Tech Deals

Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
(5 votes)
Results 5,051 to 5,074 of 5074

1. Post
    What are the chances of getting collected import tax shopping from States these days? Anyone shopped lately?

2. Post
    syryanyang wrote:
    What are the chances of getting collected import tax shopping from States these days? Anyone shopped lately?
    About 99% unless you get a seller to lie about the price on the shipping labels.

3. Post
    MoNk wrote:
    About 99% unless you get a seller to lie about the price on the shipping labels.
    And even then it's not guaranteed to make it through without duties being slapped onto it.

Sauce: Worked with Customs.

4. Post
    Grifty wrote:
    And even then it's not guaranteed to make it through without duties being slapped onto it.

Sauce: Worked with Customs.
    Is it a lot tighter now than it was a few years back? Oh well those were the times

5. Post
    syryanyang wrote:
    Lied many times, never been caught. Come at me customs.

syryanyang wrote:
    Is it a lot tighter now than it was a few years back? Oh well those were the times
    Not in my recent fraudulent experiences.

6. Post
    Seagate Backup Plus Hub 8TB External Desktop Hard Drive US$179.99

Not quite as low as the $170 it was on Black Friday but pretty good and it comes with two USB ports.

7. Post
    ^ good price

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

8. Post
    pyronical wrote:
    Lied many times, never been caught. Come at me customs.

Not in my recent fraudulent experiences.
    Often it was popular electronics like TV/Monitors. Cell phones. Game consoles. High value computer equipment. Sometimes auto parts (complete dummies would also use these for smuggling stuff, so it was an easy 'go to' for manual checking). Stuff that has a NZ equivalent that's easy to find a local comparable price.

9. Post
    If it is something that is obviously over the threshold you might get pinged despite the stated value.

If it is something more obscure or something that doesn't seem very valuable you might get away with it.

10. Post
    Shipping method is also a factor - if you're sending via a courier service (e.g. DHL, Fedex) they always submit the goods to customs to facilitate timely clearance. If you're sending via global EMS, it may or may not be picked up by customs.

11. Post
    Sweet!

Amazon delivery charges and delivery times tipped to fall as it marches closer to NZ
    Amazon's New Zealand delivery charges and shipment times are expected to fall after the United States retail giant confirmed plans to set up shop in Australia.

The company founded by Jeff Bezos confirmed its intention to pursue the retail dollar in Australia in a big way, on Thursday, with significant implications for New Zealand.

Amazon is looking for its first warehouse in either Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne to become a fulfillment centre. It will be the first of many in Australia, each with floor space of up to 93,000 square metres the equivalent of 13 rugby fields.

Although Amazon has not discussed any plans to set up in New Zealand and there is no speculation that is imminent, Kiwi retailers are concerned by its move into Australia and what they say is an uneven playing-field.
    You can read the rest of the article here

12. Post
    This is great news! Thanks for posting that.

Can't wait for cheaper Amazon shipping; have had so many great deals in the past from Amazon and this is icing on the cake. Hope it all goes through for Amazon Australia.

13. Post
    I can't wait to read all the bitching and moaning from New Zealand retailers.

14. Post
    Thanks Straya!

15. Post
    fatesjester wrote:
    I can't wait to read all the bitching and moaning from New Zealand retailers.
    They've already started, if you read the rest of the article

16. Post
    Shipping cost on small items is pretty cheap now anyway. Just curious to see what will happen with the bulkier stuff e.g. PC cases, monitors etc.

17. Post
    Assuming nothing happens to disrupt shipping in the South China Sea... but it's not like the US is going to nuke North Korea or anything right?

18. Post
    They're more likely to reinstate free shipping, like they had for a while on the US site (excluding bulky items).

19. Post
    If it's shipped from Australia, will it have Aussie gst?

20. Post
    Yes, but it won't have ours, unless you go over the threshold - or they listen to all the whinging retailers here and lower ours.

21. Post
    i wanted to a logitech z906 a long time ago. Back then It would retail for anything for $849 - $899 , Amazon was selling it for 380-425 but the shipping would cost me 400-500.. so yeah local distributors would really suffer tbh

22. Post
    I was going to buy a mobo the other day from Amazon, it would have saved me $60 NZD compared to buying retail. As it happens, I decided to buy from CL during their sale. I still paid more than the Amazon option, but I was happier to buy it from CL for the better customer support if something went wrong, as well as the quicker delivery. If Amazon sold that mobo from a warehouse in Australia I'd have been much more tempted to buy it from Amazon, because it would have been easier to deal with returns if something went wrong, and the delivery would be quicker presumably.

I ended up buying some Corsair RAM from Amazon for $30 cheaper than the lowest NZ price, but only because the RMA process with Corsair has been super easy in the past, and you wouldn't need to go through Amazon for that.

23. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Yeah same boat, was about to buy a couple of the 200gb sandisks but just thought I'd see what other people are using/recommending/cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-Elite-Mic...dp_ob_title_ce

Is the other contender.
    Hey Priv, if you haven bought a microSD yet have a read of this.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwi...icro_sd_cards/

I might go for one of these. even though its 128gb

24. Post
    I bought a fast micro sd for my s5 then realised is pointless as the interface is bottlenecked.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk