Results 26 to 50 of 59

  1. Post
    #26
    On paper this sounds all me, in practice it was pretentious and dragged. I don't know what movie you guys and the rotten tomatoes critics watched. Yeah it was beautiful (though a little samey photography wise), yeah it was well performed. I just found the central point hollow and borderline juvenile. It essentially boiled down to: there is no "I"' in team. I long for a serious cerebral sci-fi, but this was not it. Best movie of year?! It was so soppy

    Alien design and ships were excellent.

    Sometimes the environment in which you watch a movie counts, despite the impressive visuals I think this would have been better suited to the couch.

  2. Post
    #27
    I found it kind of corny but that's just me.

    it was compelling, plot-wise, i suppose. Although I think the first half of the movie was poorly paced, what with the endless scenes of people breathing heavily in hazmat suits.

    Spoiler:

  3. Post
    #28
    clockblock wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

  4. Post
    #29
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

  5. Post
    #30
    MorbidNZ wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

  6. Post
    #31
    I thought it was really good and very sad. I guess it impacted me more because I'm a dad and it hit me right in the feels. Aesthetically it was great and beautifully shot.

  7. Post
    #32
    Yeah I know what you mean - as a parent it got me in the feels too

  8. Post
    #33
    Spoiler:


    Solid film from an accomplished filmmaker that didn't reach Prisoners or Sicario heights of excellence but a good watch.
    Last edited by Tormenta; 23rd November 2016 at 1:09 am.

  9. Post
    #34
    This is one of the best movies I have seen in years. Wow.

  10. Post
    #35
    What I loved about this and Scirario was the sense of dread that the director is able to create. Full on horror movie feels in a thriller and a sci-fi.

  11. Post
    #36
    Definitely. That scene where they first enter the alien vessel was full-on dread, it reminded me of the night-vision incursion at the end of Sicario.

  12. Post
    #37
    Gwarden wrote:
    Sicario.
    Adding to list

  13. Post
    #38
    jords wrote:
    Adding to list
    You will not regret it. I almost guarantee that after the first scene you will be completely hooked.

  14. Post
    #39
    Sicario was so much better than this


  15. Post
    #40
    I must watch Sicario again because I enjoyed this more

  16. Post
    #41
    Just realized he directed Enemy as well

  17. Post
    #42
    I just watched this -I love movies like Contact and Interstellar (despite their faults) and Arrival sounded right up my alley...

    Unfortunately I managed to work out the "twist" of the movie a few flashbacks in...

    The problem might have been that it was so glacier slow I had too much time to think about it.

    I don't mind slow if it is interesting but when you spend what feels like half an hour just walking onto the spaceship that's too slow.

    Also was it just my TV or was pretty much every scene just dark/gloomy/foggy lighting wise?


    Having said all that I still enjoyed the movie and smart sci-fi should be encouraged. In fact I think it would be better if they dropped the voice over explaining everything.

  18. Post
    #43
    Also...

    Spoiler:

  19. Post
    #44
    brand wrote:
    I don't mind slow if it is interesting but when you spend what feels like half an hour just walking onto the spaceship that's too slow.
    Well Amy Adams aka the protagonist's very first contact with the aliens was clearly one of the most interesting parts of the movie and needed to have a deliberate approach. Also so we could learn the gravity rules changing in the spaceship. Also because Villenueve is a master at building tension.

    For someone who professes they don't mind things going slow when it's interesting, I find your criticism of this part of the movie lacking in credibility.

  20. Post
    #45
    brand wrote:
    Also was it just my TV or was pretty much every scene just dark/gloomy/foggy lightingwise?
    The cinematography was stunning, and not designed to be watched off a dvd screener on your shitty tv.

  21. Post
    #46
    Tormenta wrote:
    Well Amy Adams aka the protagonist's very first contact with the aliens was clearly one of the most interesting parts of the movie and needed to have a deliberate approach. Also so we could learn the gravity rules changing in the spaceship. Also because Villenueve is a master at building tension.

    For someone who professes they don't mind things going slow when it's interesting, I find your criticism of this part of the movie lacking in credibility.
    What exactly did you find interesting about a scissor lift?

  22. Post
    #47
    Gwarden wrote:
    The cinematography was stunning, and not designed to be watched off a dvd screener on your shitty tv.
    This, you should feel bad about yourself.

  23. Post
    #48
    brand wrote:
    Also...

    Spoiler:
    The story is told the way she starts to think, she doesnt start having them till she learns the language

  24. Post
    #49
    brand wrote:
    What exactly did you find interesting about a scissor lift?
    I find this to be a dumb distillation of what was going on in that scene. There's nothing inherently interesting about a scissor lift, I agree.

  25. Post
    #50
    Fairly average movie imo.

    Came into it blind, not knowing or hearing anything about it.

    Got to the end, and thought
    Spoiler: