Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Interesting to see the PSVR in there. That said, my hype levels for it were never really high to start with, purely because of the price point. If it ever comes down in price to say around $400, I'd be keen.

3. Post
    A fair list, I'd add Deus Ex to it.

4. Post
    No Pokemon Sun/Moon? Less features than gen 6, and so many annoying cutscenes that the entire game may as well have just been a movie called Lillie's Adventure.

5. Post
    The only game I played on this list was No Man's Sky.. so many bullets dodged but I got hit by perhaps the biggest one.

6. Post
    Just set yourself up for disappointment if you came to Battlefield for the campaign. I've never been much of a fan of the series or of competitive shooters, but it turned out to be one of my highlights of the year

7. Post
    Couldn't get into bf1, was just a bit boring honestly. Sun was horrible

8. Post
    For me it was Uncharted 4, I didn't have high expectations anyway but finishing the game in 2 days (plat) I have never even touched the game since.

9. Post
    final fantasy xv

10. Post
    Great list, I definitely think Pokemon Moon/Sun should be added in as well considering all the hype it generated and the good reviews seemed to have overlooked the lack of substance in the actual game. Certainly not a bad game per se, but definitely a step backwards in many areas.

As a BF fan since Vietnam, the multiplayer in BF1 does look good and sound great. However it again lacks substance in the long run and seems to be designed with a casual base (like Star Wars BF) in mind which BF was not geared towards in the past. Casualisation in AAA titles appears to be the biggest trend these years, which is reflected in all the disappointing games above.

11. Post
    teelo7 wrote:
    No Pokemon Sun/Moon? Less features than gen 6, and so many annoying cutscenes that the entire game may as well have just been a movie called Lillie's Adventure.
    Or it should be called 'where Lillie and Hau escapes the boring islands and gets to go to Kanto, but Nintendo says you don't get to'.
    Was like a massive finger from Nintendo to all the players wanting to explore another region postgame.

12. Post
    warhammer deathwing.

13. Post
    bionic.man wrote:
    A fair list, I'd add Deus Ex to it.
    I really enjoyed MD, it was a bit brief and you kind of had to look for the story beats, but I really dug it.

Mafia III on PC was my biggest disappointment of 2016, seriously..... wtf.

14. Post
    PSVR - 1 week wonder.

Sony's gaming division will take a profit hit this year. But they could make it back with sales of the pro.

15. Post
    GeneralZod wrote:
    PSVR - 1 week wonder.

Sony's gaming division will take a profit hit this year. But they could make it back with sales of the pro.
    Aye? Where did you get this from? Recent sales trends show only one thing, which is every increasing sales of PS4 and PS4 PRO and every PSVR unit sold has a profit on top of it, Sony isn't selling hardware under cost. Microsoft isnt launching Scorpio anytime soon so PS4 PRO is a gamers only choice for a console based performance and graphics boost unless they want a PC

16. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Aye? Where did you get this from? Recent sales trends show only one thing, which is every increasing sales of PS4 and PS4 PRO and every PSVR unit sold has a profit on top of it, Sony isn't selling hardware under cost. Microsoft isnt launching Scorpio anytime soon so PS4 PRO is a gamers only choice for a console based performance and graphics boost unless they want a PC
    I don't think he knows what he's talking about. https://gamerant.com/playstation-vr-sales-546/

17. Post
    He may not "know" what he's talking about, but PSVR is killing VR.
    VR studios are closing left right and center. The predictions made recently also show that there will be next to no VR titles developed for 2017/18 release.
    Sony will focus on creating in-house games, but noone else will, but the 3rd party guys are losing interest because PSVR is so far below the PC headsets making a multi-platform VR game is just not viable.
    I've been to 6 dev conferences in the past 12 months focusing on VR, and the last four all echoed the same concerns. VR is going the way of 3D TV, but for different reasons.

VR is in VERY bad shape unless something amazing happens this year.
    Sony's premature entry is likely to screw the market completely, and it was never on secure footing anyway.
    Sony piggybacked on the hype and ****ed it for everybody.

