Have you made the jump to 4k?

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)

1. Post
    edit - wrong thread
    Last edited by JPAR; 27th December 2016 at 2:06 pm.

2. Post
    Best place in welly to pick up a hdcp 2.2 hdmi cable?

Tap talky walky pro top

3. Post
    Haisley wrote:
    Best place in welly to pick up a hdcp 2.2 hdmi cable?

Tap talky walky pro top
    PBtech?

4. Post
    Shit, hope high speed hdmi = hdcp 2.2 cause there were **** all description on the cables boxes. They all just say "up to 4k"

Tap talky walky pro top

5. Post
    How long a run is it? If it's high speed you should be fine

6. Post
    RainDude wrote:
    Can anyone tell me what the STAND looks like on the KS8000. Same as on the promo pic on HN website? I've googled and it shows two different stands. Just want to ensure it can fit my tv cabinet

Cheers
    You pretty much need clearance for the whole TV, the feet are that wide apart.

I only just can fit my KS8000 into my space; perfect fit in the end, was a bit of a worry for a second though... (them 'oh ohh I done ****ed up' feels)

7. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    The difference between MR (Motion Rate) 240, which the KS8000 has, and Supreme MR 240, found on the KS9000, is that the latter is specifically designed to reduce image flicker when scanning backlight is used. This technique ensures a smoother perceived motion but it also may introduce visible flickering. This is where the Supreme MR 240 has an advantage over the regular MR 240

UHD dimming is also used by the KS8000. The KS9000 has a more advanced version dubbed Supreme UHD Dimming. Just like the basic UHD Diming, it optimizes contrast, color and image detail but it does so across multiple-zones of the picture. This, however, is a small difference, and it doesn’t provide the KS9000 with any fundamental image enhancement, meaning that the KS8000 and KS9000 have almost identical picture quality

Thats the only difference I can find between the ks8000 and ks9000, you can decide if its worth it
    Yep, it's almost identical in picture quality. It's largely the design difference. If you're wall mounting, the choice is easy.

8. Post
    So I was tempted to pull the trigger on the 55KS8000 and sell my 55X8500B, but I'm glad I didn't. I went into Harvey's today and checked out the 4K HDR demo on the KS8000. It does look very bright and crisp with great quality and I really like the design, however I can't justify spending more to upgrade to an HDR TV. I would only upgrade the TV to a 65" if I was going to, but I feel HDR just isn't worth it and can't tell a lot of difference. Some of the colours were oversaturated and looked artificial. I went back home and turned on the X8500 and I'm still amazed in how it looks, just turned the colour and backlight up a notch and it looks pretty damn close.

imo if you are upgrading from a non-full HD/full HD TV, then going 4K HDR is definitely worth it, but upgrading from a 4K TV to a 4K HDR isn't, unless you upgrade in size by 10 inches or more.

9. Post
    ChizzBo wrote:
    So I was tempted to pull the trigger on the 55KS8000 and sell my 55X8500B, but I'm glad I didn't. I went into Harvey's today and checked out the 4K HDR demo on the KS8000. It does look very bright and crisp with great quality and I really like the design, however I can't justify spending more to upgrade to an HDR TV. I would only upgrade the TV to a 65" if I was going to, but I feel HDR just isn't worth it and can't tell a lot of difference. Some of the colours were oversaturated and looked artificial. I went back home and turned on the X8500 and I'm still amazed in how it looks, just turned the colour and backlight up a notch and it looks pretty damn close.

imo if you are upgrading from a non-full HD/full HD TV, then going 4K HDR is definitely worth it, but upgrading from a 4K TV to a 4K HDR isn't, unless you upgrade in size by 10 inches or more.
    With the right content, HDR stuff is kind of mind blowingly good looking; but then again I upgraded from a potato so everything on this TV is mind blowing to me

The first time I watched The Grand Tour in 4K HDR I got a tech stiffy as tall as the Eiffel Tower. Gaming in HDR is pretty awesome too, FFXV really stands out with it turned on. I can only imagine when games like The Witcher and Mass Effect make use of it.....*drool*

10. Post
    IST wrote:
    With the right content, HDR stuff is kind of mind blowingly good looking; but then again I upgraded from a potato so everything on this TV is mind blowing to me

The first time I watched The Grand Tour in 4K HDR I got a tech stiffy as tall as the Eiffel Tower. Gaming in HDR is pretty awesome too, FFXV really stands out with it turned on. I can only imagine when games like The Witcher and Mass Effect make use of it.....*drool*
    Going from a potato to a 4K HDR TV is a massive upgrade and worth every penny I'd say, and of course the experience would be mind blowing. Good to hear your TV isn't only pleasing to your eyeballs haha. I bought my TV back in 2014 boxing day for $1500, and not sure how much I'd get for it now if I was to sell and upgrade to HDR. Spending more than $800 (depending on how much the TV would sell for), I can't justify the cost of upgrading when I'm still happy and impressed on how well the TV performs and looks, after spending a few hours calibrating different modes just to my liking. It made me feel even better after viewing the HDR TV's in store today because of the little difference I find in them.

