1. Post
    It was just a second. I recommend watching the stream. The link is in the post I made at 2:57

2. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    It was just a second. I recommend watching the stream. The link is in the post I made at 2:57
    Will do

3. Post
    Mikos wrote:
    Doesnt exactly the same concept apply in pillars?
    To an extent, but engagement changed everything.

It doesn't allow for a complete choice of characters and their development.

I've actually been doing a lot more microing to preserve the integrity of roleplay (priest w/ staff, grieving mother w/ dagger, my dual wielding barb).

So when I had to rest before a map was cleared, it irked me.

Out of curiosity, what was your party setup?

4. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Some cool details regarding the gameplay, lore and tone of the new game in that stream: double points for the Morrissey shirt too, shot JS

Never heard the IWD remark though, I did make instant noodles at one point in the vid though, no doubt it was then

5. Post
    From Fig comments:
    "Feargus developer
    There are new weapons as well as, when appropriate, weapons will sheath in scabbards."

This and different weapon postures may not sound like much, but little details like that really add to the immersion.

Also, they've crossed 2 mill

6. Post
    bionic.man wrote:
    To an extent, but engagement changed everything.

It doesn't allow for a complete choice of characters and their development.

I've actually been doing a lot more microing to preserve the integrity of roleplay (priest w/ staff, grieving mother w/ dagger, my dual wielding barb).

So when I had to rest before a map was cleared, it irked me.

Out of curiosity, what was your party setup?
    I rest when all my best spells are spent. No qualms with the rest mechanic. I rest more often that most players....meh

Engagement mechanic is love hate. I never understood it at first, but now I do. Biggest problems I have so far are the dicks in that cragholdt bluff. Idiots breaking engagement and teleporting all over the show. I feel it completely negates my party strength. When battles come solely down to choke points and cheesing so teleporters can't get to your back line, it just makes me feel like I'm cheating.

7. Post
    Current party lineup is:

Eder - front line tank
    Durance - front line off-tank
    Kana - back row gunner/support
    Grieving mum - back row gunner/crowd control
    Hirvais - second row reach/crowd control or damage
    PC Wizard - back row damage

8. Post
    Mahela (abydons hammer pwnage)
    Zahua/pallegina
    Devil
    Hirivas
    Sagani
    Pc (wizard)

High dps and killing things as fast as possible is so much more effective than tanking in my playthrough on hard difficulty. Pallegina with acuracy aura is arguably better than zahua, im just using him due to wanting some situational stuns.

9. Post
    Mikos wrote:
    Mahela (abydons hammer pwnage)
    Zahua/pallegina
    Devil
    Hirivas
    Sagani
    Pc (wizard)

High dps and killing things as fast as possible is so much more effective than tanking in my playthrough on hard difficulty. Pallegina with acuracy aura is arguably better than zahua, im just using him due to wanting some situational stuns.
    I'm only playing on normal, and have been taking a more defensive/support loadout for my party.

I'm just about at level 12 now. I think I'll hit the inn and respec everyone and go for more aggressive damage related talents.

10. Post
    The only thing is when things go bad, they go really bad really fast

11. Post
    Mikos wrote:
    The only thing is when things go bad, they go really bad really fast
    This, so much.

And I'm not afraid to reload and try again till I get a perfect fight!

12. Post
    Haisley wrote:
    Idiots breaking engagement and teleporting all over the show. I feel it completely negates my party strength. When battles come solely down to choke points and cheesing so teleporters can't get to your back line, it just makes me feel like I'm cheating.
    And this scratches my itch perfectly, thank you.
    Bypassing engagement lock and teleporting equals camera shake in a horror movie in my books.

Josh did mention weapons will have alternative properties to engagement, so if that correlates to a fighting choice that's not a slave to engagement, colour me fully erect.

13. Post
    Update #7: Multiclassing Details with Josh Sawyer!

Salve, amici. I'm here to rap at you about a very cool topic: multiclassing. In Pillars of Eternity, it took a huge amount of work to get in our 11 classes. During the early phases of Deadfire, a demon whispered in my ear, "What about multiclassing?" and here we are today.

Before I begin explaining how our multiclassing works, I'd like to explain our goals for multiclassing, because I think that can help put the system's mechanics into perspective. We want multiclassing to allow players to realize character concepts that aren't possible with the single class options. We want to keep the relative power of the multiclass character at about 75%-85% what a single class character would have at any given level. In our experience, that's the sweet spot where multiclass characters feel powerful and effective, but don't clearly outshine the single class characters. We want the multiclassing system to keep characters viable no matter when the player chooses to multiclass. We want to limit the number of permutations to something manageable. Finally, we want to give multiclass characters a unique title for their class combo.