18. Post
    You can't blame Sony for anything happening on PC. You can't just say it's Sony problem that a developer can't make a multi platform game - Sony makes hardware they don't owe anything to software devs - if pc has no vr games then that's they own fault due to very high and expensive pc hardware components and expensive headsets. There might be like 300 million pc gamers in the world but less than 1% have a pc that can run vr and even a smaller fraction of that 1% can or will buy a headset

19. Post
    GeneralZod wrote:
    PSVR - 1 week wonder.
    I've seen you say this several times now, but you also keep talking about how fantastic Microsoft's Hololens will be. Just don't get how you can be so dismissive of a platform you admit you haven't actually tried, yet have such a boner about one that hasn't even got a release date.

20. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    You can't blame Sony for anything happening on PC. You can't just say it's Sony problem that a developer can't make a multi platform game - Sony makes hardware they don't owe anything to software devs - if pc has no vr games then that's they own fault due to very high and expensive pc hardware components and expensive headsets. There might be like 300 million pc gamers in the world but less than 1% have a pc that can run vr and even a smaller fraction of that 1% can or will buy a headset
    I'm not. I am only relaying information from people who actually understand this shit.
    Also i am talking about VR in general. Devs have no interest in making PSVR games either. Try reading the whole thing before commenting.

21. Post
    That's really interesting i thought the psvr would have propelled VR as it is a much more accessible unit. Where as the vive and rifts point of entry are quite high possibly 2x the amount of psvr.

22. Post
    ludez wrote:
    That's really interesting i thought the psvr would have propelled VR as it is a much more accessible unit. Where as the vive and rifts point of entry are quite high possibly 2x the amount of psvr.
    That's what I thought aswell. I am still totally keen on getting a PSVR but being broke all the time I will just sit and watch what happens with VR.

23. Post
    ludez wrote:
    I am only speaking from the developer side.
    Basically VR is a pain to Dev for and the number of potential sales is low due to limited numbers of consumer units in players hands.
    Ideally Devs would like to release VR titles across all 3 platforms, but there is heavy segmentation.
    PSVR and Rift offer the same type of gaming experience, but PSVR titles need to have many corners cut which makes them less viable as PC releases (including the Vive). So developing PSVR fist is not ideal.
    Vive and Rift offer the best overall experience thanks to poly count, resolution, and responsiveness, but porting down to PSVR is problematic, due to again the power of the PSVR. Multiplatform dev becomes seriously problematic.

And then there is the same old issue of each manufacturer wanting exclusive titles, but its not viable to 3rd party devs. So its up to the manufacturers to produce these, but in turn it creates even more segmentation.
    And lets not even start with the Room tracking Vive stuff. Not only is it a pain to dev for, it actually sees very low long term engagement. Its a cute idea, and a nice PR flashcard, but currently its not a viable gaming experience outside of very niche experiences.

Lastly PSVR has created an experience that is less than stellar, and more likely to induce nausea. And all 3 fail to allow games to have decent gaming sessions. Comfort, or simulator sickness issues means you're topped at out 20-30 mins at best for most players.

To succeed on a Development standpoint the units need:
    to be much cheaper
    To stop pushing exclusive content
    Have parity across devices/industry standards
    Comfortable
    Safe
    Not cause sickness in users
    More market saturation (the audience is EXTREMELY limited even on PS)
    Ideally be wireless

So for the time being VR will be dominated by 1st Party games until developing for them is actually profitable for developers.
    VR studios are closing because the sector is a mess on the development side. Its not viable to invest in a premium VR game, so we are left with niche and narrow focused experiences.

PSVR has massively increased the market, but its still very small, and also very limited by what can actually be produced by the PSVR. In terms of fidelity, reposivenes, complexiry and control the PSVR loses it wow factor much quicker than the other platforms. The engagement figures (3rd part only) indicate this quite clearly.

24. Post
    Cool thanks for all that information. Interesting to hear it from that side

25. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    He may not "know" what he's talking about, but PSVR is killing VR.
    The trouble with Rift (+ controllers) and Vive is their pricing is too high for everyone but early adopter enthusiasts. I suppose we'll have to wait for Microsoft's "mid-range" VR offerings.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/31361...-question.html
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/31431...odest-pcs.html