1. Post
    w0lfbrains wrote:
    interesting.
    Is that an interesting you agree, or interesting because you do not?

2. Post
    Hypron wrote:
    I wouldn't even say it's inspired by Japan; it's a Japanese game by Japanese developers taking place in Japan - can't really do much more Japanese than that haha.

Having said that, "Nioh" is a stylization because 仁王 would usually be romanized as niou/niō (ou = ō = drawn out o).

But yeah it's a lot better than "neo" since 1. "neo" is only pronounced that way in English - pretty much no other language pronounces "e" this way, and 2. the title actually refers to an actual name whereas "neo" means "new" which is completely different.
    To add to this, Nioh (Japanese: 仁王 Hepburn: Niō?, lit. "benevolent king", usually referring to Nio). Which I think is referring to the Guardian Spirits.

Niō (仁王?) or Kongōrikishi (金剛力士?) are two wrath-filled and muscular guardians of the Buddha standing today at the entrance of many Buddhist temples in East Asian Buddhism in the form of frightening wrestler-like statues. They are dharmapala manifestations of the bodhisattva Vajrapāṇi, the oldest and most powerful of the Mahayana Buddhist pantheon. According to Japanese tradition, they travelled with Gautama Buddha to protect him

3. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Is that an interesting you agree, or interesting because you do not?
    Well I'll never get to play this game because I don't own a PS4. I initially disagreed with your post but then I thought about it some more with my 1200+ hours of Dark Souls games and realised I can kind of at least understand what you are saying.
    Dark Souls is supposed to be viable with any build but some bosses I can only beat one way. And that way is usually melee + rolling with no shield, which requires memorising their entire attack resume and always feels like the best way to beat the boss.

4. Post
    You've played a lot more than me then. I have beaten 1 and 2, but got bored in 3. I think because after Bloodborne I could not go back to the slog of a pace, and it felt really locked in during combat. There were very obvious "efficient" or "best" ways to kill most bosses, and its usually pause+hit+roll+repeat, sometimes with a block to modify. Granted I have never played a ranged build so I cannot comment, but as far as melee goes SoulsBorne feels limited in comparison. But as I said thats a personal preference thing. I think that Nioh has far more enjoyable combat, and a lot more freedom to approach each boss. But as I also said the Souls games a hugely popular for a reason.

5. Post
    I really like the responsive controls, combo's / skills & different battle stances which some are better for different types of enemies. I've gone with basically a full Ninja build, (Most points spent on Dex) & wearing super light armor (in the blue for weight). Is a pretty fun build.

6. Post
    Keen to give it a try but not keen to buy it , mainly because im scared it will b too hard and frustrating and ill never get anywhere.

7. Post
    XSpike wrote:
    I really like the responsive controls, combo's / skills & different battle stances which some are better for different types of enemies. I've gone with basically a full Ninja build, (Most points spent on Dex) & wearing super light armor (in the blue for weight). Is a pretty fun build.
    I did the same with dual wielding as my main, and axe as secondary. Super fun build. Am keen to try a more balanced build next. Will likely stay away from the slower builds as I already have SoulsBorne for that.

Also, this seems like a decent collection of info for folks

Usergame wrote:
    Keen to give it a try but not keen to buy it , mainly because im scared it will b too hard and frustrating and ill never get anywhere.
    Its a shame the demo is no longer available. Maybe it will come back in the future.
    It is difficult. Souls level difficult, but it "feels" easier.

8. Post
    I kind of wish you could romance that beautiful girl from the trailers.

Then I remember this isn't a BioWare game

9. Post
    I sunk a lot of time into demon souls which is maybe my favorite game ever I purchased a PS3 just to play it. Played dark souls a fair bit then got worn out by souls games. I got DS2 on PC and was instantly tired of it, got bloodborne and it just sat on me shelf gathering dust. I'd be nervous buying this, think I'll wait till i see a cheap 2nd hand one

10. Post
    Usergame wrote:
    try bloodborne first, you can get a copy for about $10-15, if you can handle that then you can handle nioh

11. Post
    Played a few hours last night, got up to the first 'true' boss. Really enjoyed it and can't wait to see where else the journey will take me, great feeling getting the loot on the fly but feels a bit cumbersome having to go into the menu to equip (a quick-equip would be appreciated but certainly not a biggie).

