Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)
Page 1 of 18 123411 ... Last

1. Post

Dark Souls II

Debut gameplay footage.

(Original source?)

In-game Trailer

If it's a ****house PC port like the last one, I'll wait for a bargain bin sale. They have no excuses this time around.

2. Post
    DS2 is looking pretty good. Graphics upgrade is nice and the changes to monsters seem pretty smart: rolling backwards to prevent backstabs, busting through walls.

I just hope the item system is vast and the story doesn't suffer. Definitely a positive response to the gameplay

3. Post
    Did people actually play this game for the story?!

4. Post
    Dark Souls went from a game I had 0 interest in to one of my favorite games probably ever. Having watched the gameplay trailer, I'm pleased they haven't cocked it up. Still looks like it has the charm of the first one. Hope the port is better this time though!

5. Post
    I only looked into the story after my third of fourth game. Was damn impressed. It has so many layers and a lot of it is open to player interpretation which was really neat - got to read some awesome theories online. And I never show interest in this aspect of games.

Like Solaire's story. He's on the same quest as you but in his own universe. If you link up with him at all possible points through the game you can summon him for the final fight. He then uses the knowledge of your fight to go back into his universe and light the flame.

Or Siegmeyer's... trying to light the flame but keeps failing. It's up to the player to locate him and help him proceed. You come across him at different points in the game, either lamenting the obstacle ahead or losing faith in his own ability to proceed. His daughter features in the game and requests your help tracking down her father. And eventually
    Spoiler:

There's some really fantastic/sad stories in there.

6. Post
    Limit0 wrote:
    I only looked into the story after my third of fourth game. Was damn impressed. It has so many layers and a lot of it is open to player interpretation which was really neat - got to read some awesome theories online. And I never show interest in this aspect of games.

Like Solaire's story. He's on the same quest as you but in his own universe. If you link up with him at all possible points through the game you can summon him for the final fight. He then uses the knowledge of your fight to go back into his universe and light the flame.

Or Siegmeyer's... trying to light the flame but keeps failing. It's up to the player to locate him and help him proceed. You come across him at different points in the game, either lamenting the obstacle ahead or losing faith in his own ability to proceed. His daughter features in the game and requests your help tracking down her father. And eventually
    Spoiler:

There's some really fantastic/sad stories in there.
    Definitely. Some of the lore was really cool, too. I read into some of the lore behind some of the games zones and was just like 'whoa'

7. Post
    keen!!! +1 to more hours to throw the controller on the floor storm out / rage and then come crawling back.. haha!

8. Post
    Ooh don't think I've read lore about the zones. Will have to check that out!

9. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    If it's a ****house PC port like the last one, I'll wait for a bargain bin sale. They have no excuses this time around.
    What was wrong with the port, and have problems been fixed? I'm kinda keen to play the original, should I just pick it up on 360?

10. Post
    if ur talking demon souls, im pretty sure thats a playstation exclusive.
    it was free for PS+ recently. not sure if it still is, but i dont think they ended up closing down the servers
    dark souls is on xbox.

So keen on this darksouls 2!!

@limit - Siegmeyer is one of my favorite characters in that game. Even tho all the characters have awesome stories, i just love that part where hes all like "Perish, foul creatures! I am Siegmeyer of Catarina, and you shall feel my wrath!!!"
    such a soul

11. Post
    exis wrote:
    What was wrong with the port, and have problems been fixed? I'm kinda keen to play the original, should I just pick it up on 360?
    Locked at 720p, 30FPS, Xbox 360 control icons (IE: 'MOVE RIGHT ANALOG STICK' when using the keyboard), was a bit choppy considering the actual quality of the graphics, Anti-aliasing was a blur filter etc etc.

Thankfully, DSFix fixes 90% of these issues and there are a couple of other mods which fix PC controls, improve networking etc. You can also use texture mods from DS Nexus.

So long story short, it's been mostly fixed by modders. It's still not perfect, but it's far better than it was.

