The Elder Scrolls Online - general discussion thread

Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.80 average.
(10 votes)
Page 1 of 64 12341151 ... Last

1. Post

The Elder Scrolls Online - general discussion thread

Good news: PS4 owners don't have to pay Sony a toll fee to play it.
    Bad news: Unsurprisingly Xbone owners WILL have to pay MS a toll fee.
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com...-subscription/

Reality: The game will probably bomb a bit, shedding thousands of subs by each passing month and likely go F2P or Buy to Play within a 1-1.5 years from release.

I think the characters designs look better vastly better than Skyrim's at least, for one elves aren't ironically uglier than orcs.

Recent, random video that I found in a quick search:-
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 29th January 2014 at 8:31 am.

2. Post
    I'm keen, but for the same reasons that I enjoyed SWTOR... I don't think it will have the longevity or gameplay of a decent endgame-oriented MMO and will be more of a fun experience on my own or with a few others with a basis of TES lore and character-creation that I've loved for so long.

I can't really turn down the opportunity to explore more of Tamriel, and the game itself doesn't look bad at all, it probably just won't be a great MMO.

3. Post
    Skorky wrote:
    I can't really turn down the opportunity to explore more of Tamriel, and the game itself doesn't look bad at all, it probably just won't be a great MMO.
    If they do Hammerfell and Elsweyr expansions then I'd buy and play those for sure.

The mandatory sub would have to go of course, but that's matter of when and not if.

4. Post
    Meh, it's either a sub or severely gimped gameplay. I'd rather pay $15 extra when they do introduce a F2P option so I can play the game properly for a good month.

5. Post
    F2P games need to learn from what Path of Exile has done amazingly well. You don't pay to win, you don't pay for any advantage, you do however have the option to get graphical skins or clothing layers at micro transaction rates which support the game, but ultimately allows you to play the full game unmolested and looking at their ability to grab funding through Kickstarter campaigns and offering those graphical skins and enhancements, I'd dare say quite a few F2P MMO's would love the same balance sheets.

6. Post
    Skorky wrote:
    Meh, it's either a sub or severely gimped gameplay.
    Maybe if you only know about how SWTOR does F2P. Eg there's always B2P like The Secret World or Turbine's F2P model where users can outright permanently buy content that they wish to play.

7. Post
    So you're either playing a complete game with gimped skills etc or an incomplete game without being gimped? You're going to be paying extra for an ideal experience, at any rate, and unless you're really into it you're unlikely to be playing more than a month or two, anyway.

8. Post
    Monthly fees don't guarantee a better or more balanced game, and F2P doesn't guarantee that everything worthwhile will be tied to microtransactions.

The problem is that this will launch with a subscription, and inevitably end up as F2P, at which point they'll start shoehorning methods of monetization in where they weren't originally planned. It'll end up being a hodge-podge of design where there are some good elements which have been ruined by the tacked on microtransactions (see: SWTOR).

If they just rolled it out as a F2P game in the first place I'd be more confident that they'd be able to design around it properly. LoL, PoE, GW2 (not exactly F2P but the principle applies) are all examples of how F2P can work just fine - but they're all cases where that was part of the original design.

edit: I'm sure the devs are already thinking about F2P, but I still think the initial subscription-based launch will result in design decisions that need to be hacked away it in order to introduce a microtransaction model, even if there is some planning involved.

9. Post
    The Collector's/Imperial Edition was leaked today

http://i.imgur.com/VXno9hg.jpg

Exclusive races (races also have their own individual racial abilities) available by buying the Collector's Edition in a P2P game? Jesus ****ing christ.

10. Post
    That looks ****ing cool. I don't care if the game turns out to be ****, I want it.

11. Post
    Skorky wrote:
    So you're either playing a complete game with gimped skills etc or an incomplete game without being gimped?
    So the notable B2P games like The Secret World and the Guild Wars series have gimped skills if you don't get an optional "VIP sub"? Yeah nah.

F2P players of Turbine's games, DDO and LotRO, have access to most vanilla content. The "Adventure Packs" are the equivalent to DLC mission packs for your typical SP game. Major expansions aren't included with "VIP sub", so it's NO DIFFERENT to most SUB-REQUIRED MMOs, expansions AREN'T built into the cost of the monthly sub.
    The option for F2P players to grind for Turbine Points is there too, which they can then use to "buy" Adventure Packs.

12. Post
    Vicx wrote:
    Exclusive races (races also have their own individual racial abilities) available by buying the Collector's Edition in a P2P game? Jesus ****ing christ.
    I read that as the option of playing the Imperial race regardless of faction in the RvR PvP. Whereas the race would probably be restricted to a very a specific faction or two for lore reasons. Eg the Aldmeri Dominion is an empire of fascist High Elves, normally it'd make no f*cking sense to be able to roll up ANY fully human toons when playing on that faction.

