1. Post
    Don't you guys have certain games anymore where you actually derive pleasure from knowing you will have it minute one?

The hype train and shared community feels leading up to a launch and after it is half the fun for certain rare games (Witcher/ME/TES etc) for me.

Now Bethesda/Obsidian games I could understand if you put off buying due to bugginess, but BioWare are pretty good in that department (at least for an RPG dev).

2. Post
    I was thinking about preordering yesterday..but then its always better to wait. Sale is over too

3. Post
    IST wrote:
    Don't you guys have certain games anymore where you actually derive pleasure from knowing you will have it minute one?

The hype train and shared community feels leading up to a launch and after it is half the fun for certain rare games (Witcher/ME/TES etc) for me.

Now Bethesda/Obsidian games I could understand if you put off buying due to bugginess, but BioWare are pretty good in that department (at least for an RPG dev).
    No, not at all. I anticipate any number of games, but I wont pre-order them. I mean why risk it? Also its not like the game is going to up and vanish if you havn't spent money on it before its released.
    I will however buy a CE once or twice a year (2 in 2016) specifically because I wanted the statue, and it was part of a franchise I was already invested in, but apart from that the idea of pre-ordering a game seems idiotic as hell, and the "bonuses" are nothing but bait, and never anything of quality (you could make the same accusation for a CE, but I've only ever regretted one CE purchase and that was actually a BioWare game. **** you shitty Dragon Age Inquisition CE).

In the end the ONLY thing achieved by pre-ordering is making it easier for publishers to release games unfinished or unpolished, and rely on players premature financial investment to keep them in the game until its fixed. Who the **** cares about minute one, or even day one? I'm not 8 and in need of instant gratification. I'll wait until I know what the quality is actually like. Hell I seldom even play the games I did buy CE's for on day one.

Haisley wrote:
    Pre-ordering is pre-ordering. Regardless of what else you get with it.
    Its hard to argue that, but again I have no other option if I want a statue or collectible. Unlike standard pre-orders where you lose nothing if you don't pre-order.

4. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    No, not at all. I anticipate any number of games, but I wont pre-order them. I mean why risk it? Also its not like the game is going to up and vanish if you havn't spent money on it before its released.
    I will however buy a CE once or twice a year (2 in 2016) specifically because I wanted the statue, and it was part of a franchise I was already invested in, but apart from that the idea of pre-ordering a game seems idiotic as hell, and the "bonuses" are nothing but bait, and never anything of quality (you could make the same accusation for a CE, but I've only ever regretted one CE purchase and that was actually a BioWare game. **** you shitty Dragon Age Inquisition CE).

In the end the ONLY thing achieved by pre-ordering is making it easier for publishers to release games unfinished or unpolished, and rely on players premature financial investment to keep them in the game until its fixed. Who the **** cares about minute one, or even day one? I'm not 8 and in need of instant gratification. I'll wait until I know what the quality is actually like. Hell I seldom even play the games I did buy CE's for on day one.

Its hard to argue that, but again I have no other option if I want a statue or collectible. Unlike standard pre-orders where you lose nothing if you don't pre-order.
    Speaking of CEs and figurines: I just got this little beauty - once my new game room setup is done it's going to be sa-weeeeet

This will complement the Mass Effect and TES ones I got at the mo

Edit: Not sure why it's coming up sideways, can't seem to fix it either...weird! He must have cast Aard on my camera

5. Post
    IST wrote:

Last games I pre-ordered were Witcher 3 and Fallout 4. Both of which I still play over a year down the track. Before that, can't even recall. Maybe ME2? So no regrets there.

But generally, I just wait for games to come on sale during big steam sales.

6. Post
    ChrisB wrote:

I get it bro, it's a necessary evil to get your loot.

7. Post
    Collector's Editions are the only reason I pre-order these days. I'm getting the PS4 Diecast model CE. Will get the PC retail version from probably JB Hi-Fi on launch day and pawn off that PS4 disc ASAP.

8. Post
    Have you seen the CE Nomad in action? It's ridic fun looking, love the camera controls, crazy tech!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

9. Post
    I pre order day or two before to guarantee my shipment from mighty ape. 👍

10. Post
    I pre order all the time, that way the money is spent before the GF knows it's spare

Only been 'burnt' once, and that was on arkham asylum which to be fair, apart from having to turn the settings down a little, was still a great game

11. Post
    That diecast Nomad is sick, but **** 300 dollars.

12. Post
    IST wrote:
    Have you seen the CE Nomad in action? It's ridic fun looking, love the camera controls, crazy tech!
    No interest. I'm not paying $449 for a RC car.

