Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post

Torment: Tides of Numenera

So inXile have started to release some more information about their spiritual successor to (arguably) the greatest western RPG ever made; Planescape: Torment.

In case you're not aware Torment: Tides of Numenera is the highest earning Kickstarter Video game (4.1 million USD), just a head of the other huge RPG Kickstarter Pillars of Eternity (3.9 Million USD). Which is fitting as they're both homage/revival/spiritual successors to the Infinity Engine RPGs from the late 90s/early 2000s (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment). Both are party based, 3rd Person isomentric RPGs. The difference here is that Torment is going Turn-Based for combat which is a departure from the first Torment (and Pillars), but something that the backers voted on, and its nice to have another TB RPG coming to PC.

Numenera at its core is an interpretation of Arthur C Clarke's 3rd law. "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Numenera is set on Earth approximately one billion years in the future. The setting is called "The Ninth World" due to the fact that eight civilizations have risen and fallen prior to the current era
    The name "Numenera" is a reference to the bits of technology leftover from past civilizations. The setting treats technology with much the same approach as magic in a fantasy setting. The native tech level is roughly medieval.
    The game is anchored on 4 Design Pillars
    T:ToN Site wrote:
    1: A Deep, Thematically Satisfying Story. The philosophical underpinnings of Torment drive the game, both mechanically and narratively. Your words, choices, and actions will be your primary weapons.

2: A World Unlike Any Other. The game has a fantastic, original setting, with awe-inspiring painterly visuals, imaginative locations, offbeat items, and massive feats of magic. (Though in Numenera, "magic" is something surprisingly different.)

3: A Rich, Personal Narrative. The story is thoughtful and character-driven; epic in feel but a deeply personal narrative, with nontraditional characters and companions who have their own motivations and desires that drive them throughout the game.

4: Reactivity, Choice, and Real Consequences. The game emphasizes replayability and reactivity, and your choices will make a real difference. You can play the game with a different approach and discover entirely new pathways. Most important, we won't tell you how to play. The "best" ending is the one that arises naturally from your actions throughout the game.
    Source

Torment Tides of Numenera is thematically consistent with what made Torment such a great game. Focusing on a central narrative and protagonist with an existential/philisophical twist. Where Planescape: Torment asked "What can change the nature of a man?" by reflecting on how events, decisions, and relationships shape a person Torment: Tides of Numenera asks "What does one life matter?" Details about the central story are scarce at this time, but the design and writing team is top notch. Not only is the lead from PsT (Chris Avellone) back in albeit a limited capacity, but Colin McComb is lead writer here. He helped shape and define PsT and to a degree Fallout 2 as well. He had a long career at TSR and was a core designer for many of the modules including being a lead on the Planescape setting.
    The other big name here is Monte Cook. This is the guy the created Planescape (DnD Setting) as we know it and created Numenera. So the guy that created the game world is a lead on the video game. Its a pretty big deal for this type of traditional cRPG.

Anyway a couple of videos have gone up showing footage from as early build of the game. The game will be moved to Unity5 soon apparently, and the art/graphics/models are still not final, so please take with a grain of salt.

Last edited by ChrisB; 21st May 2015 at 11:16 pm.

3. Post
    I'm playing properly through planescape torment atm, very nice game. Im looking foward to this one.

4. Post
    alienguy wrote:
    I'm playing properly through planescape torment atm, very nice game. Im looking foward to this one.
    NICE! Love love love that game.

Have you used the mods/tweaks/fixes from here to fix some bugs, display issues, and add widescreen support?

5. Post
    pyrocore wrote:
    NICE! Love love love that game.

Have you used the mods/tweaks/fixes from here to fix some bugs, display issues, and add widescreen support?
    No, and I'm playing it on a crappy computer that's probably as old as the game itself lol. I'll have a look at those fixes later tonight cheers.

6. Post
    This will be another great game to have in a collection. Although, judging by Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternety, it's best to wait for several patches for the best experience.

The whole series of Kickstarters brings back the old school RPG experience, although not as deep and complex as the originals. That being said, the original IE games were AAA tittles at the time, with multiple teams and a bigger budget invested into production.

I'd be nice if they included Chris Avellone more into production and writing (main guy behind the original Torment story), than the previous two games.

7. Post

8. Post
    This totally looks like my kind of RPG, shame I've limited myself to PS4. I absolutely loved the baldurs gate/ice wind dale games years ago but lack of money at the time went off PC and focused on console gaming haven't been able to bring myself back to PC I really hope they bring this to PS4.

