Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Looking for a new MMO?

Hey guys

City State Entertainment are making a new MMORPG called Camelot Unchained.

CSE is headed up by Mark Jacobs from Mythic Entertainment and and Andrew Meggs also from Mythic but most recently worked on Skyrim.

Mythic Entertainment made an MMO called Dark Age of Camelot, it was in its prime around 10 years ago, and ever since I've been looking for something that came close to the excitement I felt playing this game. Nothing has compared.

The best part of Dark Age of Camelot was the Realm vs Realm pvp. It pitted 3 warring factions against each other in medival battle for supremacy. Tri-realm combat has never been successfully reproduced since DAoC until possibly now.

Camelot Unchained (working title) is based on 3 pillars of gameply. RvR Tri-realm combat, Crafting and player housing. There will be no leveling from killing NPC's. (you still kill NPC's for crafting/building mats etc) All exp is gained by killing other players.

It would be really awesome to get a kiwi/aussie community going in this game so I have people to play with that play in my peak times!

They are trying to make this game without having to use the backing of a major publisher so that they do not have restrictions put on them and are trying to raise $2million via Kickstarter. Depending on the amount pledged you receive in-game or physical rewards. I.e alpha/beta access among other things. If the 2mil is raised Mark Jacobs is going to put 2mil of his own money into the game along with another 1million he has secured in backing for the project.

I don't explain it well enough but if you are interested you can get more information at the following links.

CSE official website: http://citystateentertainment.com/

Camelot Unchained Kickstarter page: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...elot-unchained

Unofficial FAQ and information page: http://camelotunchained.wikispaces.c...+Unchained+FAQ

If only 1 person from this site gets as excited about this game as I am, ill consider that a success!

Cheers

Mace

2. Post
    macellis wrote:
    If only 1 person from this site gets as excited about this game as I am, ill consider that a success!
    mission successful? http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/466419/

3. Post
    Settlers gonna settle.

4. Post
    Tony Cipriani wrote:
    oh awesome, ty

5. Post
    I myself prefer small scale pvp with even numbers, more skill based and balanced e.g. wow arena or arathi basin. Never realized the appeal in mass pvp, its basically who has the bigger zerg force.

6. Post
    Necriss wrote:
    I myself prefer small scale pvp with even numbers, more skill based and balanced e.g. wow arena or arathi basin. Never realized the appeal in mass pvp, its basically who has the bigger zerg force.
    Yep. Very true at times.
    In DAoC i generally ran in a group of the same 8 ppl night afta loking for other groups of 8 to fight. The chance ur batle got jammed by extras added to the excitement/challenge

7. Post
    Bt wrote:
    Settlers gonna settle.

8. Post
    But in Camelot Unchained those settlers will be able to build a house to settle in

I'm personally happy to see more games that break the WoW mold.

9. Post
    CoRk wrote:
    But in Camelot Unchained those settlers will be able to build a house to settle in

I'm personally happy to see more games that break the WoW mold.
    Yea me too. Its become so stale. Last few mmo's i havn't even read the quests, jst accept look for markers kill next.

Not fun anymore.

10. Post
    macellis wrote:
    MMOs
    Not fun anymore.
    /thread

11. Post
    In concept I think MMOs are great, it's just that they suffer from some major flaws in execution. I fondly remember games like Ultima Online as being about partaking in and developing a world. But this got supplanted by games like Everquest and Lineage which turned the focus onto obsessively killing things in a horribly repetitive fashion.

12. Post
    I'm still crying over SWTOR, so much potential. gah!

13. Post
    Stimpy wrote:
    I'm still crying over SWTOR, so much potential. gah!
    This is how i feel about warhammer online

14. Post
    Me too, I really liked WHO. If only the PvE were better and the fort raids were more thought out (ie didnt lag as soon as 10 people came along)

15. Post
    Anyone played Conan: Unchained? What's the single player experience like?

16. Post
    Bt wrote:
    Me too, I really liked WHO. If only the PvE were better and the fort raids were more thought out (ie didnt lag as soon as 10 people came along)
    Yea Mark Jacobs has said a few times he was really frustrated that he was forced to release WHO early and admits it wasn't finished.