With that in mind, we came up with our current system. At any time from 2nd level on, players have the ability to select an additional class to advance. Both classes may have subclasses, though certain paladin orders or priest deities (both of which are required subclasses) may lightly restrict multiclass options. When they make that choice, they gain a multiclass title, like "battlemage" for a fighter/wizard. After a second class is chosen and advanced, the player may alternate between classes as they see fit. In this system, companions may also multiclass, though their 1st class must always be one of their base classes (e.g. fighter or rogue for Edér, wizard for Aloth).

We try to keep the relative power band at the ideal spot through the use of associated Power Sources. Every class has a Power Source, from Rage for barbarians to Arcane for wizards. The level of a Power Source determines what level abilities can be chosen from that class, the available resources (casts/uses) for related abilities, and the strength (damage, number of projectiles, etc.) of those abilities. The level of a Power Source increases as the character advances and gains points (like experience points) in that source. A character always gains +3 points in the Power Source of the class they advance and +1 point in every other Power Source. However, those secondary points are "virtual" unless the player multiclasses into the class that uses it.

I'll go into examples, but here's the scale for how Power Source advances:

For example, a single class fighter would advance their Discipline from 1st to 10th level like this:

If that progression looks familiar, it's because we're trying to follow the general pattern of Pillars of Eternity and A/D&D, where new levels of abilities become available every odd level. For comparison, here's how a 50/50 split battlemage (fighter/wizard) would advance their Discipline and Arcane:

In this example, Power Sources advance a few levels later than they would in a single class character. The lag is not enormous, but it's enough that the single class character is typically getting access to the highest level abilities earlier than the multiclass character. In the video, I also give another battlemage example where the levels are chosen more erratically.

I should note that although the system designers and I believe this system gives the 3E D&D-style flexibility while solving some of that system's pitfalls, the cost is clarity. Using Power Sources as an intermediate resource to keep relative advancement stable makes things less clear to players. It also allows for a margin between optimal and viable progressions; some advancement schemes will grant access to power levels unevenly. An AD&D-style multiclassing system (where the combination is chosen at character creation) would make advancement clearer for players (and easier for us to balance) at the cost of player flexibility.

As always, your feedback and support are appreciated. Thanks for reading.

-- Josh Sawyer, Design Director

Stay tuned for our next update on Tuesday that focuses on Deadfire Lore!

14. Post
    I like stat tables

15. Post
    Haisley wrote:
    Current party lineup is:

Eder - front line tank
    Durance - front line off-tank
    Kana - back row gunner/support
    Grieving mum - back row gunner/crowd control
    Hirvais - second row reach/crowd control or damage
    PC Wizard - back row damage
    Hmm I normally have Kana front row with a greatsword, I could be doing it wrong.. (Kana/Eder/Durance front)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

16. Post
    IST wrote:
    Hmm I normally have Kana front row with a greatsword, I could be doing it wrong.. (Kana/Eder/Durance front)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Yeah, he comes with his Estoc which assumes big burly two hander. But I don't really like him up front.

17. Post
    It's cute how Obsidian are capitialising on the recent Torment scandal.
    https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfir...te=245#updates

Now, it wouldn't be a proper update if we didn't give you info about our newest stretch goal. In addition to Italian language localization, this one has two features.

18. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    It's cute how Obsidian are capitialising on the recent Torment scandal.
    https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfir...te=245#updates
    Yeah because they wouldn't have planned their stretch goals well in advance, and planned a new language at each stretch goal based on player base.... oh wait thats exactly what they did. Coincidence. Nothing more.

19. Post
    They've listed localisation in the comments section long before this update.

20. Post
    Yeah even ignoring that the general feeling between the two companies would make that kind of move a bit off. But im sure it will galvanise them not to let their own comunication and delivery targets decay.

21. Post
    Josh is very charismatic. I liked his classroom breakdown of the multiclassing.

22. Post
    Full steam ahead, choo choo!

"We've hit the $2.6 million and unlocked Berath's Blessing. As a reminder, Berath's Blessing is our version of New Game+ that features optional bonuses and challenges that unlock as you gain achievements. The next goal at $2.8 million adds a*full orchestra soundtrack, an increased level cap, and one more sub-class per class. Then we've got the $3.0 million goal that adds companion relationships that we're so excited about!"

23. Post
    There be ships

Update 16:

24. Post
    This is really going well funding wise, bloody good stuff

25. Post
    IST wrote:
    This is really going well funding wise, bloody good stuff
    Game was 400% funded yesterday, $4.4 mil. I've got my CE locked down.