Page 1 of 7 1234 ... Last

1. Post

Your worst games of 2016?

As the thread title says.

Mine:-
    Uncharted 4.
    Firstly the game took forever to start going anywhere. The first 5 hours were wretchedly paced, filled with boring cutscenes that go on forever. I actually forgot I was even playing a game and reached for the media remote to pause the movie so I could check my email.There was literally one point during a cutscene where Nathan Drake and Elena were fighting over who would do the dishes, Christ.
    • 5 hours for a ~15 hour journey to start getting good is lame.
    • The plot is predictable af, it's exactly as I guessed it would be in 2014.
    • That level where you're doing retired Drake's non-adventuring salvage job was painful to play. Who thought that shit was a good idea?

Midway through the game there are a couple levels where you're in vehicles and dropped into decently-sized open worlds. You're free to drive around and explore, looking for tidbits tucked away here and there. I found these levels sublime, probably the only parts in the entire game series where I actually felt like a treasure hunter.

Narrative wise what did surprise me was that there was no supernatural BS and no "escape the crumbling lost city" during the 3rd act this time around. Props to them for that.

Combat feels so rudimentary. The framework they have here is promising, but it feels like something from the 1st game in a new IP, not the 4th. This is what happens when don't give enough love towards actual gameplay as you do to other departments (eg graphics and cutscenes), you end up with a ridiculously stagnant core experience. This series is ~9 years old yet it's barely changed in that period.

Drake's toolkit for killing is so limited. Eg the only option for stealth killing is melee takedowns. I was stealthing around and longed for Lara's bow from Rise of the Tomb Raider to silently snipe some fools.

They clearly cribbed some stuff from Tomb Raider 2013 for this game like the rope but they didn't go far enough IMO. Taking Tomb Raider's mission hub style of level design would've been fantastic, they'd have a good excuse to give Drake a big toybox for the player to have more choice in their experience. I loved getting new gear in Rise and then revisiting old mission hubs to gain access to new places.

2. Post
    Stopped reading at uncharted..

3. Post
    Not sure why you think driving around was sublime, it was still linear AF. My biggest problem with it is the climbing which boils down to holding up and smashing the X button as fast as you can just to get through it. My favourite thing was the set pieces; they were astonishing and exciting. Looked gorgeous, although too many obvious platforms designed clearly for you to take photos; they were showing off how beautiful everything was. Acting was great, although the script wasn't as funny as Among Thieves. Calling it worst game is 2edgy4me; these games have always been interactive movies.

Worst game = No Man's Sky. I thought it would be crap from the trailers and the promise to visit a gazillion planets, inevitably you'd run out of things to do. The ships don't handle differently, combat is limited, inventory system is just a huge PITA. You can have fun if you treat it as a zen walking around lasering rocks simulation, taking photos of wildlife; that stuff is quite cool. But any game where the main goal seems to be increasing the number of slots in your inventory is deeply flawed.
    Last edited by Tormenta; 24th December 2016 at 8:54 am.

4. Post
    I haven't played a bad game in 2016, I bought all my games this year after release so I knew I would like them

5. Post
    The worst games I've played in 2016 would be Homefront: The revolution and Recore.

Homefront: The Revolution was pretty bad. The game was buggy as shite!

Recore: Well the really slow load times on console was pretty lame. Could easily make a really nice coffee with the long as load screens, and the end game was a bit of a let down having to collect super shiny balls just to go thru the other dungeons and having to deal with the loading times annoyed the heck outta me.

Can't think of any other games I've played this year that was a bit of a disappointment other than those 2.

6. Post
    Far Cry Primal - one of the most painfully boring games I've ever played. I love the Far Cry series (except for 2) so that made it even more disappointing.

7. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    Far Cry Primal - one of the most painfully boring games I've ever played. I love the Far Cry series (except for 2) so that made it even more disappointing.
    Yea its tied for me between that and Watch Dogs 2. Both Ubisoft titles. Just the same old open world formula.

8. Post
    Was going to grab Far Cry Primal, might skip it unless it pops up cheap. RollerCoaster Tycoon World took the cake for me, didn't really play many games this year so don't have a wide selection to choose from

9. Post
    I've been blown away with all games I've played this year in one form or another. I guess if I had to chose a 'worst' or most disappointing, it'd be Uncharted 4. That said, I'm still looking forward to playing some more of the co-op survival mode.