17. Post
    during one drinking session a group of us had a big bitchfest about what the next mmorpg needs to have to bring us all back in

the holy trinity makeup. I know so many folk hate this but this made the game interesting, everyone had a role to play and had to play that role well to succeed

progression at a hard and steady pace. Shinies, we will all get shinies and from blues to purples to orange need time and effort. Old wow got it done right, every purple earned once a week was treasured and regretfully discard come expansion time , an upgrade 1 / 4-6 months was a steady pace , which is why SWTOR and new wow and even GW2 held no interest to us, it was too easy. All of us liked Vanilla wow and despite the insanity of EQ, we all understood that difficulty made things better

3 way meaningful pvp within the server. No x realm, no weekly change of opponents. You knew who the opposing side was and you got ganked by their 6/8 man crews / stealth gankers and you learnt to fight back against them. That is what x-realms killed in WoW and also in GW2. It was just some generic opponent whom was a faceless colour and in wow's case your ally were guys whom you did not give 2 cents about. Relic raids was fun, disjointed numbers was what killed the rvr. Hell i liked the griefing and the "forced" pvp. I got ganked and camped by randoms and i did the same.

Gear should matter. That is what GW2 bores the crap out of all of us. We stopped pve because the pve was boring, ie hit the dodge button harder , we got bored of pvp because killing the other coloured guy without gear or grief was not fun. it was fun to stomp and make the opposition cry. It was equally fun to get back and stomp the opposition after getting stomped ..

WHO was actually pretty good in many things, the initial gameplay with the community and open events , the graphics and humour, was all well done. The gameplay was just badly badly done and unfinished. There was so much wastage ingame that it was horrible and the no mana mechanics did not help imho.

18. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    during one drinking session a group of us had a big bitchfest about what the next mmorpg needs to have to bring us all back in

the holy trinity makeup. I know so many folk hate this but this made the game interesting, everyone had a role to play and had to play that role well to succeed

progression at a hard and steady pace. Shinies, we will all get shinies and from blues to purples to orange need time and effort. Old wow got it done right, every purple earned once a week was treasured and regretfully discard come expansion time , an upgrade 1 / 4-6 months was a steady pace , which is why SWTOR and new wow and even GW2 held no interest to us, it was too easy. All of us liked Vanilla wow and despite the insanity of EQ, we all understood that difficulty made things better

3 way meaningful pvp within the server. No x realm, no weekly change of opponents. You knew who the opposing side was and you got ganked by their 6/8 man crews / stealth gankers and you learnt to fight back against them. That is what x-realms killed in WoW and also in GW2. It was just some generic opponent whom was a faceless colour and in wow's case your ally were guys whom you did not give 2 cents about. Relic raids was fun, disjointed numbers was what killed the rvr. Hell i liked the griefing and the "forced" pvp. I got ganked and camped by randoms and i did the same.

Gear should matter. That is what GW2 bores the crap out of all of us. We stopped pve because the pve was boring, ie hit the dodge button harder , we got bored of pvp because killing the other coloured guy without gear or grief was not fun. it was fun to stomp and make the opposition cry. It was equally fun to get back and stomp the opposition after getting stomped ..

WHO was actually pretty good in many things, the initial gameplay with the community and open events , the graphics and humour, was all well done. The gameplay was just badly badly done and unfinished. There was so much wastage ingame that it was horrible and the no mana mechanics did not help imho.
    Agree. Time to get back to basics. Big raids, no easy epics, free for all world PVP, cultivate intense cross faction enmity and hate.

Oh and absolutely zero tolerance for ultra sexualised Korean MMO art design.

19. Post
    I go back and play a month of WAR every few months or so. I still hate the fact it face planted pretty hard. Had my collectors edition ordered as soon as possible and then everything broke pretty early after launch.. I can't remember how long after the launch they added Choppa and I think the other was the Slayer or something. Aah so disappointed.