So far it's a lot easier than DS1, DS3 or BB (the other souls games I've played). The intro mission is a great tutorial in itself, along with an optional dojo tutorial as well.

I love that there are the huge demons hidden in plain sight around the world and I usually smoke them within seconds by activating my super saiyan peacock thing. Experimenting with stances + weapons is less intimidating than I thought. I love rocking the low stace + dual katanas, I'm like a rolling cheese grater on these bishes.

Favorite part though is having the gravestones of dead players to battle though I stayed clear of them for the most part.

Bit disappointed the co-op is not the same as the beta where you can summon anyone into your world (I think you have to clear the area first) but it's just a case of GIT GUT. (I'm not gud, to clarify. Never have been in souls games but persevere nonetheless.) I think a lot of people were anticipating it being like the beta where you could summon help through your first area, however this would have been for the purpose of network stress testing more than anything I think.

So far enjoying it more than Dark Souls 3 but Bloodborne remains my #1 for now.

12. Post
    ^-- Haven't actually tried summoning someone to my game or joining, was hoping you would of summoned me last night.. it should be the same, you just need to push R3 to connect to the servers & have the item to summon someone.

SirGrim wrote:
    try bloodborne first, you can get a copy for about $10-15, if you can handle that then you can handle nioh
    Nioh is a way different game, I really can't be stuffed trying to finish the first level on Bloodborne - find Nioh a lot easier with its better responsive controls & more engaging combat.

Some of my gameplay so far.

13. Post
    IST wrote:
    I kind of wish you could romance that beautiful girl from the trailers.

Then I remember this isn't a BioWare game
    Of course you did.
    I bet you the type of player who scoured the map in LA Noire, just to find the girl from the game front cover xD

14. Post
    I found the Nioh demo more difficult than the Bloodborne DLC bosses - are you guys sure its an easier game?

15. Post
    XSpike wrote:
    ^-- Haven't actually tried summoning someone to my game or joining, was hoping you would of summoned me last night.. it should be the same, you just need to push R3 to connect to the servers & have the item to summon someone.
    nah you need some kind of a cup (which I didn't have) to summon anyone otherwise i would have been all over it. I suspect you only get the cup once you clear that area but not 100%.

16. Post
    My Brother had 2 cups by the end of the first real mission, didn't use it as I thought might as well save them for the next mission.

SirGrim wrote:
    I found the Nioh demo more difficult than the Bloodborne DLC bosses - are you guys sure its an easier game?
    Yeah once you've got the hang of Ki Pulse & such, it is much easier. The first few battles as you learn, might seem harder as you run out of breath & get owned

17. Post
    The mechanics just click with me more than they did with Dark souls.Maybe cause its more action based rather than skill based like Dark souls is.

18. Post
    XSpike wrote:
    My Brother had 2 cups by the end of the first real mission, didn't use it as I thought might as well save them for the next mission.
    interesting. I checked several times after levelling up at the first shrine but didn't think to see if I'd picked one up later. Wonder how you get them? By defeating the mini bosses or helping those frog dudes?

19. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    The mechanics just click with me more than they did with Dark souls.Maybe cause its more action based rather than skill based like Dark souls is.
    I read this as "button mashing is viable" in Nioh.

20. Post
    w0lfbrains wrote:
    I read this as "button mashing is viable" in Nioh.
    and you would be 100% incorrect. That will get you killed just as fast as it does in SoulsBorne.

21. Post
    10 out of 10 then says graphics are underwhelming with a flat story I think the reviewer is showing bias towards the platform on this one.Not into RPGs but it does look sweet.

22. Post
    neddycgoon wrote:
    10 out of 10 then says graphics are underwhelming with a flat story I think the reviewer is showing bias towards the platform on this one.Not into RPGs but it does look sweet.
    wat
    10 doesn't have to mean it's perfect you nub.

23. Post
    XSpike wrote:
    Yeah once you've got the hang of Ki Pulse & such, it is much easier. The first few battles as you learn, might seem harder as you run out of breath & get owned
    Pretty much this. I'm about 4-5 hours in and its much easier than the darksouls games (I think I've died two or three times so far). Actually a bit surprised at the amount of people saying they find it harder.

24. Post
    neddycgoon wrote:
    I am a PC gamer, so there is no bias. The game is "best in class" its just that simple.

25. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    The game is "best in class" its just that simple.
    "While the comparisons to the From Software library are unavoidable, this is a very different experience"

So, what class/genre is it?