But all means don't let rational logic spoil your reactionary foaming at the month.

13. Post
    So EVA explain to me how u pvp as a freep as f2p on lotro

14. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    So the notable B2P games like The Secret World and the Guild Wars series have gimped skills if you don't get an optional "VIP sub"? Yeah nah.

F2P players of Turbine's games, DDO and LotRO, have access to most vanilla content. The "Adventure Packs" are the equivalent to DLC mission packs for your typical SP game. Major expansions aren't included with "VIP sub", so it's NO DIFFERENT to most SUB-REQUIRED MMOs, expansions AREN'T built into the cost of the monthly sub.
    The option for F2P players to grind for Turbine Points is there too, which they can then use to "buy" Adventure Packs.
    You misinterpreted my post, but yeah, you're right - regardless of how you approach it it's not going to be complete without some form of extra payment, but even LOTRO does have things which gimp F2P players, disregarding the extra "DLC".

15. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    I read that as the option of playing the Imperial race regardless of faction in the RvR PvP. Whereas the race would probably be restricted to a very a specific faction or two for lore reasons. Eg the Aldmeri Dominion is an empire of fascist High Elves, normally it'd make no f*cking sense to be able to roll up ANY fully human toons when playing on that faction.
    Oh, I guess I missed the part where they said Imperial would be playable for a "specific faction" outside of buying the Imperial Edition. I mean the only source I can find it the image posted, where it explicitly says "Play as an Imperial in any alliance". Or are we supposed to be assuming things outside of this statement?

EvaUnit02 wrote:
    But all means don't let rational logic spoil your reactionary foaming at the month.
    What?

16. Post
    I NEED that Molag Bal statue on my dresser..... The CE will be mine, bring on release date!

In other news, I don't think this will bomb at all; **** F2P and it's hoard of goons; give me a sub and more content any day.
    Sony are good cats for letting the game through regardless of PS+ status, MS are being a bore with the mandatory Gold membership however...

Bah, who cares, Master Race etc.

17. Post
    The guy in the video is such an idiot. "There are no cooldowns or restrictions on abilities. As long as you have mana or stamina you can use them" Yeah no restrictions there...

I'll probably pass on this. Will see what the reactions and impressions after release are though. After the SWTOR and GW2 hype trains crashed nothing would surprise me.

18. Post
    I'm surprised how much my own Guild Wars 2 hype train crashed.. I was SO hyped.... our Guild was pretty sweet though, while it lasted.

19. Post
    Guild Wars 2 was awesome until you realized you had fk all skills and it was horizontal progression. Then it sucked. Badly. The lack of the trinity also really hurt it for PvE. 'Coulda been fun for a PvPer with how 'standardized' for lack of a better word it was, but that ain't me.

This game looks quite average. The gameplay previews and trailer were lackluster so my opinion is largely based on what they've presented so far. I'm still going to give it a hoon though, because MMOs are what I enjoy.

In terms of F2P and P2P, I haven't seen an MMO do it right yet. Path of Exile got it right but its hardly an MMO. I've got massive respect for GGG, though I do believe they hamstring their profits by doing what they do.

When a F2P MMO worth playing comes out then I'll have a different opinion but for now its P2P only. B2P is a good concept but content is always so frickin slow and customer service support is quite bad.

Can't win em all!

20. Post
    Guild Wars 2 was really fun in the beta. Sadly it lost me when it went live, the fact that it had no end game just left me feeling like I was wasting time leveling up

That's one area where WoW is still king - it really makes you feel important when you gain levels and rewards you as such and also you feel like you are working towards some grand end scheme and reward (raiding loot)

21. Post
    IST wrote:
    I'm surprised how much my own Guild Wars 2 hype train crashed.. I was SO hyped.... our Guild was pretty sweet though, while it lasted.
    Same. You should do what I do and check it out every so often because some of the updates are pretty good. There's open world 'raids' now. They're pretty hard, the 3 Giant Wurms released last Tuesday has only been beaten once so far. sPvP is still bad and not GW1 PvP though

The subscription model seems pretty outdated for both the developer and the player. The amount of money people spend on micro transactions is truly insane, but Elder Scrolls is going to have a sub and micro transactions yeah? It'll be interesting to see how well that works out.

22. Post
    Will be f2p within 12 months of release

23. Post
    Mox wrote:
    Will be f2p within 12 months of release
    At which time I will install it, play it for an evening, then delete it.
    John D. Rockefeller award for philanthropic wanks

24. Post
    Vicx wrote:
    The Collector's/Imperial Edition was leaked today

http://i.imgur.com/VXno9hg.jpg

And MA announced it - http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/T...ition/22099320

25. Post
    CE looks sweet, sorta tempted just because of the illustrated guide.

Page 1 of 64 12341151 ... Last