10. Post
    Homefront Revolution, it's just simply not fun.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst had a beta so bad it put me off the game, they ruined practically everything good about the first. All that needed to be done was take everything in 1 and make it bigger and more open. Nothing else, even keeping the strange animated cinematics would good.

Tom Clancy's The Division easily is the worst Tom Clancy game I've ever played (previously held by Splinter Cell Double Agent). There was a free weekend a little while back so I decided to try it again but after 30 minutes I could tell it was only going to get worse. Every time I saw an enemy I'd have to empty a magazine into them to kill them, I'd fire about 5 rounds and go back into cover, because that's what Tom Clancy games have trained me to do for 15-20 years. I'm expecting to shoot a hoodie wearing thug in the head and drop him with one shot, I might as well have been firing a BB gun for all the damage I did.

11. Post
    Only bad games I played this year were Risky Rescue and Bollo.
    Both were sub-$1 though
    : shrug :

12. Post
    Battlefield 1 beta. Could never get into a tank. Battlefield 4 was so much better.

13. Post
    GeneralZod wrote:
    Battlefield 1 beta. Could never get into a tank. Battlefield 4 was so much better.
    u wot

14. Post
    The Division for me.

15. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    Surely you saw this coming? The only redeeming fun in Far Cry was the guns and the chaos they caused.

16. Post
    For me personally, I found Dying Light to be boring. I'm over zombies and crafting shit all the time.

17. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    Surely you saw this coming? The only redeeming fun in Far Cry was the guns and the chaos they caused.
    Yeah I didn't have high hopes but I thought it would be a bit more fun than it actually was

18. Post
    Started reading Eva's post. And then saw as I expected some piss poor attempt to be edgy, by shitting on a game that is universally liked. Stopped reading and admit that Eva has lost the plot entirely.
    I understand someone not liking the game, but Eva shitposts about this franchise all the time, so him playing it was him looking for a reason to shit post some more. At this point Eva is almost a parody of himself. Shame really he used to have interesting things to say.

19. Post
    Space Hulk Deathwing. Looks great and got the space hulk look dead on and the stealers and terminators also look great. Boring as hell to play. Just a rather generic team based FPS where you just have to traverse corridors and survive waves of enemies as you make your way to the objective. Co-op AI is... alright but the enemy AI is just generic as they come. Also being a 40k fan it kind of annoys me that autogun wielding cultists are the most dangerous enemy when in actual fact they would do nothing to a terminator.

20. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Started reading Eva's post. And then saw as I expected some piss poor attempt to be edgy, by shitting on a game that is universally liked. Stopped reading and admit that Eva has lost the plot entirely.
    I understand someone not liking the game, but Eva shitposts about this franchise all the time, so him playing it was him looking for a reason to shit post some more. At this point Eva is almost a parody of himself. Shame really he used to have interesting things to say.
    This thread was going perfectly fine till you came in with that bait. He's fully entitled to his opinion as are you, but i really don't see your post as anything other then baiting and trolling.No contribution as 90% of the other posters have done

21. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    ^ saying something is universally liked is quite a shit argument for disregarding someone's opinion. bioshock infinite, fallout 3, 4 could all be called universally liked but if u stray away just a bit from mainstream opinions and the opinions or the lowest common denominator u'd see the abundance of well done reviews and analyses on why those game are, while not terrible terrible, are very very much overrated. i haven't see a single review done to that level that praise these games

entire uncharted franchise is overrated af but eva probably didn't go out of his way to play any actual shit games this year. probably played like 10 newly released games and this he found to be the worst. but to say it's the worst of 2016 is a bit of an overstatement

22. Post
    I'm going to jump on the Eva bandwagon slightly - I know it's not a 2016 game by any means, but I finally got around to finishing Uncharted 3 this year and I had to force myself to complete it. It wasn't the characters, story, graphics, anything like that, it was the gameplay that I took issue with. Absolutely horrendous. The movement and aiming controls felt floaty and awful, there was a notable input lag which I'm sure the older games didn't have (although I didn't compare side by side) and was overall quite painful to play.

I recall really enjoying Uncharted 1 and 2, and people seem to like 3, so I'm wondering if maybe I'm just less tolerant of that sort of thing these days. Either way, it was enough to put me off Uncharted 4 entirely - I'm not putting myself through that again.

