Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Happy with the emergence of finger scanning tech?

Feels like this kind of tech has slowly but surely been integrating itself into society... but are you okay with this? I don't really use any tech that needs a finger scan, so I can't really comment just now. But was wondering what others think... is it a bit too intrusive and dangerous?

2. Post
    No drama here. I like the new scanners they have on phones and want to see them on business laptops.

Sick of these little bars that don't work that have been around forever.

Business has been integrated with fingerprint scanners for a long time without any serious problems.

3. Post
    Yes it saves me a whole 3 seconds from having to enter a PIN number on my phone

4. Post
    Not a fan, as I am often using other peoples tablets / etc to showthem what they want to do, adding emails etc, and I don't have their finger.

5. Post
    I burnt off my fingerprints when I joined the MIB

6. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    Yes it saves me a whole 3 seconds from having to enter a PIN number on my phone
    I don't use it on my phone, I just like the scanner type vs these sacks of crap.

Business finger print software stores passwords etc, super convenient as long as you encrypt your machines.

We had U.are.U 4500s on the desktops and those rock. Very fast, very accurate, works first time every time.

7. Post
    The new XPS 13 from dell has a proper captive scanner for what it's worth.

I'm all for them.

8. Post
    Interesting answers... I was reading about it all in this article on fingerprinting and it really made my wonder what others thought. I guess this kind of tech can only become more prominent?

9. Post
    Watching people I know, who are in multi-person, non-stop, chat streams, constantly swipe the unlock pattern into their phones, makes me want to smash them! their phones that is...

Love the scanner on the back of my Nexus 5x. I used a smart watch in the past to keep it unlocked, but didn't always have it on, so this is more convenient.

10. Post
    I guess it's fine unless it malfunctions and locks you out... definitely makes it easier for people to have "security" without being a hassle.

11. Post
    rabbitinahat wrote:
    Interesting answers... I was reading about it all in this article on fingerprinting and it really made my wonder what others thought. I guess this kind of tech can only become more prominent?
    Uhhh, that article isn't about the prints on your fingers...

12. Post
    brand wrote:
    I guess it's fine unless it malfunctions and locks you out... definitely makes it easier for people to have "security" without being a hassle.
    It has pin back up. If you reset or power up the phone, you have to put the pin in first.

13. Post
    Also (at least with Samsung devices) if it can't read your finger three times in a row you have to enter a pint.

14. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Also (at least with Samsung devices) if it can't read your finger three times in a row you have to enter a pint.
    So what you get your phone drunk and eventually it will give in - like your tinder dates?

15. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    So what you get your phone drunk and eventually it will give in - like your tinder dates?
    Tinder dates, your wife, what's the difference.

16. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Tinder dates, your wife, what's the difference.
    About half of everything you own.

17. Post
    Phones like. Laptops like.
    We have them on a few doors at work and they are too annoying to use. I scan my card instead.

18. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    ..swipe the unlock pattern..
    Those unlock patterns are so stupid, even through the corner of your eye you can blatantly see what their pattern is

19. Post
    What do you do if it gets compromised? You can change a password but you can't change biometrics.

20. Post
    As above, it has pin code backup. If it doesn't read your fingerprint after 3 tries, or the device has just been powered on, or reset, it will ask for the pin code.

It is a more convenient way to unlock a device, rather than added security, though of course has that benefit, if someone is looking over your shoulder when you use the scanner.

21. Post
    Call me old fashioned but I like the idea of a good, strong password that is changed every so often.

22. Post
    Analgia wrote:
    What do you do if it gets compromised? You can change a password but you can't change biometrics.
    Turn it off? If someone is out there replicating your fingerprints then you've probably got bigger problems and data that should have had stronger security anyway.

You're also probably a finger short.

23. Post
    Through customs during the holiday period, I went through a few checkpoints which includes finger print scans. that was new to me.
    Korea and Taiwan from memory - both index fingers.

24. Post
    Unsettled wrote:
    Not a fan, as I am often using other peoples tablets / etc to showthem what they want to do, adding emails etc, and I don't have their finger.
    This isn't an issue at all, or at least is solved by one of either;

• you have to have a password or PIN ALSO setup
    • you can add multiple fingerprints

If I want you to be able to access my devices, you either know my PIN or your fingerprint has been saved. No hassles.