truly classic titles. I'm in the process of convincing myself to buy The Longest Journey and Dreamfall over buying new shoes for one of my babies!

9. Post
    Chickenman wrote:
    I'm in the process of convincing myself to buy The Longest Journey and Dreamfall over buying new shoes for one of my babies!
    I'm thinking the shoes are the right move despite TLJ and DF being spectacular

10. Post
    cryocore wrote:
    I'm thinking the shoes are the right move despite TLJ and DF being spectacular
    Yeah that's pretty much my thoughts too. Thankfully with digital distribution it's not like I've just found an out of print copy in a B&M store.

But they will be mine, yes they will be mine.

11. Post
    I think this is worse. Before I could clearly see threads that might have interested me, now I have to open a generic thread to search... I'm guaranteed to miss stuff

- if we restrict it to one thread. Forum I'm ok with but reckon it's fine as is

12. Post
    Limit0 wrote:
    I think this is worse. Before I could clearly see threads that might have interested me, now I have to open a generic thread to search... I'm guaranteed to miss stuff

- if we restrict it to one thread. Forum I'm ok with but reckon it's fine as is

which is why I wanted a forum. Somewhere that everything could be put, and wouldnt get swamped by other threads AND would destract from running threads. A simple put it in the retro forum would be enough to stop the thread derails that can happen.

Personally I think it extremely short sighted and biased to deny the creation of the Classics/Retro Sub-Forum.

Also I am not even suggesting that retro/classic threads not be made. Of course make them. I'll just link to them here if/when they drop of the first couple of pages so they dont get lost.

13. Post
    Can't see why it can't be in GD, it's not like there are too many threads.

14. Post
    I clicked no but actually it might be a cool idea. For some reason I have an urge to buy an Amiga and play Ninja Turtles.

15. Post
    GD already has several dead sub-forums, I don't see the harm in adding another.

16. Post
    Keep the new/current games in GD and have all the older stuff in Classic. Seems like a no brainer to me, and anyone not interested in Classic/retro games wouldnt even notice them any way. I would be interested as to why so many have said no, because if retro gaming isnt you kick why would you care if there was an extra sub forum you never go in to?

Should I veto the XBox forum because I never use it? Seems petty to me as its creation would not affect anyone not using it.

17. Post
    Murakami wrote:
    I clicked no but actually it might be a cool idea. For some reason I have an urge to buy an Amiga and play Ninja Turtles.
    Pretty much me. But swap out Ninja Turtles for Prince of Persia.

18. Post
    Classic games mean different things to different people -to some youngsters Halo 3 is a retro game...

I think we should have a sub-forum for mods/patches/addons though...

19. Post
    I don't feel like a subforum for something like this would exactly be full of heated discussion very often but would be incredibly useful just for a source of stickied information threads on the topic.

I think it might be a better idea to have some kind of archival subforum or miscellaneous subforum where more info-rific (ie guides on modding, troubleshooting, FAQs) threads that wouldn't fit in existing subforums can be placed without fear of being forgotten or being recreated/necro'd by settlers with random-ass comments.

20. Post
    Someone find me a copy of Warhammer 40,000: Chaos gate that works on Win7. Gogogogo

21. Post
    Do sub-forums take up any more space on the server? I could see them as a good way of 'filing' threads and making it easier to find ones related to what you're looking for.

22. Post
    Decided to start up ol splinter cell on the xbox, every now and then I go back to the xbox and told my brother that we'll go through Halo from the beginning on CO-OP Legendary.

Tried Red Faction 1 on a half dead laptop but mousepad is insufficient.

23. Post
    Chickenman wrote:
    Actually I think a centralised hub would be a great idea. Whether this was in the form of a sub forum (probably later down the track if interest is there) or this thread stickied either option would be fine.

I know myself I have recently dusted off my PS1 to play some of my original games. And if I found Amiga's and other old consoles for sale I'd jump at the chance.

It would also give me an idea of classic games I've missed that I could track down.
    I too, approve of such a sub forum. Love classic games

24. Post
    Ideally if it were to happen, and I REALLY hope it does it would be nice to build a community of classic gamers where games could be swapped or lent (seeing as DRM back in the day on PC didnt exist beyond disc checks and consoles were cart based). Mods could be listed and how to's on getting old games to run could be centralised. Parts for old machines could be sourced etc.

It would also reduce my posting in GD and come on thats gotta be worth the price of admission alone.

25. Post
    I'll have to vote against that. There really aren't enough active classic gamimg threads to justify a new subforum and, in my experience, splitting forums is bad for participation since people miss threads that they may be interested in.

A sticky thread with links or guides to getting older games working on modern OS's is a good idea though.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last