Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Another gold star to show why the PS4 is the best gaming platform.

Great review. Can't believe some of the scores this game is getting.

3. Post
    GeneralZod wrote:
    Another gold star to show why the PS4 is the best gaming platform.
    Lol, ok.

Strong claims there ChrisB. Must own title for the PS4 then.

4. Post
    Some may find the graphics a little underwhelming.
    SirGrim wrote:
    Nioh is also brutally ugly, with PS3 era graphics and can't do 4k 60fps even.

5. Post
    Is it pronounced as "Neo" or "Nigh-Oh"

6. Post
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    Ni-?
    (click listen on the Norwegian side)

7. Post
    I always thought it was "Nigh-Oh" but the ign reviewer says Neo.

8. Post
    I thought it was Ne-Yo.

9. Post
    Haisley wrote:
    Lol, ok.

Strong claims there ChrisB. Must own title for the PS4 then.
    Indeed. This is not my go to genre at all, but it almost immediately grabbed me. It fixed every issue I had with the Souls combat system. I personally find the rhythm puzzle aspect of From Software's titles a little limiting. They're satisfying as hell when you nail the timing, but I prefer the more open and reactive nature of Nioh. It feels more like a fight. If that makes sense.

10. Post
    Of course, Mighty Ape didn't come through on release day for me for the first time ever....FML, fomo till tomo it is then!

Great review Chris, god damn this sounds great!!

I'm also a +1 on team "Ne-Oh", sounds right IMO.

11. Post
    best action game in a decade aye?

Well I have it and will give it a try tonight. I know I'll enjoy it.

12. Post
    apparently Amazon is sold out and has no more copies of Nioh

13. Post
    10/10 and it's not even on the best games platform? bah

14. Post
    one_red_god wrote:
    10/10 and it's not even on the best games platform? bah
    Clearly not the best platform then

15. Post
    *hugs copy*

Can't wait to sink my teeth into the game tonight!

16. Post
    10/10 that's pretty crazy. I know nothing of these types of games.

Is it just a better Dark souls ?

17. Post
    ludez wrote:

I find it worse than dark souls but that's just me, some may like it more because it has more combat variety and its fast paced with more randomness in battles

18. Post
    ludez wrote:

Yes. No. Not really. Dark Souls lacks any real option to approach combat how you'd like. Nioh actually required a different skill set.
    Where Dark Souls is all about deliberate and set responses to attack cycles due to its pacing, Nioh allows you to be proactive. Its a far more nuanced system.
    Ultimately it comes down to taste. The Souls games are popular for a reason. For me though Nioh is vastly more interesting and a lot more fun.
    Watch a video, that should help.

19. Post
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    Assuming it adheres to Japanese pronunciation I'd say its closest to the "Neo" you wrote. The "ne" part should sound kinda like "knee" and make the "o" sound like it does in "ornament" (sorry for how seemingly random that example word is lol) and extend the length of the sound.

20. Post
    But if it was pronounced "neo" (like the matrix character) then why not write it as neo?

21. Post
    KrimzinZV wrote:
    But if it was pronounced "neo" (like the matrix character) then why not writer it as neo?
    Because its heavily inspired by Japan? So it uses Japanese phonetics?

22. Post
    I'm tentatively optimistic. Videos just aren't doing it for me, doesn't help that most reviewers seem to be trash at playing it.

23. Post
    How is the difficulty compared to the Soulsborne games? I'm pretty crap at these type of games but still looks like it might be fun

24. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Where Dark Souls is all about deliberate and set responses to attack cycles due to its pacing
    interesting.

25. Post
    Bt wrote:
    Because its heavily inspired by Japan? So it uses Japanese phonetics?
    I wouldn't even say it's inspired by Japan; it's a Japanese game by Japanese developers taking place in Japan - can't really do much more Japanese than that haha.

Having said that, "Nioh" is a stylization because 仁王 would usually be romanized as niou/niō (ou = ō = drawn out o).

But yeah it's a lot better than "neo" since 1. "neo" is only pronounced that way in English - pretty much no other language pronounces "e" this way, and 2. the title actually refers to an actual name whereas "neo" means "new" which is completely different.
    Last edited by Hypron; 8th February 2017 at 9:55 pm.