Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last

1. Post

Buying an older car

Hi Guys,

My mrs finally got her license and wants to use our car a lot more.
    Basically looking at getting a manual as a cheap run about that's also fun to drive just for me.

It seems like since I've last looked the cars that fit this requirement are getting quite pricey if you want anything with a bit of zip to it.

In my searching I've come across as Peugeot 205 1.6L 1990 in good condition for 3.5K.
    Is this a car I want to be owning to fit the bill or is it a little too old? I'm not mechanically minded but the car has a good service history and I don't mind spending a bit on it to ensure it stays reliable.

Previous cars:
    Altezza RS200
    Toyota Trueno 93

2. Post
    what is your budget? you can get a old v6/v8 commodore for about 5k these days

3. Post
    Not looking for a fuel guzzler. What would you say about a Peugeot 205?

4. Post
    I'd say get something Japanese if you want an older car.
    Unfortunately all the fun ones are getting pretty expensive to buy now, but their parts are cheap, and it's cheap to make them even faster if you want to.

5. Post
    ^ This. Don't get an old Peugeot. They are dirt cheap for a reason.

6. Post
    Just took a convertable peugot 205 for a drive. What a fun car! But yeah im thinking how do i maintain the thing

7. Post
    Buy my mx5

8. Post
    1999 mk4 golf super quick, handles like a go kart and no maintenance required

9. Post
    Coffeeshop wrote:
    Buy my mx5
    Pm me with dets

10. Post
    RS Vitz 1500cc.

Cheap, common, go basically forever. Looks vaguely sporty (for a Vitz anyway). Astonishing amount of fun.

I've had two of them, and they are really fun to drive, and painless to own.

11. Post
    Mk4's can be very expensive. Up there with passats with electrical issues. Plus how they ever thought vacuum for central locking was a good idea is beyond me. Get an mx5.

12. Post
    Bloodline wrote:
    Mk4's can be very expensive. Up there with passats with electrical issues. Plus how they ever thought vacuum for central locking was a good idea is beyond me. Get an mx5.
    Sarcasm bruh

13. Post
    ludez wrote:
    Sarcasm bruh
    He should have realised when you said a golf was quick, haha

14. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    He should have realised when you said a golf was quick, haha
    Haha yeah

15. Post
    buy a nissan march there around 3-4.5 k for a 2005 100kms, i spend 60$ every two weeks on gas for it

16. Post
    March/Micra's do have some issues that crop up more often than they ought. Headgasket, CVT goes bang, electric power steering failure, firewall rust, camchain stretches.

Doesn't happen to all, but are more common that I would have believed.

17. Post
    Yarrrrp, cubes are the same. The cylinder sleeves drop and make yum yum death #1, the gearboxes are made of glass

18. Post
    Agreed.

Buy my mx5.

19. Post
    AnotherLeon wrote:
    March/Micra's do have some issues that crop up more often than they ought. Headgasket, CVT goes bang, electric power steering failure, firewall rust, camchain stretches.

Doesn't happen to all, but are more common that I would have believed.
    This is for K12's and is right on the money.

Buy a K11 March (non CVT model) and you'll be away laughing

20. Post
    Even a 205 in top condition is going to regularly need mechanical work and parts for them can be hard to get. It's an enthusiasts car that you should expect to spend money on. If you like peugeots a 206 is a good option. Around same price and far more reliable and easy to get parts for. I'd suggest pre-2000 for sake of better wiring/electrics. A 206 gti/s16 tend to be reliable and good on long trips and around town.

I have one I track as well as daily drive. So reliable and cheap to run.

21. Post
    Just test drove 2l peugot 206 cc convertable. Fun car!

22. Post
    If you liked that you'd love the proper hatchback - 150kg of extra weight doesn't do anything positive for that platform

23. Post
    Coffeeshop wrote:
    Agreed.

Buy my mx5.
    Either mx5 or civic.

For a cheap fun car

24. Post
    Disinfo wrote:
    If you liked that you'd love the proper hatchback - 150kg of extra weight doesn't do anything positive for that platform
    This. The hatch is a real hoot to drive and super practical to live with everyday.

25. Post
    Coffeeshop wrote:
    Agreed.

Buy my mx5.
    Or any Mx5 if you don't need boot space and are ok with a little water ingression.