12. Post
    Xev wrote:
    Locked at 720p, 30FPS, Xbox 360 control icons (IE: 'MOVE RIGHT ANALOG STICK' when using the keyboard), was a bit choppy considering the actual quality of the graphics, Anti-aliasing was a blur filter etc etc.

Thankfully, DSFix fixes 90% of these issues and there are a couple of other mods which fix PC controls, improve networking etc. You can also use texture mods from DS Nexus.

So long story short, it's been mostly fixed by modders. It's still not perfect, but it's far better than it was.
    Whats the bet they'll put it **** all effort again and let the modders fix it.

13. Post
    Looks so f**king good, can't wait!

14. Post
    Looks epic!

And yeah this is a game you'll def want to play for the story.. these guys go above and beyond what the west tends to do for "dark" in terms of lore.... this is some true grimdark storytelling.. no happy fairytale endings here
    For a guy named EvilStarship, I sure know jack about Stars.

15. Post
    The reason why it was a direct port to PC was because
    a) the community demanded a PC version and the developers made it clear they'd only do a complete copy, no additional work
    b) they had never worked with PCs. Zero experience.

The biggest issue people had were the graphics, they were the same as the consoles. Which frankly is not much of an argument as gameplay trumps graphics always. This became irrelevant because on release DSFix was created which vastly improved the graphics/preformance.

It's not because they just spat out a port to make dollars, they had no experience and had no intention of making it for PC. They made the community well aware it'd only be a direct copy prior to release.

Now, the actual difference between the two version is GFWL. Games for Windows Live really fkd the PC release... massive issues trying to co-op, invade, etc. To this day I struggle to do those actions on PC, while it's the opposite on PS3. I also suspect it's due to the difference in players - PC players seem to swap games in and out a lot more than console players. Pretty sure the amount of PC players has dropped off significantly.

Overall, I recommend PC for the awesome graphics. The game is stunning.

16. Post
    Mannn I can't wait for this game! I loved the first one so I will definitely be buying this on day one for Xbox360.

17. Post
    I think they aren't using GWFL this time around, instead a dedicated server system which hopefully means less cheaters and easier co-op.

18. Post
    I just picked up a copy of the Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition on PC. (Only after watching the gameplay above for part 2).

I've known about this game for a while but never really played it so I'm GUESSING I'm in for a treat as I find games these days too easy and hand hold far too often.

Anyone still play this on PC and keen for some Co-Op? (also how does the co-op work in this?)

19. Post
    TALOON wrote:
    I just picked up a copy of the Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition on PC.
    Where did you buy from?

Cheapest I see at this point is G2Play, and I'm not sure I'm keen on dealing with them again.

20. Post
    Can't wait for this.

21. Post
    Looks great.

22. Post
    Dark Souls, ****ing best game ever.

23. Post
    TALOON wrote:
    (also how does the co-op work in this?)
    1. You need to be in human form to summon other players/NPCs. This is achieved by exchanging humanity (number at the top left) at a bonfire for 'reverse hollowing.'
    2. Look for yellow/white signs (similar look to the orange message ones). They're usually found near bonfires (but not in Firelink).
    3. To be summoned you need to use a white soapstone which is given to you a few hours into the game.

I think it's something like +/- 10 levels to view other players' signs. If you're really keen to co-op it's best to look online for the recommended level + zone.

24. Post
    Limit0 wrote:
    1. You need to be in human form to summon other players/NPCs. This is achieved by exchanging humanity (number at the top left) at a bonfire for 'reverse hollowing.'
    2. Look for yellow/white signs (similar look to the orange message ones). They're usually found near bonfires (but not in Firelink).
    3. To be summoned you need to use a white soapstone which is given to you a few hours into the game.

I think it's something like +/- 10 levels to view other players' signs. If you're really keen to co-op it's best to look online for the recommended level + zone.

Aweeeesome... I really don't know what any of those things are/mean but I'm sure after I have a bit of a play around with it I'll figure it out!

Will be keen once I've got my bearings sorted... This looks EPIC!