13. Post
    bionic.man wrote:
    That diecast Nomad is sick, but **** 300 dollars.
    More like $210 if you sell the game. Still I wouldn't spend that amount on a collector's edition, it's just not my thing and have no interest in it.

14. Post
    the only collectors item I've ever wanted/still want is a Fallout 3 bobblehead

15. Post

People really do look back at Mass Effect 1 through rose-tinted glasses. It was janky as f*ck, filled with shitty gameplay systems. The combat was terrible, seriously enemies had Wolfenstein 3D-esque AI and would all bum-rush you.

The loot was all samey shit, with just minute stat differences between gear. ME2 boiling everything done to a roster of a dozen or so unique weapons was fantastic, weapons actually felt different and complemented different play styles that way. Removing weapon attachments went too far though but ME3 bringing those back struck a great balance between the character building depth of ME1 and overall more enjoyable action experience of ME2. The weight system in ME3 was also a fantastic addition that restored some sense you were building a specific character.

Inventory management was an absolute chore. Leaving that shit on the cutting room floor for ME2 was a great move, but they went a bit too far with the lack of diversity in armour pieces. ME3 remedied that quite well with the increased variety of armour pieces.

That being said you only really had a sense of exploration in ME1 with the ability to land and drive around on planets. It was let-down by the endless copypasta and palette-swapping. They really should've improved the planet exploration over ME2&3 rather than scrapping everything there. The planet scanning was just a different kind samey, monotonous bullshit. I'm happy that might finally get back a semblance that we're exploring in Andromeda, hopefully it's all with individually hand-made content rather than procedurally generated-feeling copypasta crap.

ME3 dumping hacking mini-games altogether was fantastic, those are almost always dreadful in videogames. Only Deus Ex: HR & MD have a good one really.

I'm really looking forward to Andromeda. Mass Effect is a series of games that I love very much. I hope that we finally get a perfect mix of ingredients from the original trilogy's strong points in one game.

16. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:

People really do look back at Mass Effect 1 through rose-tinted glasses. It was janky as f*ck, filled with shitty gameplay systems. The combat was terrible, seriously enemies had Wolfenstein 3D-esque AI and would all bum-rush you.

The loot was all samey shit, with just minute stat differences between gear. ME2 boiling everything done to a roster of a dozen or so unique weapons was fantastic, weapons actually felt different and complemented different play styles that way. Removing weapon attachments went too far though but ME3 bringing those back struck a great balance between the character building depth of ME1 and overall more enjoyable action experience of ME2. The weight system in ME3 was also a fantastic addition that restored some sense you were building a specific character.

Inventory management was an absolute chore. Leaving that shit on the cutting room floor for ME2 was a great move, but they went a bit too far with the lack of diversity in armour pieces. ME3 remedied that quite well with the increased variety of armour pieces.

That being said you only really had a sense of exploration in ME1 with the ability to land and drive around on planets. It was let-down by the endless copypasta and palette-swapping. They really should've improved the planet exploration over ME2&3 rather than scrapping everything there. The planet scanning was just a different kind samey, monotonous bullshit. I'm happy that might finally get back a semblance that we're exploring in Andromeda, hopefully it's all with individually hand-made content rather than procedurally generated-feeling copypasta crap.

ME3 dumping hacking mini-games altogether was fantastic, those are almost always dreadful in videogames. Only Deus Ex: HR & MD have a good one really.

I'm really looking forward to Andromeda. Mass Effect is a series of games that I love very much. I hope that we finally get a perfect mix of ingredients from the original trilogy's strong points in one game.
    Yeap, agreed muchly. I think the factor that trumps all the shit that was wrong with ME1 is the exploration thing though, ME2 & 3 never really recaptured that feeling at all, and it was my favourite aspect of ME1. And I hope that BioWare have kept Inquisition firmly in mind when developing Andromeda's open worlds and not made them 90% busywork

I think the armour system and attachment system are things that I'd like improved the most from ME3. I liked their addition, and the armour stats etc were better than they were in ME2, but it did feel dumb just picking up random pieces of gear sitting in the middle of the path which then gave me an arbitrary amount of extra whatever. And an armour penetration or something mod for my SMG changing the colour of it for some reason.

