Page 1 of 79 12341151 ... Last

1. Smile

Upgraders Anonymous #yolobuying

When you've got that itch to upgrade something on your PC, but don't really need to upgrade anything....what does one do?!

It is exactly one year to the day I built the rig below:

ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Intel Z97 ATX Motherboard
    Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz CPU
    Noctua NH-U12S CPU Cooler with NF-F12 PWM Fan
    Mushkin Blackline FrostByte 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 RAM
    MSI GTX 980ti GPU
    Mushkin Reactor 1TB 2.5 SSD
    ASUS DRW-24D3ST Green 24X DVD Writer
    Seasonic X-Series V3 650W 80Plus Gold PSU
    Fractal Design Define R5 Black Silent Mid Tower Case

This stuff is slightly newer:

Corsair RGB K70 Mech Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Sabre RGB Mouse

This stuff is a few years old:

Logitech G430 headset
    2.1 speaker system (can't even remember the brand. something cheap from JB Hifi)

What would GP do? Invest in some decent headphones or speakers? Invest in a decent chair?! Buy some new games instead?!

Edit: upgraded to an Acer XB271HU
    Last edited by Haisley; 22nd June 2016 at 11:38 am.

2. Post
    Your PC is a beast. Short of upgrading to an extreme CPU or another 980 for SLI there isn't much that would make a big difference. I reckon upgrade your speakers either to some nice Microlab or similar desk speakers or a better 2.1/5.1 system

3. Post
    cwm wrote:
    Your PC is a beast. Short of upgrading to an extreme CPU or another 980 for SLI there isn't much that would make a big difference. I reckon upgrade your speakers either to some nice Microlab or similar desk speakers or a better 2.1/5.1 system
    Something like the Solo #C's? I don't know what is comparable or decent in terms of desktop speakers.

Not really keen for 5.1, just cause I don't want to mount rear speakers and have cables everywhere.

4. Post
    Definetly get some decent headphones man

5. Post
    A second 980ti and a 4k monitor maybe?

Decent headphones would be a must for me, but only for music. That Logitech is fine for gaming.

6. Post
    Something like a DAC + this - http://www.listeningpost.co.nz/Produ...41876__N.27756

or passive speakers + this - http://www.listeningpost.co.nz/Produ...41876__N.27756

also these all in one speakers look interesting; might be worth an audition at least. Not sure when stereotype.co.nz will get in the new audioengine HD6 though.

http://www.listeningpost.co.nz/Produ...62066__N.27756

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/HD6-...wered-Speakers

7. Post
    Get a monitor with a higher refresh rate.

8. Post
    Can't really justify another grand for a 2nd 980ti. I can happily get 60fps on all my games at 1440p at present. I don't think I'm ready for 4K yet. If anything, wouldn't 34" widescreen be more immersive for gaming? (my PC is for gaming, not productivity The build quality on the 27"+ g-sync monitors worries me...

Are decent headphones and/or speakers worth it when just using onboard? Or would I need a DAC or new soundcard too?

9. Post
    When I get the itch I usually get a new case or mod an existing one. Helps keep things fresh without being overly expensive.

Could always go watercooling can be an expensive habit to pickup though

10. Post
    Was just about to say when i couldnt stand looking at my same pc everyday i would change the case up or do something to it.
    Could cut a window in your case and chuck some nice lighting in it

11. Post
    I love the Define R5, but kinda wished I'd got the side windowed version...or maybe even got a smaller case. The R5 is pretty empty with only a single SSD, and the HDD cage removed.

I'm not savvy enough, nor do I have the inclination to cut a hole in the R5 myself.

12. Post
    Can always send your panel to mofozilla to cut for you

13. Post
    InvisibleShadow wrote:
    A second 980ti and a 4k monitor maybe?

Decent headphones would be a must for me, but only for music. That Logitech is fine for gaming.
    M8 that is dirty lies.That headset would be like listening throught two cans and a string

14. Post
    ludez wrote:
    Can always send your panel to mofozilla to cut for you
    But it might end up crooked....

15. Post
    Haisley wrote:
    Haha good point!

You can order them from fractal aswell

16. Post
    Get an Ultrawide, I would highly recommend them.

100Hz is nice too.

17. Post
    save up for VR

18. Post
    huntakillaz wrote:
    save up for VR
    and grab these to go with

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...s-calibrated-t

19. Post
    Might as well just enter the matrix.

20. Post
    Haisley wrote:
    ludez wrote:
    Haha good point!

You can order them from fractal aswell

21. Post
    mofozilla wrote:
    Mate, you do a better job at case modding than I ever could.

22. Post
    I decided I was going to upgrade as close to doom as possible because right now that's the only reason i want to upgrade.... yet i keep getting emails and almost bought a 980, i7 and new monitor today.... is there a group for people like us?

23. Post
    Clavulanate wrote:
    I decided I was going to upgrade as close to doom as possible because right now that's the only reason i want to upgrade.... yet i keep getting emails and almost bought a 980, i7 and new monitor today.... is there a group for people like us?
    We can make one

24. Post
    I don't see a soundcard in that list.

Vive?

25. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    I don't see a soundcard in that list.

Vive?
    Just using onboard atm.

Had a xonar essence stx for a bit, but sold it because I couldn't notice any difference with my average headphones and speakers.