1. Post

Dragon Age Origins

I'm looking at this game to buy from steam.
    Just wondering if anyone has played it, is it worth buying? Is it interesting throughout the game and whatnot?

I've read through some reviews and liked what i saw but i don't really trust those reviews fully. I don't want to buy it then get bored because it's the same stuff over and over.

Store page : http://store.steampowered.com/app/17450/

2. Post
    I wanted to get a more recent view on it considering the game has been out for quite a while and minds change. Apparently people had enjoyed it though so i most likely will buy it, that's from the 2nd link you posted atleast.

3. Post
    BananaManzK3 wrote:
    I wanted to get a more recent view on it considering the game has been out for quite a while and minds change. Apparently people had enjoyed it though so i most likely will buy it, that's from the 2nd link you posted atleast.
    A recent view? No one reviews games that came out 4 years ago..

4. Post
    BananaManzK3 wrote:
    because it's the same stuff over and over.
    This is a good description of DA1's combat encounters, especially if you roll a mage. Most people use the same tactics over and over again.

Storywise though it's probably Bioware's best RPG since KotOR1. The companion characters are very memorable.

5. Post
    Rungus wrote:
    A recent view? No one reviews games that came out 4 years ago..
    Im not asking for a full on review. Im just asking for peoples recent opinions on this game instead of reading through the comments from 4 years back with everyone being hyped up about it and then to find out its crap.

This is a good description of DA1's combat encounters, especially if you roll a mage. Most people use the same tactics over and over again.

Storywise though it's probably Bioware's best RPG since KotOR1. The companion characters are very memorable.
    I normally do like playing mage, are you suggesting playing a different role or just to try out new things quite a bit. I guess either way i'll just end up playing all of them if i like the game haha.

But i guess i will buy the game when i have the cash for it. Seems good enough to keep me entertained for a while.

6. Post
    ^
    Roll whatever class you like. You'll probably have an easier time as a mage though since stun-lock and crowd control spells are so useful that most people spam those every battle.

The vanilla takes you ~80 hours if try do to everything. The expansion another 20 hours. The DLCs even more hours. The Ultimate Edition is super value for money.

7. Post
    I would have thought Mage to be less repetitive than the Warrior actually. But anyhoo, it's worth playing I think. But certainly could have been better. It's certainly not the reincarnation of BG2 that they promised in the hype leading up to the game

8. Post
    Oh and be sure to avoid the console versions. They were noticeably gimped ports of a game designed for PC.

9. Post
    Played it and beat it very recently for the first time on PC. It took me 60 hours and I did most stuff. I think it was good overall. My only recommendation I would make is try to work out which party members you want, which may then dictate who you will be. Also, it is possible for some party members to die if they are not with you, or hate you and leave if you make certain choices, so they are all things to keep under consideration. I micro-managed everything and played in the most zoomed out view to have the best view of the battlefield. I also forced v-sync on under nvidia settings otherwise it was terrible in cutscenes.

My party was mostly:
    Me - dual-wielding thief
    Alistair
    Morrigan
    Wynn

Though I tried most other characters for at least a little while. As mentioned earlier, mages kick serious multiple adversary ass. The fights can be made less repetitive by facing varied enemies, by getting new skills and weapons, and by changing who is in your party. I didn't find things too repetitive. Also, with the right skills, you can talk people out of fights if you want.

10. Post
    abominus wrote:
    I also forced v-sync on under nvidia settings otherwise it was terrible in cutscenes.
    The game does have in-game v-sync (as well as things like Anisotropic Filtering settings), it's just a variable command in a config file for some daft reason.

Attached Images

11. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    The game does have in-game v-sync (as well as things like Anisotropic Filtering settings), it's just a variable command in a config file for some daft reason.
    Ew, definately gonna have to disable that when i get it. Cheers for letting me know. I've been getting kinda bored lately with fps games so it would be good to start something new. I was REALLY keen to get Ni No Kuni but they only made it for the PS3.

Recently got the new most wanted and it seems "ok". Not as good as the old versions though but i could be stuck in the old age and just nitpicking. Graphics look dope.
    Definately will be getting DA:O sometime soon though. Most likely will start as a mage and then branch out from there.

12. Post
    Eww, playing without v-sync on. I find screen tearing unbearable, well worth the performance hit.

(You'll notice that there's a triple buffering option, that's meant to somewhat negate the lesser performance.)

13. Post
    Shale for Life, Funniest character in the game by far.