I'm not sure what my worst game released in 2016 would be. I've become fairly selective in the kinds of games I buy these days so I don't pre-order unless it's a game I know I'm going to love (EG: Horizon 3) and I don't buy post-launch unless I have reasonable faith I'm going to enjoy it. If I had to pick a game I played this year that I was most disappointed with, it would have been No Man's Sky. Lucky for me I didn't buy it, but a friend burnt close to $100 on it and I got to spend some time with his copy. He had some mad buyers remorse for that purchase. I never expected it to live up to the hype, but it still amazed me how much stuff they'd shown in preview vids over the years which never made the final cut - about two thirds of the game was totally absent. Definitely should have been a $20 indie early access title and not a AAA release tbh.

23. Post
    @ludes and Groowee - Yeah those would be fine reasons to let Eva's opinion be, but the simple fact was just seeing the title and who posted it - I could have told you before even opening it exactly what he was going to say.

Given his previous post it's not hard to believe Eva is likely picking it more because he know's his opinions on the other games (which he played all 3 previous UC titles years after release and after playing Tomb Raider which he continues to hold it up against) were inflammatory enough to cause disagreements so he wanted the discussion. To add to it, it's less on his direct statements here but his continued attack on others opinions in the past himself. In should if you expected people to respect his opinions, then he should do the same himself - but he frequently doesn't. It's not a one way road. On that note, I can't disagree with your choice but I do have two nit picks:

--

Eva - You didn't "predict" shit about the plot in that post. You made the same assumption most people would about Drake's brother appearing and being the catalyst for bringing Nate back from retirement, that's it. That's not anything anyone wouldn't have guessed because that's a long established trope.

And rope mechanics didn't start or end with "Tomb Raider." It wasn't the first game with them and who knows if that was why UC4 had them or not. I enjoyed that game, but stop pretending it's the be-all-end-all. The entire concept of the open world in that game alone is cribbed from what Rocksteady did with Arkham Asylum (and the devs even mentioned this) and that's exactly as you said, just a modern adaption of other older games opening world maps.

--

In answer to your actual topic - I'm struggling to think of the worst game personally for reasons like was outlined by Groowee, I mostly only played games in the last year I wanted to play and on the whole they're all fairly decent - enough to overlook their flaws. The last game I can recall playing I didn't actually like was the 2013 Thief reboot... and maybe Lego Hobbit because a) there was too many busywork side quests and b) they released it without the 3rd movie in it and then announced they canned the add on that was planned.

I've been clearing backlog a lot this year and enjoyed most of what I've played.

24. Post
    Estumas wrote:
    Eva - You didn't "predict" shit about the plot in that post. You made the same assumption most people would about Drake's brother appearing and being the catalyst for bringing Nate back from retirement, that's it. That's not anything anyone wouldn't have guessed because that's a long established trope.
    Totally, 100% of Uncharted is tropey af. UC is basically "Romancing the Stone: The Video Game". The character dynamics of "douchey and crass risk-taking, adventuring hero" butting heads with "up-tight, professional lady" is old as Hollywood itself. Eg when Katherine Hepburn was in the "leading lady" primetime part of her film career, it was probably mostly spent playing Elena's archetype.

And rope mechanics didn't start or end with "Tomb Raider." It wasn't the first game with them and who knows if that was why UC4 had them or not.
    No shit TR2013 wasn't the first game with "real" physics affected rope swinging and it won't be the last. You're just being pedantic, but lemme ask you this:- is likely that people making Franchise A sequel would see what their direct competitor did with Franchise B's last entry and iteratively decide to build upon the formula they both share?
    I enjoyed that game, but stop pretending it's the be-all-end-all. The entire concept of the open world in that game alone is cribbed from what Rocksteady did with Arkham Asylum (and the devs even mentioned this) and that's exactly as you said, just a modern adaption of other older games opening world maps.
    More pedantry is stopping you from the bushes from the trees. The 4th sequel to a 9 year old franchise should have more depth to it both game system and scenario design wise than what we got, especially when other developers are doing the same schtick a whole lot better.

To make things worse Naughty Dog even left some of "their own work" on the cutting room floor. The Arkham-influenced melee combat from UC3? Gone. RotTR took the the on-the-fly crafting of improvised weapons from The Last of Us and used it so well. UC4? Nope.

25. Post
    Battlefield 1. Great campaign but the multiplayer just doesn't live up to my previous experiences with the franchise. It's better than 3 and 4 but nowhere near as compulsive as BC2 or BF2.