17. Post
    I am 3/4 of the way through a replay of ME1 and it still holds up.

My biggest problem is that I started fresh so don't have access to the two highest difficulty settings. Right now my team is too OP I have myself and Garrus loaded up with damage enhancers and explosive rounds in our sniper rifles just one-shotting everybody.

18. Post
    Another bad point of ME1 I just remembered is that some classes were too samey to point where there was little point in playing certain ones. Eg Why bother with Engineer when Infiltrator did everything the former did but more? Mass Effect 2 did a really good job of making each class feel unique, each bringing different strengths to the table. Eg ME's Infiltrator became all about being a sniper getting the drop on people with cloak, while Engineer become all about debuffs and crowd control. It says something that the key person responsible for ME2's classes Christina Norman went on to be a lead designer at Riot Games, working on LoL.

19. Post
    I have to say, I'm on the fence about the combat in this game. Seems a bit too streamlined. I really hope that cover remains viable and the test player was just shit at the game.

I also dislike the visual similarities to Inquisition. Pretty sure I saw some signature bioware waddle walking in the gameplay trailers.

20. Post
    ME1 still the best in the series. Don't like how 2 and 3 reek of desperation.

Combat is forced, always in a rush, scrapping for ammo. It's cringeworthy how much it lacks in design and imagination.

2 is extra cringey for the waifu fest.

21. Post
    bionic.man wrote:
    Combat is forced, always in a rush, scrapping for ammo. It's cringeworthy how much it lacks in design and imagination.
    ME1 felt like they took a dice-roll, RtwP CRPG and then bolted on a shitty, poorly programmed and janky as all hell 3rd person shooter.

Go back and really look at the class building for each playable class in ME2&3. It is definitely for from the opposite of "lacking in design".

I really feel that ChrisB's BiowEAr meme doesn't really apply to ME2&3's combat (Other things like DLC business models though? Certainly). The fact that ME1 had a 3rd person cover combat system in the first place hints that ME2's combat was a direction that Bioware always intended to take with the series IMO.

22. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    ME1 felt like they took a dice-roll, RtwP CRPG and then bolted on a shitty, poorly programmed and janky as all hell 3rd person shooter.

Go back and really look at the class building for each playable class in ME2&3. It is definitely for from the opposite of "lacking in design".

I really feel that ChrisB's BiowEAr meme doesn't really apply to ME2&3's combat (Other things like DLC business models though? Certainly). The fact that ME1 had a 3rd person cover combat system in the first place hints that ME2's combat was a direction that Bioware always intended to take with the series IMO.
    You haven't really addressed anything I said, and I don't need to go back to check if I was bored/rushed with combat in 2, regardless how it looks on paper.

Shoddily equipped room after shodilly propped room, with endless waves of creep and waiting for ammo to spawn was directly opposite of fun imho.

23. Post
    bionic.man wrote:
    2 is extra cringey for the waifu fest.
    Coming off of KotOR, ME1's cast of characters were driest and most boring incarnations of Bioware's repeated companion character tropes to date at that time IMO (sans Jacob, he can f*ck off). Eg It took ME2 turning Garrus into Dirty Harry with a sniper rifle and a scar to make him interesting. The back stories alone for Grunt and Miranda made them more interesting than Wrex and Ashley.

24. Post
    bionic.man wrote:
    Shoddily equipped room after shodilly propped room, with endless waves of creep and waiting for ammo to spawn was directly opposite of fun imho.
    You remember Dragon Age: Origins? It's level design is exactly as you described, do you feel the same about that game? My memories of DA:O:- Spamming shortcut number keys whilst waiting for cooldowns like you're playing a WoW clone MMO. Repeating the same tactics over and over again in a 80-100 hour game.

Just like with ME1 you could play ME2 & 3 like RtWP CRPGs, I know this because that's exactly how I played ME2&3. Eg choosing companion characters to complement my character's class, eg companion A because they could debuff energy shields and armour, companion B because they could debuff biotic shields and had offensive biotic crowd control powers. I always pausing in ME2&3 to position my companions and aim powers.

25. Post
    ME1 combat is trash.