20. Post
    Oh yeah, I /liked/ WAR. I'd play it now if it wasn't for the server population. Can't imagine many people are STILL subbing to this game. But I only liked it for the PVP and setting. I'd just spend all my time leveling in RvR and Minigames. Didn't care if it was a slower way of leveling, it was just more fun. The PvE was extremely lackluster in comparison.

Age of Conan? Also didn't mind too much, but my PC at launch had horrible performance issues with it despite being well above spec... and well, the game had many many issues. But got to say, teaming up with my group of friends and inching out into the world, fighting all who would try and interrupt and kill us during our quests, sneaking around to get the drop on other people.... it was a way awesome experience. Except for the complete lack of balance and broken skills and a retarded development team who couldn't get a single patch right without messing it up somehow.

21. Post
    It's a real shame Warhammer Online failed because there's so much they could've explored and taken from in the Warhammer universe. We'll probably never see any of that in a pc game now.

WvW is pretty solid in GW2 now. PvE is still unrewarding(not referring to a lack of treadmill) apart from the world events, most of which are just afk time.

22. Post
    If Warhammer Online ever goes F2P they could still make some money off it, like LOTRO and DDO style F2P

I'd give it a good smash - they have to do it soon however before the graphics look terribly dated ;P

23. Post
    Bt wrote:
    If Warhammer Online ever goes F2P they could still make some money off it, like LOTRO and DDO style F2P

I'd give it a good smash - they have to do it soon however before the graphics look terribly dated ;P
    That is prob the only way i'd reinstall it heh

24. Post
    [MMO Nostalgia Forums]

I'm still going strong-ish on WoW, after playing from Vanilla, just because the combat kicks the shit out of any other MMO I've ever played and the gear grind is still very enjoyable for me, along with Heroic raiding progression still being a very challenging, competitive and just huge part of the game for me. Not to mention achievements adding so much longevity to it all. And transmogrification, awe gee.

I will admit that the social thing was a big part of the game for me earlier on but it has dropped off for me - some will say that this is because of LFR and LFG, cross-realm stuff, etc etc, but personally it's just because I don't particularly enjoy playing with average players and randoms anymore, not like I used to. It's very rare that I'll want to join a PUG for a regular raid being formed in Trade chat or whatever (and yeah, they do happen, possibly not as much as they used to, but then again, maybe just as much considering the regular raids are a little more accessible than they used to be) because they're often filled with bads and I can't be arsed sorting them out anymore, whereas that used to be fun for me.

I've never lasted long on any other MMO if I tried to play them the same way that I played WoW. Rift was a lot of fun but I went into it trying to find a WoW-like experience but got let down, as I had with WAR and LOTRO, because while the things that I enjoy from WoW are present in the game, they just aren't as well done, and the unique things that they do offer aren't all that amazing.

SWTOR kept my attention for a while because it had some very BioWare storytelling which I actually enjoyed a lot (even while, at launch, the combat was completely ****ed from my perspective because of in-game latency issues) but the endgame was just WoW-like, but not as good, with the things that made the rest of the game - ie the leveling experience - awesome, bogging down the endgame experience for me.

Guild Wars is the only other MMO that I've invested a decent amount of time into (coming 2nd after WoW, quite a long away from WoW, though) purely because it was so very different and it actually had something worth coming back to which was, for me, the story campaigns. I had so much fun playing through Prophecies with a friend of mine in the same room, that was something WoW couldn't really replicate as when you got into the PvE experience in GW it was much more like a co-op RPG than it was an MMO [Semantics discussion here] and it was really satisfying overcoming some of those challenges together. And, for some reason, I really got into hunting Elite skills (this is on my Ranger) and farming up the materials required for this awesome-looking Sunspear or whatever gear from the Nightfall expansion. Good times, I played plenty of GW even though I really didn't get into the PvP part of it at all.

Anyway, MMO rant over.

25. Post
    Bt wrote:

I say it every time a MMO thread comes up but I'm firmly convinced Warhammer was the best MMO I've ever played. It had issues, sure but so does every other MMO at launch but for the 2 or 3 months I played that I had more fun than in any of the other MMOs I've played.