Page 5 of 6 First ... 23456 Last

1. Post
    Gordy wrote:
    Manual conversion and a supercharger? I'm tempted.
    Serious?! DO IT!!

2. Post
    GroundControl wrote:
    Cause insurance is mandatory here, and astronomically expensive for anything larger than a 1.2l Micra/Corsa/whatever for people that age.
    Cost me more to insure a 1.3 VW Polo with a clean full licence that it was to insure my modified Skyline here with a dirty restricted licence.

Whilst I agree with compulsory insurance, its done wrong in the UK.

3. Post
    Ended up getting something a bit older than I thought I would. 1993 Corolla GT.

Name:  15826112_10154858420265996_8990474891482176091_n.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  83.3 KB

4. Post
    Good choice, I like the GT Corolla sedan range (I've had an AE92 GT Corolla sedan for the last decade or so).

5. Post
    Black top 20v? Nice one

6. Post
    It's an AE101 so silvertop. I'm happy with it's performance but I'm no racer. It'd done 155K which seems to be low for this kinda car.

7. Post
    155k is very low, and whilst the silvertop is down on power compared to the blacktop, they're still a good engine (and are tough as old boots).

8. Post
    Having seen some of the suggestions in the earlier pages of this thread, I'm glad this is the result.

You've done well

Get that engine ECU out and check for leaking capacitors ASAP!

9. Post
    blackbox wrote:
    Having seen some of the suggestions in the earlier pages of this thread, I'm glad this is the result.

You've done well

Get that engine ECU out and check for leaking capacitors ASAP!
    Are there caps in these ECU'S? Is there a nice aftermarket one I can just pop in there?

10. Post
    Nope, there's nothing easy about Toyota ECU's.

That's why despite racing mine for 10+ years, I'm running a stock ECU.

11. Post
    Is there a guide on ECU recapping or should I not worry about it

12. Post
    Just do what I said. Pull it out, pull it apart, check it, go from there.

Replacing the capacitors is fairly easy, cleaning up and repairing isn't.

13. Post
    Might take it to an auto-electrician to look at.

14. Post
    nzbleach wrote:
    Might take it to an auto-electrician to look at.
    Just open it and see if any of the big capacitors are flat or rounded (like a dome) at the top or leaking anything out the bottom. It's probably fine, and if not it's not a big deal to replace them yourself if it's anything like the ones that go in tv/monitor power circuits. Will be heaps of videos on how to remove and replace caps, and even specific ones for ecus based on a quick google search. I wouldn't bother spending money to have it checked (imo).

e.g.

15. Post
    Ok I've found a replacement ECU that has been repaired. Just looked up whats involved in swapping it around. What a mission!
    I also want to "fix" my brakes. They feel soft compared to newer cars. The pads are good quality but I'm getting the brake lines flushed and refilled today. If that doesnt do it, I'd be keen to spend a bit on a new set like this http://www.mrpltd.co.nz/product/coro...big-brake-kit/ or something.

16. Post
    Did I miss something or is there a reason to check the ECU? I never knew about such a thing when I had either of my silvertops

17. Post
    It's the new head gasket diagnosis for GP I assume?

18. Post
    Coffeeshop wrote:
    Did I miss something or is there a reason to check the ECU? I never knew about such a thing when I had either of my silvertops
    Someone suggested it as a preventative under the assumption its a common fault.

I'll admit I've heard of early 90s toyota ecu's being a little shit with capacitors failing, however if it was just me I'd leave it if no problems were present.

19. Post
    Honda's do it too.
    My Integra ECU shit the bed about 18 months ago with an exploding cap.

20. Post
    New ECU inbound
    Just had it serviced as brakes were soft as ****. Now braking much better. Thinking of overhauling all the brakes to be honest. Saw some kits for like 1K.
    Only things that need doing really now are:
    ECU, both front wheel bearings and CV boots.

Other than that, she's good.

21. Post
    I wouldn't have thought it'd be that much of a mission to pull out the ECU, most Toyotas just have it sitting behind the passenger kickpanel. Is it auto or manual? A lot of Toyota ECU related issues are with auto transmissions, manual trans ECUs tend to fail less often.

And 1k seems like an awful lot to spend on a brake upgrade for a Corolla given if you're replacing calipers etc you'll need to get it certified (which is an additional $495 at least). If you're no racer as you said above just leave it as it is. You might find when you pull out the old ECU that it's fine so at least you can flick that off or recap and keep as spare

22. Post
    If you want to over hall your brakes, all you need are caliper kits tbh. 1k is a waste. They pull up fine. Just get her working as she should.

23. Post
    Yeah I was just being melodramatic. Still would be nice for brakes to feel as good as a newer car. Not sure whats missing but it feels a bit soft.

24. Post
    Does it have cheap skinny tires? My trueno stopped mint with just nice pads.

25. Post
    nzbleach wrote:
    Yeah I was just being melodramatic. Still would be nice for brakes to feel as good as a newer car. Not sure whats missing but it feels a bit soft.
    Could be something like worn shocks/springs as well. It's old so it'll never have the performance of a new car but any car that is maintained well should stop just fine regardless of age.