9. Post
    I reckon ChrisB will have a fit if he doesn't get to be the one who reviews this!

10. Post
    Cyrax78 wrote:
    This totally looks like my kind of RPG, shame I've limited myself to PS4. I absolutely loved the baldurs gate/ice wind dale games years ago but lack of money at the time went off PC and focused on console gaming haven't been able to bring myself back to PC I really hope they bring this to PS4.
    I doubt it. Due to the vast amounts of onscreen text and how the game played I dont think it likely to make it to console. For many of the same reasons as Pillars of Eternity. Then again it is Turn Based so maybe it could happen just as it did with Wasteland 2.

MockStar wrote:
    I reckon ChrisB will have a fit if he doesn't get to be the one who reviews this!
    LOL! Actually like Pillars of Eternity I think I would prefer to sink dozens of hours into it without a deadline looming.

11. Post
    yeah, might wait for awhile for this, EA and BEta access for Wasteland and POE took a lot of the interesting stuff away when release came,

12. Post
    In other news. Backers are pissed at the Early Access release. There are many backers at $45USD and higher who selected tiers that did not include Beta access, but as the game moved out of closed beta to Early Access they are questioning why they are not also given access seeing as they have paid that amount (or more) to the game.

I am one of those people (backed at $110 for CE) and have no access. Then again I dont want it as I want to play the completed game and not the still in production version. Does seem a bit backhanded to give EA to anybody that pays $45USD now, but not to anyone who backed prior to the Steam release.

Someone dun f**ked up!

13. Post
    Why would anyone keen on enjoying this game ruin it by playing beta..

14. Post
    [QUOTE=ChrisB;10740469]I doubt it. Due to the vast amounts of onscreen text and how the game played I dont think it likely to make it to console. For many of the same reasons as Pillars of Eternity. Then again it is Turn Based so maybe it could happen just as it did with Wasteland 2.

I don't understand what onscreen text would have to do with a port. only reason mentioned for Pillars not getting ported was control wise which they used original baldurs gate getting a PSX port and that it didn't work, idk I don't feel that should be a deciding argument in why... you look at how divinity : original sin's controls as a example were originally designed for PC yet they changed the interface for PS4/XB1

15. Post
    I've tried playing Pillars on my TV and the amount of text on screen is hard to read, and font changes would make it not much better. Torment has as much, if not more text meaning that displaying it for couch gaming is going to be a problem. Its going to be like The Witcher 3 only many times worse. Also the complexity of the combat in relation to the number of party members and the multiple menus will be a nightmare to map to a controller. This is in every sense of the word a PC RPG.

16. Post
    bionic.man wrote:
    Why would anyone keen on enjoying this game ruin it by playing beta..
    My thoughts exactly.... I'm 100% down with multiplayer betas: since there's no story spoilers, but a CRPG beta just feels wrong to me.

I'm all for getting rid of bugs and increasing QoL, but I personally think it should be done in-house with Q&A etc.

17. Post
    Most of the people complaining likely have no intention to play it anyway but are doing so just from a sense of "fairness" or entitlement (which is still a valid complaint). I've ordered the Collectors edition and similar to you guys the release date would be the absolute earliest I would consider playing. Heck, I just finished through my wasteland 2 play through and was very glad I waited for the DC version before playing it.

bionic.man wrote:
    The whole series of Kickstarters brings back the old school RPG experience, although not as deep and complex as the originals. That being said, the original IE games were AAA tittles at the time, with multiple teams and a bigger budget invested into production.
    "Although not as deep and complex as the originals". Although a little subjective I'm not entirely sure that is a fair statement. Although the IE games are some of my favorite games of all time the newer releases are at least comparable if not deeper on a plot level and their engines and style seem to allow more varied hidden secrets, playstyles and combat tactics.
    Last edited by Mikos; 27th January 2016 at 4:22 pm.

18. Post
    If we compare WL2 with WL1, I wouldn't be surprised if WL2 is better, but it's miles from FO1/2. But WL1 isn't IE game, and whilst FO is not IE, it was made by the same studio, so I guess my original statement should've been Black Isle games instead of IE games.

Pillars can try compete with Icewind dale, but BG1/2 blows it out of water. The story, characters, plot, narrative flow are all superior in every way.

And we're yet to see if Torment comes close to the greatest RPG story of them all.