11. Post
    Having gone from 55" (2 year old TV) to 65" 4K HDR, I agree, I personally wouldn't pay to upgrade solely to HDR without the size increase, particularly due to the limited amount of HDR content.

12. Post
    Mine's been a significantly noticeable upgrade too - from a 6 year old 42" potato to a 65" 4K + Premium HDR Sammy KS9000. Blown away by the 4K Netflix stuff, along with the 4K+HDR enabled games. Even Gears of War 4 on my vanilla Xbox One looks absolutely stunning. Really impressed with how it handles normal 1080p content.

If i'd gone 4K before HDR was even a thing, i doubt i'd see the value in upgrading. HDR is very cool, but it's not worth taking a massive financial hit on a 4K TV bought only a couple of years ago.

13. Post
    There's quite the Samsung 4K crew here on GP now, shall be excellent for settings tips, firmware moaning and tweak sharing throughout the new year: bring on 2017!

14. Post
    Incoming Samsung owners thread.

15. Post
    Can you guys recommend a good soundbar to run with my KS8000? Toyed and toyed with buying a proper 5.1 system but don't have the space to make good use of it.

about 300 bucks give or take. Cheers!

16. Post
    Paul Money do a yamaha one on special for $300. Basically I'd go for something on sale choose atleast 2 models buy the one that sounds best. Don't bother with reading reviews online comparing them as your budget so low it will all be about price and discount. Should be able to find atleast 2 options discounted by checking all the big stores websites.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

17. Post
    RainDude wrote:
    Can you guys recommend a good soundbar to run with my KS8000? Toyed and toyed with buying a proper 5.1 system but don't have the space to make good use of it.

Get the 2.1 soundbar from Samsung. IST knows the model number.

Tap talky walky pro top

18. Post
    http://paulmoney.co.nz/product/yamah...line-soundbar/

This one supposed to be $299 in store, however no separate sub so the samsung one probably sounds better.

Few options for you.
    https://m.pricespy.co.nz/category/v1551?sort=price

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

19. Post
    Yeah that's the bugger.

Tap talky walky pro top

20. Post
    RainDude wrote:

^^ Yep that one is the tits (Samsung K360): it's not super loud, but it's clear AF and the bass is deep with mad easy connection with Samsung TVs : looks dope with the KS8000 too

In other news, anyone know how to get TVNZ On Demand and 3Now apps on the main app bar? tried searching for them but to no avail: I don't have Freeview setup since I don't have an aerial going to the TV, pure ethernet baby.

21. Post
    IST wrote:
    ^^ Yep that one is the tits (Samsung K360): it's not super loud, but it's clear AF and the bass is deep with mad easy connection with Samsung TVs : looks dope with the KS8000 too

In other news, anyone know how to get TVNZ On Demand and 3Now apps on the main app bar? tried searching for them but to no avail: I don't have Freeview setup since I don't have an aerial going to the TV, pure ethernet baby.
    Let me know if you figure it out. My TV isn't plugged into the aerial either. Keen to get as many TV apps as possible to do away with the htpc.

Tap talky walky pro top

22. Post

23. Post
    The 6 series is my most hated tv. Its not good.
    No bias as I own an 8 series samsung, the 6 is just shit.

24. Post
    Haisley wrote:
    Let me know if you figure it out. My TV isn't plugged into the aerial either. Keen to get as many TV apps as possible to do away with the htpc.

Tap talky walky pro top
    It's weird, they're promoted on the Samsung website, but for the life of me I can't find them to add them as apps on the TV: Freeview isn't even an app I can find: anyone able to help here? No cable/aerial connected as there is none here, but keen on them streaming apps (TVNZ On Demand / 3Now)

I think they're supposed to be part of Freeview Plus, but I don't know how to get to that without hooking a TV up, maybe I should look at my manual