Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 35

  1. Post
    #1
    It's funny that I've noticed:

    * Popular Youtube celebrities who play games and entertain via their commentary on Youtube (e.g. ChrisSmoove, Robbaz, KSI) earn more than than top e-sport players on an individual p/year basis.
    * How many game servers are on Amazon EC2 cloud as tbh, the cheapness and scaleability of it has made dedicated game server boxes extremely redundant and yes, Amazon EC2 has server farms in Aussie now so no excuses here anymore.

  2. Post
    #2
    But I rather watch Robbaz with his sense of humour(or even Markiplier face during slender the arrival, when he clips through the floor and dies the very end of the level) than a bunch of boring esports people. Although I practically never watch youtube anymore.

  3. Post
    #3
    Robbaz is ****ing funny man. Way more exciting than watching Esports crap.

    When I'm in the zone I like watching DOTA 2 or SC 2 which is kinda fun.

  4. Post
    #4
    No idea who those people are.

    I'm so out of touch

  5. Post
    #5
    Outside of Valve titles, there aren't many relevant games where you're free to host anywhere. Battlefield servers can only be rented from EA's partner GSPs; Blops 2 uses matchmaking on top of publisher controlled dedicated servers.

    (Honestly I prefer Blops 2's solution, since community servers often have retarded rules and/or map rotations. Sometimes even retarded server-side mods.)

  6. Post
    #6
    ChineseKiwi wrote:
    It's funny that I've noticed:

    * Popular Youtube celebrities who play games and entertain via their commentary on Youtube (e.g. ChrisSmoove, Robbaz, KSI) earn more than than top e-sport players on an individual p/year basis.
    So? Are you saying eSport channels should earn more? For what reason? It's not strange that the streams that entertain more people earn more money.

    * How many game servers are on Amazon EC2 cloud as tbh, the cheapness and scaleability of it has made dedicated game server boxes extremely redundant and yes, Amazon EC2 has server farms in Aussie now so no excuses here anymore.
    As Eva pointed out this is because of limitations put in place by the developer and/or publisher.

  7. Post
    #7
    I observe that this could have been posted in the gaming general discussion thread.

    Also Chris Smoove ftw SppplaaAAAaassh
    Wells
    Guest

  8. Post
    #8
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    Outside of Valve titles, there aren't many relevant games where you're free to host anywhere.
    Which also give publishers and developers immense control over their game regarding user created content. I recall how fun custom maps were in CS, I don't think new BF or COD series would ever enable community created content because it undermines DLC sales.

  9. Post
    #9
    Necriss wrote:
    Which also give publishers and developers immense control over their game regarding user created content. I recall how fun custom maps were in CS, I don't think new BF or COD series would ever enable community created content because it undermines DLC sales.
    And holy **** do they gouge for these 3 new maps or what. Games with mod support get a crap load more of my money (i.e. above 0) then locked up 'creator controlled experience' railways. It is le sad man. Le sad as.

  10. Post
    #10
    Denker wrote:
    No idea who those people are.

    I'm so out of touch
    same, altho I prefer to play games myself then to watch others play them :S

  11. Post
    #11
    Nakor wrote:
    And holy **** do they gouge for these 3 new maps or what. Games with mod support get a crap load more of my money (i.e. above 0) then locked up 'creator controlled experience' railways. It is le sad man. Le sad as.
    it is because it is easily traceable on HOW much they can earn where as mod support is difficult to sell to the bean counters without the numbers to back it up. It is a hard sell when you say if you allow mod support you X more sales because that X more is extremely hard to judge or get feedback on where as selling X dlc map pack ( and at minimal developer hours as well ) is easily traceable via sales slips..

  12. Post
    #12
    nutcaze wrote:
    same, altho I prefer to play games myself then to watch others play them :S

  13. Post
    #13
    Its good to watch someone else play a game for 5-10 minutes before investing the time required in purchased or acquiring the game, installing it, rocking through 15 minutes then realizing its not your thing.

  14. Post
    #14
    Nakor wrote:
    And holy **** do they gouge for these 3 new maps or what. Games with mod support get a crap load more of my money (i.e. above 0) then locked up 'creator controlled experience' railways. It is le sad man. Le sad as.
    This. Though TBH it wasn't BC2/BF3 that was the end of custom maps/mods for the BF series, it was BF2's stats system. Why play custom maps when you won't get stats/awards/unlocks for it?

  15. Post
    #15
    Blue Vein CHEESE wrote:
    Why play custom maps when you won't get stats/awards/unlocks for it?
    Achievements and all that intangible nothing reward system...how many people actually pay attention to it? I dont know anyone irl that games that actively 'get' achievements and all that crap. Stats are fine...but if your engine cant count head shots in *any* map you have designed it wrong. Dont matter what map you are on, when the headshot graphic pops up in the generic [X shot Y] HUD kill feed there is something going on somewhere you can count. Ive checked my stats a couple times out of interest but really give no ****s about them, just wanted to know what they said. I do understand why some people would enjoy them and to an extent achievements but i would never consider either when deciding on purchasing a game.

    Thats just me, im sensible maybe?

  16. Post
    #16
    Bt wrote:
    Its good to watch someone else play a game for 5-10 minutes before investing the time required in purchased or acquiring the game, installing it, rocking through 15 minutes then realizing its not your thing.
    Yer i do this, will watch a youtube video of someone playing the game to get a better idea before i bother to waste cap on it. But i don't fanboy these gamers, most of them are complete noob i've found and have no idea what they are talking about.

    Yes i'm better than everyone else mentality, because of this i struggle with being a fan of any gamer.

  17. Post
    #17
    Is Minecraft the most heavily modded game on the market these's days? What kind of mod HASN'T been made for it yet?
    Is this the reason why it's still selling really well?

  18. Post
    #18
    Real sports have a defined ruleset, but the human element and individuality of players/teams are what make them so interesting to watch. e-Sports players are not only bound by the ruleset of their particular game, but also the constraints of the game engine which is why in almost every game there are "optimal" strategies that everyone follows with the only difference between players being the execution of that same strategy.

    For example, for the majority of football teams the most efficient way to play might be to smash long balls in the air up to their 6 foot plus centre forward, the same way the most efficient way to play League of Legends is to run a 1/1/2 lane configuration with a jungler - the difference is that when you get to the higher leagues only a few football teams actually play that way because of the human element.

    The individual characteristics and strengths of their players lead to completely different styles of play - Bayern Munich for example have a lot of extremely talented, fast attacking players so they pressure very, very high on the pitch and try and win the ball back before it ever gets close to their defenders while Barcelona have a midfield stacked with excellent playmakers and so they focus on a lot of short passing sideways and even backwards to wear down the other team's discipline and open up attacking gaps in their ranks.

    Going back to the League of Legends analogy, the difference between any two professional teams is minor at best. Some focus slightly more on farming and teamfights while others like to press the action earlier but at the end of the day they are all doing the exact same thing with the same lane setup, the same characters and the same plays being made. Even looking at individual players within those teams, the difference between any two given bottom lanes is just mechanical skill in the game engine as opposed to styles of play with varying strengths and weaknesses.

    TL;DR e-Sports are crap

  19. Post
    #19
    Celticknife wrote:
    Real sports have a defined ruleset, but the human element and individuality of players/teams are what make them so interesting to watch. e-Sports players are not only bound by the ruleset of their particular game, but also the constraints of the game engine which is why in almost every game there are "optimal" strategies that everyone follows with the only difference between players being the execution of that same strategy.
    TL;DR e-Sports are crap
    Don't agree at all. I played Battlefield competitively for a number of years, the beauty is while people adapt to an "optimal" strategy, that creates openings for other strategies which could be successful if well executed, it was a constant evolution.

    Its no different to rugby, the players are bound to the ruleset, but are also bound by the "engine" being a 100m long field, an oval-shaped ball, gravity, size/shape of goalposts, etc.

  20. Post
    #20
    The difference being in real life different people run faster/are stronger/can jump higher/have better sidestepping than other players, in a videogame everybody is identical which leads to stagnation.

  21. Post
    #21
    Celticknife wrote:
    The difference being in real life different people run faster/are stronger/can jump higher/have better sidestepping than other players, in a videogame everybody is identical which leads to stagnation.
    I'd disagree with this. There are serious skill differences in micro between professional players.

  22. Post
    #22
    ChineseKiwi wrote:
    tbh:

    * tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh, tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh, tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh.
    * tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh, tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh. tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh, tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh.
    This is all I see when CK posts.

  23. Post
    #23
    Rii wrote:
    This is all I see when CK posts.
    If he was always honest, he wouldn't need to bother typing that all the time.

  24. Post
    #24
    Celticknife wrote:
    The difference being in real life different people run faster/are stronger/can jump higher/have better sidestepping than other players, in a videogame everybody is identical which leads to stagnation.
    That would depend on the game. Many games can be played with varying styles. Not to mention some people have faster reactions, better awareness, and a variety of other skills which all play their part in games.

  25. Post
    #25
    eug1404 wrote:
    I'd disagree with this. There are serious skill differences in micro between professional players.
    Agreed, but what I'm saying is that skill is not the only dividing factor between professional athletes. Varying physical attributes and mindsets are just as important in making sport a compelling viewing experience. Pro gamers can be better than other pro gamers, but very rarely can they be different to other pro gamers.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last