19. Post
    bionic.man wrote:
    Pillars can try compete with Icewind dale, but BG1/2 blows it out of water. The story, characters, plot, narrative flow are all superior in every way.
    I disagree. PoE stands up just fine in almost every way. This is from one of the biggest IE fans out there and someone who has played IWD, BG and BGII in the last 18 months.
    The world and characters easily meet the BG waterline, and the plot feels more natural if not as dramatic.
    Party members are not as compelling in PoE for the most part but most of the NPCs certainly are.
    The writing and scene setting in PoE is much richer, nuanced and better delivered than either of the BG games and certainly moreso than IWD. It feels written for a more mature audience, whereas BG is definitely aimed at a Teen/young adult demo.

If I had to rate them
    1: BGII
    2: PoE
    3: BG1
    4: IWD
    5: IWDII

But you know opinions and all that.

20. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    I disagree. PoE stands up just fine in almost every way. This is from one of the biggest IE fans out there and someone who has played IWD, BG and BGII in the last 18 months.
    The world and characters easily meet the BG waterline, and the plot feels more natural if not as dramatic.
    Party members are not as compelling in PoE for the most part but most of the NPCs certainly are.
    The writing and scene setting in PoE is much richer, nuanced and better delivered than either of the BG games and certainly moreso than IWD. It feels written for a more mature audience, whereas BG is definitely aimed at a Teen/young adult demo.

If I had to rate them

having read all of R.A Salvatore's books (where IWD & BG universe is based off) I see the games as a continuation of that universe so for me those will always be the greatest. but my opinion might be a bit biased because of that.

P.S I would of loved to of seen Drizzt,Bruenor,Catti-Brie and Regis in IWD.

21. Post
    I have quite a collection of Salvatore's books, going all the way to when they fight the Orc King.

Gotta say my life is enriched having read his fantastic first few trilogies and then jumping into BG series.

You can meet and fight alongside Drizzt and Co in BG2, but you probably know that.

22. Post
    ChrisB wrote:

If I had to rate them

That would be my selection also. BG2 is definitely a better experience than BG. In fact, I remember being slightly disappointed in BG when it first came out. More due to the fact that I'd hyped it up so much, rather than it being a mediocre game (it's not, it's a very good game).

PS:T is the best of the lot though. At least in the first play through.

23. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    That would be my selection also. BG2 is definitely a better experience than BG. In fact, I remember being slightly disappointed in BG when it first came out. More due to the fact that I'd hyped it up so much, rather than it being a mediocre game (it's not, it's a very good game).

PS:T is the best of the lot though. At least in the first play through.
    Oh PST is on another level entirely. My Game of my Life.

24. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    I disagree.

The only thing PoE has on BG would be graphics, which are truly mesmerising. That's not to say graphics in BG are bad, far from it.

Fighting mechanics in PoE took a massive shortcut with engagement and constant teleporting/spawning on your ranged/spelacasting party members, instead having equal abilities and letting strategy decide.

The highlight boss, green dragon, was a joke in comparison to Firkraag. Summoning fodder he can one hit whilst using scrolls to kill him is not my idea of adrenaline rush bonanza, but it was the only way when the game came out.
    Hopefully, they've fixed this.

And my biggest disappointment was the main villain. He's not a majestic cliché like Sarevok, but neither is he a result of wild inspiration like Irenicus.
    For the most part, he was lacking exposition, proper motivation, and lazy obscurity made me not care for the weak reveal, which was completely obvious by the end.

Companions certainly left much to be desired in comparison to BG, I've only ever had three permanently. Basically, after finishing their main quest that was it for most of them.

I actually enjoyed the game, but it had baby feet in giant's boots. I don't think any revised edition will change my first impression of it.

In the other hand, I'm quite excited about WL2, DC. Fargo nailed it, and I'm glad he's doing the new Torment.

25. Post
    I can only assume you've not played PoE 2.0. Its a great update. As for the rest its all subjective. I always found Sarevok to be far too cliche'd. Then again much of ADnD was even back then. Irenicus though is exceptional.
    I found the journey, world, and all the small details to exceed anything in BG I-II, but the dramatic moments, and party dynamics were better. The Antagonist argument is valid, but for me the adventure and everything else more than made up for that. I loved how it told me its story and all the smaller details you could find, and all tertiary characters added more depth of world than BG ever managed. For me though we are arguing differences in games I would all rate in the 90s.

26. Post
    I must be one of the only people in the world that likes BG more than BG2..... dem Golden Pantaloons

My list is exactly the same as ChrisB's, except swapping around BG to top and BG2 to 3rd place.