Nintendo Switch (aka NX)

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)

1. Post
    Yea I got it from Amazon, I can see Isaac fans wanting to shell out the cash for this one as we know we'll get our moneys worth easily! But as a new fan it's true that you'd be more wary with how much you spend. I guess if you don't end up liking it you could sell it on TradeMe or something, I bet plenty of people would be interested (especially if it's not even out here still lol )!

2. Post
    Motion wrote:
    I'm a huge BOI fan so I think so. Plus I wanted the physical copy. EB is wanting 120 and mighty ape 100 when/if they get their copies in and it might not be the launch edition. Best value is looking like digital on the US eshop for 40USD.
    For some reason when I try to purchase it bumps the price up to $43.83, where did this extra charge come from. I want to buy 2x $20 cards not 1x $50 coz the balance would be wasted.

3. Post
    Crow#Zero wrote:
    For some reason when I try to purchase it bumps the price up to $43.83, where did this extra charge come from. I want to buy 2x $20 cards not 1x $50 coz the balance would be wasted.
    Pick a zip code in a state that doesn't have sales tax

4. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    Pick a zip code in a state that doesn't have sales tax
    TIL! Thanks!

Ordered a $20 card to test it, then another, but the second is still pending.. Argh

Edit, OK it's lit fam. Woot!

5. Post
    If you use youshop, that address is a good one to use (based in Portland, 0% tax)

6. Post
    can you buy nes and snes games on the store with the switch?

7. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    can you buy nes and snes games on the store with the switch?
    Nope. Not yet at least. Just switch games, a few indies and neo geo games. Slightly different content depending on the eshop country.

8. Post
    Crow#Zero wrote:
    Nope. Not yet at least. Just switch games, a few indies and neo geo games. Slightly different content depending on the eshop country.
    I want to get a nintendo classic mini but its sold out so now looking for the best option to replay old nes and snes games

9. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    I want to get a nintendo classic mini but its sold out so now looking for the best option to replay old nes and snes games
    Wiiu has virtual console, I think 3ds has it too

10. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    If 3ds is an option for you I can jump on later and check out the available games if you want, or let me know if there's something in particular you are after.

Switch has Blaster Master Zero and probably a few more on their way as well.

11. Post

Yay! Worth the express shipping just to have it quicker lol, handheld mode is gonna rock.

12. Post
    I'm hooked on it now. I'm still not very good but one of my games started with some great power ups, I saved the seed number so I can replay it. Love that system so will look up other shared seeds from reddit.

Edit OK so apparently seed runs 'disable achievements/donations/unlocks so you can't scum your way through the game'

Does this include your own seeds?

13. Post
    TodashXIX wrote:
    DOA electronics and the Switches poor design are not the same thing. And yes I am hating on the Switch because I think it's a bad system.
    Its an underpowered gaming tablet with controllers that click on the side. A cheaply and poorly designed dock that scratches the screen (which is unacceptable even if the user can opt to put a screen protector on, which they should not have to considering the Switch is a full price system)
    The whole system is cheaply built.
    I'm gonna hate on this comment because it simply isn't true. After two and a half weeks I've had one system crash. As to the scratching and breaking things. It's simply not true. I'm gonna go with the same comments as smart phones. Some people just treat their mobile hardware like shit and then wander why it breaks. I am not those people. Stop treating your mobile devices like shit and you won't have that problem either. I haven't had a single Switch dock issue except finding my newer Samsung TV is incompatible with the Switch. Never mind my main 50" Philips TV from 2008 works perfectly, it even supports instant power on when docked.

Really if you are scratching the screen on your Switch your putting the console in incorrectly. Line it up properly first and you won't scratch a thing. It reminds me of my previous drunkard housemate who inserted a USB cable into one of his devices so many times back to front he destroyed the port, but he had other issues so it's not not surprising. Sometimes I see people's devices and I do really wonder. I once saw an iPhone someone owned that looked like it had been attacked by an angle grinder. Soo... Some people don't give a shit about semi-expensive things.

Usually the same people have a poor attitude about the way they lead their lives.

14. Post
    Hmm whether to shell out 600+ for one Zelda game...I guess I did when Ocarina of Time came out.

15. Post
    I haven't looked back at the cost, it's a set up for later down the track. BoTW is simply the most fun I've had on a game in years. Attention to detail with regard to art direction, musical score, how interactive every facet of the game is, just astounds me. My wife doesn't play video games and she keeps asking me to play it just so she can watch

But if you want to try before you buy, there's always COUGHCEMUCOUGH if you can wait a while until it's optimized

16. Post
    Dark_Hadou wrote:
    I haven't looked back at the cost, it's a set up for later down the track. BoTW is simply the most fun I've had on a game in years. Attention to detail with regard to art direction, musical score, how interactive every facet of the game is, just astounds me.
    This ^
    The upfront cost was pretty damn expensive and i was doubtful about zelda because i have never really enjoyed any of the games (besides Wind Waker) but it really is the best game I have played in awhile.
    I didnt particularly buy the switch because there were specific games i wanted to play now, i bought it because i like nintendo games and i wanted to support their launch with hopes of better games to come. I knew i was going to buy a switch at some stage so may as well get it day one (its not likely that they will be discounted anytime soon).

