1. Post

2. Post
    I have only just started getting into Whisky.

My current stocks of Whiskey are

Glenfiddich 12yr
    Glenfiddich 15yr - Uniique Solera Reserve
    Glenfiddich 18yr - Small Batch Reserve
    Singleton15yr
    Jameson

I don't have a great variety, nor have i gotten to the point that i can distinguish flavors and so on.
    But from what i have experienced, this is what i know.

I have to say, i much prefer a Single Malt, but i have only really tried 2 blended Whiskey's, one of which was Vat 69 - was definately not a fan. When i say "Burn" im meaning that tight feeling you get like you just inhaled petrol.

Jamesons - Not much to say really. I have used it in Glazing meatloaf - works brilliant for that. Otherwise, i haven't really drunk it.
    Price $40(ish)

Glenfiddich 12yr - Relatively easy to drink neat, aside from a slight "Burn", i think its a good place to start.
    I have had probably 4 bottles of this over the last 3-4 years. 99% of the time i drink it neat, or on rocks. Occasionally Mountain Dew as a mixer wasn't bad.
    Price $65-$75

After a couple of bottles of the 12yr, i figured i'd step it up to the 15yr.

Glenfiddich 15yr - Solera Reserve - I wasn't prepared for how smooth this was going to be. Not only was there next to no "Burn" it also smells and taste's amazingly sweet. If i could recommend Whiskey to a new drinker, this would probably be my go to. Its pricier than the 12yr ( $120ish if i recall, vs $65-$75), but its hands down a far better drop.
    Price $120(ish)?

After the 15yr, i was interested to see where the 18yr went from there. Was it going to be smoother? More flavor? Luckily, i was travelling, so i picked up a bottle at Duty Free on my way home.

Glenfiddich 18yr - Small Batch Reserve - After the 15yr, i had high hopes for the 18yr. It smells great, more aromatic than the 15yr. Certainly more flavor, not that i can truly appreciate it however. This did take a small step back in terms of its got a slight "Burn", similar to the 12yr, but the flavor holds much better afterwards.
    Price $130(Duty Free)

Singleton 15yr - While i was at Duty Free they suggested SIngleton's as a similar drop to the Glenfiddich. This is similar to the 18yr. Has a different flavor, but is the same in regards to "Burn" and after taste.

If anyone can give me their recommendations on other Single Malts, or a Decent Blended i wouldn't mind trying/expanding my stocks.

3. Post
    Personally I really like the Auchentoshan single malt triple distilled, very smooth. Have yet to try the 21yr maybe next time I head overseas.

4. Post
    DeazeNZ wrote:
    Malts, or a Decent Blended i wouldn't mind trying/expanding my stocks.
    Are you still in Hamilton? Wonder Horse runs an excellent whisky club the third Wednesday of the month which I would highly recommend:

Wonder Horse proudly presents our monthly ritual of delighting in quality distillates!

Take a journey with us through 6 unique and delicious Whiskies(and sometimes other things) plus a tasty little treat to stave off hunger.

Alex needs bookings so let him know if you'd like to come(or if you've got a question) via email at - alex@wonderhorse.co.nz

All this plus a little banter for only:
    $40 for bookings
    $50 on the night

We look forward to seeing you there!

Kindest regards,
    The Wonder Horse Team
    It's sharply priced, and a good way to try a bunch of different whiskies - I found when first starting out being able to compare different whiskies along side each other was really helpful to work out the differences/nuances.

5. Post
    I don't know my Whiskys but slowly learning.

GF got me a Nikka Blended -

Quite enjoyed it.

6. Post
    Rii wrote:
    GF got me a Nikka Blended
    Nikka From the Barrel (which is available locally) is really good too (better imo) - probably my favourite blended whisky.

7. Post
    Just cracked a limited release 8yr old Lagavulin . It's lovely. Am enjoying some younger whiskey at the moment. Here's my currently open bottles.
    Name:  1489377118268.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  649.5 KB

8. Post
    Oh man, that Lagavulin 8yo is so good - the Australian brand ambassadors/swill merchant did a tasting last year, have been meaning to track down a bottle.

