1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    I thought they stopped having consoles in Welly hospital years ago, after they kept getting stolen.

3. Post
    Scum of the earth. I bet the people that stole it have a kid in the hospital too

4. Post
    ludez wrote:
    Scum of the earth. I bet the people that stole it have a kid in the hospital too
    I'm calling extended family or friends of someone they visited in hospital.

5. Post
    Yeah probably right. Or just scummy parents

6. Post
    The same thing happened about 9 years ago. My son was undergoing cancer treatment at the time. The kids rely on these consoles as they are often in an isolation room for a week or two without being allowed to go out to the communal play area. Luckily I was working with a group of very generous people and we raised over $2000 to buy the hospital new gear. I went along to Dick Smith and negotiated cost price on replacement gear and we got the hospital new tvs, new playstations, and portable dvd players.

The people who steal this stuff are often relatives of sick kids in the general ward who don't have a lot of this sort of gear at home. It's really sad that they see fit to steal things from sick kids.

7. Post
    Like I'm happy that they got a few new PS4's but I'm just as worried that they're just gonna be taken like the one that went missing. Maybe screwed to a table isn't going to be enough.

8. Post
    Should've replaced it with a Wii U, aint no one stealing that

9. Post
    Tormenta wrote:
    Yea i'm sure kids in that ward would love motion controls.

10. Post
    Jesus, people can be utter shit sometimes

Awesome they sorted new gear, god damn the thought process behind stealing a cancer ward's PS4 blows my mind.

11. Post
    IST wrote:
    Jesus, people can be utter shit sometimes

Awesome they sorted new gear, god damn the thought process behind stealing a cancer ward's PS4 blows my mind.
    I doubt there was much thought process behind it at all. People like this rarely have any thought about their victims, they just see something they want so they take it.

12. Post
    I hope this time they'll put it in a locked/sealed cabinet similar to what stores do. Though I'm not sure how tard proof that is either.

13. Post
    Tormenta wrote:
    lol'd

14. Post
    Chucked some $$ at it

15. Post
    Thievery: not ideal generally speaking overall, but then there is definitely a scale of understandability that starts at one end with "stealing food in desperation to feed one's starving family", and I'm pretty sure "pinching joy from seriously ill kids for a few quick bucks" is near the other end of that spectrum.

Heartening to see the response though. Seems like even the PA blokes are getting in there via their Child's Play charity.

16. Post
    The thought process is likely something about how the Hospital will just get a new one.

It wouldn't have anything to specifically be about the kids.

Not lessening the enormity of what the thieves did. Just pointing out that motivations aren't always directly related to victims.

I'm also curious as to why some people find this more egregious than someone stealing a PS4 from Jimmy down the road.

Does Jimmy deserve a PS4 less than a cancer kid? I mean, excluding the knowledge that this particular PS4 would have been shared around by a couple of kids. The crime itself is the same.

Does the victim really change the crime? Surely the crime is just as reprehensible no matter who the victim is.

If we are to be fair and just, and treat criminals (depending on the specific crime) all the same no matter their station in life... should that not extend to the victim too?

If the victims station in life affects the reaction to the crime, then should not the criminal's station also affect the reaction to the crime?

17. Post
    Nerin wrote:
    The thought process is likely something about how the Hospital will just get a new one.

It wouldn't have anything to specifically be about the kids.

Not lessening the enormity of what the thieves did. Just pointing out that motivations aren't always directly related to victims.

I'm also curious as to why some people find this more egregious than someone stealing a PS4 from Jimmy down the road.

Does Jimmy deserve a PS4 less than a cancer kid? I mean, excluding the knowledge that this particular PS4 would have been shared around by a couple of kids. The crime itself is the same.

Does the victim really change the crime? Surely the crime is just as reprehensible no matter who the victim is.

If we are to be fair and just, and treat criminals (depending on the specific crime) all the same no matter their station in life... should that not extend to the victim too?

If the victims station in life affects the reaction to the crime, then should not the criminal's station also affect the reaction to the crime?
    I'm sure if Jimmy down the road went to the media about his stolen console, someone would raise cash or donate to him too.

Using dat Tapatalk app

18. Post
    Nerin wrote:

Yes the victim does change the crime. Stealing a PS4 from a children's cancer ward is worse than stealing it from Jimmy down the road because the impact to the victim is greater. These kids use the console to take their mind off the crappy situation chemo.

But the criminal's station does also affect reaction to the crime. I think you will find that a judge would be more lenient to some poor guy stealing food to feed his family than he would be to a rich guy stealing the same food for lolz

19. Post
    CardinalNZ wrote:
    Heartening to see the response though. Seems like even the PA blokes are getting in there via their Child's Play charity.
    Yeah, turns out they donated $10k US

20. Post
    Lots of others getting involved too;
    https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/02/ps...ate-in-droves/