17. Post
    Sting wrote:

Yay! Worth the express shipping just to have it quicker lol, handheld mode is gonna rock.
    Damn worried now Play Asia is not sending Issac game. Don't mine waiting. But my order just shows "Status: Preparing order" without no shipping date.

Thinking they might of not got enough stock or any in to sell. Site just shows sold/out of print.

18. Post
    Beat my first run on Isaac after a few days of trying. Had to use a seed code which spawned the 'Daddy Long Legs' in the very next room after spawning which omgggggg is the best powerup for early playthroughs.

19. Post
    TodashXIX wrote:
    DOA electronics and the Switches poor design are not the same thing. And yes I am hating on the Switch because I think it's a bad system.
    Its an underpowered gaming tablet with controllers that click on the side. A cheaply and poorly designed dock that scratches the screen (which is unacceptable even if the user can opt to put a screen protector on, which they should not have to considering the Switch is a full price system)
    The whole system is cheaply built.
    Dark_Hadou wrote:
    I haven't looked back at the cost, it's a set up for later down the track. BoTW is simply the most fun I've had on a game in years. Attention to detail with regard to art direction, musical score, how interactive every facet of the game is, just astounds me. My wife doesn't play video games and she keeps asking me to play it just so she can watch

But if you want to try before you buy, there's always COUGHCEMUCOUGH if you can wait a while until it's optimized
    I was at the doctors the other day, aside from the general thing with doctors wanting to look at new tech, the people at the reception wanted to watch me ride around on a horse. The attention to detail in this game is something else also, right down to what my doc said of having detail on every hair on the horses tail.

I haven't looked back on price either. It's a small investment so I can play more Switch games later, Mario Kart will be out in a month and that's just a start, 2K Sports will have NBA2K18 out by September, and FIFA will be out along the way as well as some of the more interesting indie games such as Yooka Laylee, Rime and Troll and I.

20. Post
    Splatoon 2 Global Testfire is on this weekend, the file is available in NZ to download from the eshop.

Times here

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...enas_confirmed

I dont have time to convert everything to NZ however by my google-calculations the first 1 hour window is 8am NZT.

21. Post
    definitely looking forward to splatoon 2 although i am sure it'll still be very similar to the original (which isnt a bad thing).

enjoying my time with zelda for sure and i'm pretty sure i've only done a little bit in terms of completion.

only just realized last night (by actually reading either the description or those game hints during loading screens)that the guardian shields could actually deflect the guardian rays lol.

once i found that out i was like bring it on m'fkers (but then my shield broke so i stopped my guardian crusade)

on a slightly negative note, it's probably a combination of both but i swear the game sessions coupled with what i believe to be a less than satisfactory frame rate is giving me eye strain.

so far the Switch purchased has been worth it

22. Post
    I am probably going to have to buy a microSD card, what do you guys recommend? I know there's like 1gb microSD cards now but I don't know what I should be looking at.

23. Post
    get a reputable brand SDXC card - best read/write speeds if you are going to play games from it. I've read sandisk are heating up in all manner of devices, so probably something along the lines of Samsung evo+, a little more expensive but quality goods.

You can get them cheaper online via amazon and the like - just do some shopping.

Also I think you meant to say they're getting up to 1TB, not 1GB. By far the most common are still 256GB, and until there are a ton more games out, you'd struggle to fill that going full digital

24. Post
    Gwarden wrote:
    Hmm whether to shell out 600+ for one Zelda game...I guess I did when Ocarina of Time came out.
    Well, it's hard to say if it's worth all that if Zelda is the ONLY game you're going to play on Switch. It is for me because the game is the best thing I've played in about a decade. (Witcher 3 comes close but just lacks the raw interactive fun & variety). I've already played Zelda more than all my combined time on Oculus Rifts best titles (if that means anything).

Do you like the Mario titles? I think Switch will work well for games where you can attack them in short play-sessions: jump in for a few online Kart races, or do a few challenges in the new Mario world. I'm pretty sure the indie scene will provide a healthy amount of "game snack" content. Personally Zelda has been 90% a big screen experience for me. I prefer to lose myself in that epic world on a big screen for hours at a time (though the portable aspect is still great - I took it on the plane to CHCH and did some of the "house-keeping" type tasks - which are still f'ing fun in Zelda).

I'm really just hoping for a new Metroid title (which is basically Zelda + sci-fi). I feel like Metroid Prime was just as important as BoTW for its time but went under the radar a bit with the public.
    Last edited by silvereye; 22nd March 2017 at 8:12 pm.

25. Post
    Dark_Hadou wrote:
    My wife doesn't play video games and she keeps asking me to play it just so she can watch
    Yeah my wife has no interest in games. The only thing she ever played was Pokemon back in the day. She does the same and asks me to play so she can watch it over the top of her laptop screen.

It's so easy just to sink deep into the game. I've put an embarrassing 70+ hours into BoTW since launch. For me that is crazy... considering I usually game 70 hours about every 3-4 months. I just can't stop thinking about what I want to do next while I'm sitting here at work. I stopped playing it for two days and man... you really get some perspective when you come back to it - you almost take it for granted if you play it every day.

The amazing thing is I think there is another 70 hours of fun activity in the game for me. Then there is the promised hard mode, which if I'm guessing right will be more than just upping the enemy defence & attack. Then there is the whole new expansion which should be about 1/4 the size of the original (so about 25 hours possibly?). Holy shit.
    Last edited by silvereye; 22nd March 2017 at 10:56 am.