Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Thumbs up

Survival Games

I have finally got into Survival games recently. Rust mainly, which i hadn't played since the first beta... man has it changed. It isn't ideal being a family man these days and the lack of time to dedicate, i still find i can have some fun wipe day and get something up with my mates.

Been watching lots of Conan Exile streams - looks pretty buggy right now, but could be good to have a gunless survival game. Find it strange there isn't a Conan thread considering it's popularity at the moment.

What is your game of choice? why?

Take on Mars looks quite interesting? could be kind of bland though spending all your time on a red rock.
    Edit: Looks really bad
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/24...p_reviews_hash

2. Post
    Are any survival games out of beta yet?

3. Post
    I'm over the genre tbh.The last one I played was H1Z1. And underneath it all they all end up being the same thing with slightly different mechanics and different skins.

4. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Are any survival games out of beta yet?
    Technically no, should they be by this stage in their life cycle? Yes.

This early access means dick these days, Some games are worthy of a pre-alpha stamp however, Star Citizen for example. But Rust and Ark are working games and have been out for a long time.
    If they didn't have early access a publisher would have pushed an official release out the door already.

5. Post
    It sounds like you are keen on online multiplayer survival games, but on the off-chance you can stand to play something offline, I highly recommend Don't Starve (you can play co-op in Don't Starve Together), The Long Dark, and - to a lesser extent - The Flame in the Flood. Rimworld is also supposed to be awesome.

Unlike their online brethren, they are actually

1) complete games (or complete enough in the cases of Rimworld and The Long Dark)
    2) not super buggy
    3) not full of cheaters
    4) not ruled by full-time players that you'll always get stomped by because they have better gear

I find Ark, Rust, Reign of Kings etc super boring, but that's probably because I have few friends to jam them with. If you have a reliable crew, I can see how they'd be fun

An online survival game I had my eye on was The Wild Eight, which has just launched into Early Access, but it sounds like there is some work to be done before it'll be worth it

6. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    I'm over the genre tbh.The last one I played was H1Z1. And underneath it all they all end up being the same thing with slightly different mechanics and different skins.
    Yeah I found this with FPS survival games for sure. Everything is trying to be DayZ. I suppose most succeed in being as buggy and unfinished as that game at least

7. Post
    DayZ has come a very long way you might be suprised.

8. Post
    Subnautica. A+++

Arma 3 dayz, plus the many other mods.

Dayz mod still going strong too.

9. Post
    Matt M wrote:
    It sounds like you are keen on online multiplayer survival games, but on the off-chance you can stand to play something offline, I highly recommend Don't Starve (you can play co-op in Don't Starve Together), The Long Dark, and - to a lesser extent - The Flame in the Flood. Rimworld is also supposed to be awesome.

Unlike their online brethren, they are actually

1) complete games (or complete enough in the cases of Rimworld and The Long Dark)
    2) not super buggy
    3) not full of cheaters
    4) not ruled by full-time players that you'll always get stomped by because they have better gear

I find Ark, Rust, Reign of Kings etc super boring, but that's probably because I have few friends to jam them with. If you have a reliable crew, I can see how they'd be fun

An online survival game I had my eye on was The Wild Eight, which has just launched into Early Access, but it sounds like there is some work to be done before it'll be worth it
    Hell yes, definitely recommend The Long Dark. Also, I quite liked Subnautica. If you want a super hard-out indy survival game, check out Unreal World: http://www.unrealworld.fi

10. Post
    DayZ is a nice game but it's not really suited for a casual gamer IMO. If you could only play a couple of hours at a time you wouldn't really get anywhere.

11. Post
    That is true

12. Post
    bellyfrog wrote:
    DayZ is a nice game but it's not really suited for a casual gamer IMO. If you could only play a couple of hours at a time you wouldn't really get anywhere.
    Which Is why I've been playing Rust battle royale lately, you get the intense confrontations without having to run for 3 hours first... rounds last about 20~ mins. Still only one life though. Not sure I'm keen for the grind of actual Rust/DayZ anymore. I'd play a DayZ BR for sure.

Haven't tried Arma 3 BR yet, another game is coming soon which is a standalone BR game in UE4 which may be interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmHujOJmCSA&t

13. Post
    Conan could be alright if they handle it well, nice base.

14. Post
    I recently finished The Flame in the Flood, sort of like Don't Starve-style survival. Great artwork and soundtrack, a little glitchy in parts.

The Long Dark is also excellent.

15. Post
    Dont Starve Together for me.

I use to really enjoy a WC3 custom map called Wilderness Survival which was a pretty unique gameplay at the time, so a few years later when Dont starve popped up i had a lot of fun with that as it was very similiar to wilderness survival but better. The game is also pretty unforgiving and pretty damn frustrating at time, but its still fun as me and gf can play in bed on the ps4 together.

16. Post
    Checking out don't starve right now

17. Post
    7 days to die can be quite enjoyable.

PvE - build elaborate bases above ground.
    PvP - build underwater and raid the **** out of anyone you find.

18. Post
    +1 for the Long Dark

19. Post
    If you're able to drop the money on it, since you will need to buy the full game and then the expansion, The Division's Survival expansion is a nifty bit of fun. It's got the usual survival gameplay bits, crafting, scavenging, etc. But its rushed. There is about a 2 hour limit before you drop dead, could be 40 minutes if you don't find medicine/pills.

So if you can't sink in hours and hours of play time, you can just do one session at a time. If you die early, try again, or not.

Other than that, I'd second Don't Starve and Rimworld.

20. Post
    7 Days is good, mostly because once you get over the survival challenge you still have endless Minecraft style creativity.

I'd say it's for people who like self-expression through architecture/landscaping but still seek a bit more of an immersive world with survival elements.

21. Post
    SCUM looks pretty good so far, not out yet though. http://store.steampowered.com/app/513710/

22. Post
    Blue Vein CHEESE wrote:
    7 days to die can be quite enjoyable.

PvE - build elaborate bases above ground.
    PvP - build underwater and raid the **** out of anyone you find.
    Game is addictive as hell, I'll play obsessively for a couple months then get bored of it, but always find myself coming back

23. Post
    Nerin wrote:
    If you're able to drop the money on it, since you will need to buy the full game and then the expansion, The Division's Survival expansion is a nifty bit of fun. It's got the usual survival gameplay bits, crafting, scavenging, etc. But its rushed. There is about a 2 hour limit before you drop dead, could be 40 minutes if you don't find medicine/pills.

So if you can't sink in hours and hours of play time, you can just do one session at a time. If you die early, try again, or not.

Other than that, I'd second Don't Starve and Rimworld.
    i heard alot about The Division and i've not played it before. Is it any good?

24. Post
    Ready5678 wrote:
    Game is addictive as hell, I'll play obsessively for a couple months then get bored of it, but always find myself coming back
    After 850 hours I'm pretty burnt out, still i easily got my moneys worth out of it, i hope by the time its finished it has vr support.

Rust +1 so long as it keeps getting updates every other week, its a bonus its not finished yet.

25. Post
    ARK - its just about to come out of Alpha, its huge and there is heaps to do
    7 Days to die- love the underground mining system
    Rust-stopped playing it-was better in Legacy-after they fixed it up it became crap