1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    That SS is making me want to boot up Infinite again...

3. Post
    I agree with him honestly. There's a ton of great games out there with little to no violence, but violent games are a safe option. I for one would like to see more experimental games that delve into differing things than the constant onslaught of "rooty-tooty-point-and-shooty" we're getting these days.

4. Post
    We're getting more "experimental games" these days than we ever have before, aren't we? If what you mean is you want more AAA games along those lines, then I agree to a degree, though I'd like more games like Heavy Rain except with decent writing and gameplay other than QTEs.

5. Post
    Skorky wrote:
    We're getting more "experimental games" these days than we ever have before, aren't we? If what you mean is you want more AAA games along those lines, then I agree to a degree, though I'd like more games like Heavy Rain except with decent writing and gameplay other than QTEs.
    Yeah, AAA. Indie games can try whatever they like, unless they're something really special or unique, I'm simply not interested. There's just too much trash to wade through with indie games.

6. Post
    I feel like there aren't that many options for compelling gameplay if you're sticking to a storyline more akin to one of that from a movie, which are generally the games I'm most interested in from a single player perspective. The Last of Us ticked all the boxes for me, I found the gameplay really fun and satisfying in all ways but it didn't do anything that hadn't been done in games before it... and the things that make it AAA are things like voice acting and motion capture, graphics, marketing, etc etc, what kind of game would you want that is "experimental" or whatever that actually has need for that kind of budget?

I mean like I said, we've got Heavy Rain, which was interesting in that it was focusing on storytelling but didn't have 3rd-person cover shooter or whatever gameplay, but instead it had take orange juice out of fridge and shake it by waving your controller around gameplay.

7. Post
    Skorky wrote:
    I disagree, 15 years ago games were more 'experimental', There wasn't this safe trend of sequels that we see today, original genre defining games were AAA. For example, look at the release list of 1999:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_in_video_gaming

8. Post
    And 15 years ago, we didn't have the amazing graphical capabilities we have today. So there's now a massive investment required just in art, modelling and animation to deliver a modern game. (There's a reason every second indie game is pixel art). A need for massive investment in a product tends to centralise industries, centralised producers tend to be conservative and stick to what is known to sell.

9. Post
    Lord Montgomery wrote:
    I disagree, 15 years ago games were more 'experimental', There wasn't this safe trend of sequels that we see today, original genre defining games were AAA. For example, look at the release list of 1999:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_in_video_gaming
    Maybe if all we're looking at is a % of games but have you seen the ridiculous numbers of weird-ass Indie games out now? Rock Simulator 2014, and that kind of bull****? I guess it depends on your definition of experimental, but I'd say it's a relative term - and back then gaming as a whole was still experimental to a degree, at least when it came to the mainstream.

10. Post
    Skorky wrote:
    That SS is making me want to boot up Infinite again...
    Fully, I'm going to run through it ths weekend.