1. Post

Daymare: 1998 - RE2 fan remake reborn as original IP game

That RE2 fan remake from a while was announced to be reworked into an original IP game.

Anyway Invader Studios just dropped the first extended gameplay footage.

I like the immersive "fade-in" HUD, great for atmospheric games like these. I'm mixed on the RE4-esque tank controls and no moving and shooting gameplay however, even RE had completely moved away from that with RE6.

2. Post
    Looking forward to this one, heavy inspiration from early RE is a no brainer purchase for me.

I like the control scheme. You can't make games like this with slow moving enemies without the tank controls or they become trivial.

RE6 was the shittiest of the lot so I don't know why you'd point at it like it was a good example to follow though.

3. Post
    Bt wrote:
    RE6 was the shittiest of the lot so I don't know why you'd point at it like it was a good example to follow though.
    The playability of RE6's combat is actually one of things that they did right with that game. My point is you shouldn't have to impose artificial restrictions like shitty controls on gameplay to craft a compelling experience.

4. Post
    I still can't for the life of me figure out why RE4 is one of the most popular games of all time but the playable character can't handle moving AND shooting at the same time. Maybe this argument has been done to death? Probably.

5. Post
    w0lfbrains wrote:
    I still can't for the life of me figure out why RE4 is one of the most popular games of all time but the playable character can't handle moving AND shooting at the same time. Maybe this argument has been done to death? Probably.
    It was deliberate design decision by Shinji Mikami. A staple of the Survival Horror genre was relying on the crutch of shitty restrictions like hampered movement controls and fixed camera angles to affect the player's emotions. I.e. you get scared of facing monster X because your character awkwardly controls like a tank and you might not be able to see them properly depending on the fixed camera.

Part of it was also a hangover designing games for gamepads with only a d-pad. Even later REs made after the introduction of PS1 controllers with analogue sticks still kept the dated digital movement.

6. Post
    w0lfbrains wrote:
    I'm on on this too, the game looks too janky to be fun for me.

7. Post
    Maaaaaaan, I haven't picked up a fuse and a keycard since the original first few RE games.

This looks so promising, I will likely preorder CE if available.

They seem to be paying attention to all the little details which made the originals one of the best games to date.

8. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    The playability of RE6's combat is actually one of things that they did right with that game. My point is you shouldn't have to impose artificial restrictions like shitty controls on gameplay to craft a compelling experience.
    I never really noticed anything amazing about the combat except that it wasn't Resident Evil. Sliding, running while shooting, etc. Way too 'action' for me. It should be difficult to hit your target, move around, etc in a Survival Horror game as it adds to the tension. I don't think it is artificial at all when it is a design decision, tank controls are great :P

In saying that, I have an open mind. What Survival Horror games do you recommend that don't use tank controls and create a good mood?

9. Post
    Bt wrote:
    In saying that, I have an open mind. What Survival Horror games do you recommend that don't use tank controls and create a good mood?
    System Shock 2
    Dead Space 1 & 2 on Hard
    The Evil Within (what a follow up to RE4 should've been!)
    Alone in the Dark 2008
    REmake HD & RE0 HD with modern controls
    Condemned

Careful resource management is a core part of true SurHor, all of those games do it well.

10. Post
    System Shock 2 - Stopped playing after about 15 minutes, didn't really interest me.
    Dead Space 1 and 2 - Both fantastic games, though I don't like hard modes which are artificially difficul by pumping HP and damage output, its lazy design to me.
    The Evil Within - Couldn't really figure out what was going on, seemed okay but lost interest fast.
    Alone in the Dark 2008 - I have the collector's edition, had some problems getting it running properly/nicely so dropped it.
    REmake HD and RE0 - Great remasters but a shitton easier with the new controls.
    Condemned - This is one I've had my eye on but haven't had the time to get to. I'll play this.

You're right about the resource management, it is a critical part of the genre. Cheers for the list, I'll revisit the ones I didn't give enough of a chance in the near future.

11. Post
    Eva I'm holding you responsible to advise on preorder in a timely fashion. Okay mate?

12. Post
    bionic.man wrote:
    Eva I'm holding you responsible to advise on preorder in a timely fashion. Okay mate?
    Don't pre-order any game unless you're after some Limited Edition swag.

13. Post
    How are you supposed to establish yourself as a fanboy among others if you wait until launch for something?

14. Post
    Super stealthy advanced armoured HUD integrated suit..

No flashlight..

/smacks engineer in the head

15. Post

16. Post
    A no brainer. They've already put so much work into this.

17. Post
    I wish them all the best, but based on what I've seen and the fact I have no idea who anyone is in the team I won't be giving them money prior to release.
    When/if it get released I am happy to give it another look. It shows promise, but everything things I've seen is underwhelming imo.

18. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    I wish them all the best, but based on what I've seen and the fact I have no idea who anyone is in the team I won't be giving them money prior to release.
    When/if it get released I am happy to give it another look. It shows promise, but everything things I've seen is underwhelming imo.
    Bear in mind that the game was originally the below. That's very polished, professional quality stuff right there even though it's alpha build stuff from an indie team.

19. Post
    I think Chris is projecting his Torment experience to all crowdfunding projects.

This game looks and smells original Resident Evil games, and looks like they've got some of the original devs interested in collaboration.

20. Post
    bionic.man wrote:
    I think Chris is projecting his Torment experience to all crowdfunding projects.

This game looks and smells original Resident Evil games, and looks like they've got some of the original devs interested in collaboration.
    So you're calling me a liar now?
    Jesus.
    I am not impressed enough by anything I've seen to risk my money on it. Like dozens of other games seeking funds from backers I've not backed. I base my interest and amount I am willing to spend SOLELY on that project.
    I have backed multiple project post all the Torment bollocks.
    Who the hell do you think you are?

21. Post
    Perhaps it was wrong of me to say it like that. Certainly didn't mean to imply any if the things you've listed, except maybe that you're little less trusting.

22. Post
    Maybe not chris B type of game which is why. Game looks insane.

23. Post
    Looks very good but I rarely back Kickstarters

24. Post
    Kickstarters suck - if you want cash from me to develop something give me shares. You know, the way most investments work.

I bet lots of those who backed the Rift would have rather owned one share than gotten a "free" beta set.