9. Post
    They had some in Taupo last week. Can see if I can track one down for you if you like? Am about to order a new Caol Ila from them tonight.

10. Post
    Thanks for the offer, checked just now and it's available locally - had completely forgotten about it until you posted

11. Post
    Sweet as. Glad my posting will have you enjoying one

12. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    Are you still in Hamilton? Wonder Horse runs an excellent whisky club the third Wednesday of the month which I would highly recommend
    Definitely going to have to check this out.
    Cheers for the info

13. Post
    DeazeNZ wrote:
    Cheers for the info
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1246694822113034/?ti=cl

14. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    Just cracked a limited release 8yr old Lagavulin . It's lovely. Am enjoying some younger whiskey at the moment. Here's my currently open bottles.
    Name:  1489377118268.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  649.5 KB
    GP MEAT at yours?

15. Post
    Currently have

Old Pultney 12
    Ardbeg 10
    Bruichladdich Organic (my favourite)

Booker Noes (best bourbon I've tried)
    Bulliet

Can say I definitely lean towards the Islay and Highland regions. Haven't had anything from the Speyside region that has clicked with me. Campbeltown is on my list of areas to explore, problem is their products are very rare.

16. Post
    Just found this thread. some good taste in here!

Currently drinking:

- Glenfiddich 15y Solera - My go-to daily whisky, nice and very easy to drink.
    - Laphroaig - For when I feel like that "bonfire night" smoke-hit.
    - Ardbeg Uigedail - My current favourite. A Brilliant Islay, big, big flavour, peated without overwhelming my palette. Complex.
    - Glenmorangie 18 year Extremely Rare - Lovely fruity notes here, light and enough going on without being overly complex.
    - Glenfarclas 15 - Oh so good. If you like the Glenfiddich 15, this is everything that's good about that, turned up to 11. Just a bit more depth in the flavours and the nose.
    - Nikka Miyagikyo - A really nice Japanese drop, lovely early in an evening and is very easy to drink while still having enough depth to not wither after two or three drams.

Have a few more unopened bottles to dig into soon, but that's my on-the-go list
    -
    Last edited by Esprit; 14th March 2017 at 1:57 am.

17. Post
    A friend of mine does whisky reviews.

https://finnishwhiskyblog.wordpress.com/

18. Post
    DeazeNZ wrote:
    Cheers for the info
    If you come tomorrow, I'll be there. I'll be working behind the bar making smart ass comments.

19. Post
    phred wrote:
    If you come tomorrow, I'll be there. I'll be working behind the bar making smart ass comments.
    Well shit, that must be popular. When i saw it the other day, only about 6 people were "Interested"
    Fully booked out now...

Maybe next time i guess

20. Post
    If you order a pina colada he will spit in it.

21. Post
    As above Glenmorangie makes good stuff, their 10yo is far superior imo to Glenfiddich 12yo (which I can't stand) for similar money. And their 18yo is great too for around $150 a bottle.

If you like a sweet/somewhat smokey combo I recommend trying aged Jamesons blends, their 12 year old blend is my favourite blended drop of any Irish/Scotch, even more so than the 18 year old they do/did.

22. Post
    Whats the verdict on Chivas Regal ? (the cheapest bottle)

23. Post
    TECHNOVIKING wrote:
    A friend of mine does whisky reviews.

https://finnishwhiskyblog.wordpress.com/
    i have no interest in whisky but clicked anyway. pleasantly surprised

24. Post
    Well they are succinct, I'll give them that

25. Post
    Filthy88 wrote:
    As above Glenmorangie makes good stuff, their 10yo is far superior imo to Glenfiddich 12yo (which I can't stand) for similar money. And their 18yo is great too for around $150 a bottle.
    Coincidentally, my 18yo Glenfiddich is almost empty, and 10yo Glenmorangie got delivered today.

Looking forward to it even more now.