1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    I believe I downloaded the first one from Games With Gold and the personality of the goblin stopped me before I finished the tutorial.

3. Post
    ChrisB as a forum user is obnoxious, unlikable, and immersion breaking, but he does wield some of the most impressive and well-designed reviews on the site. I just wish he would shut the hell up.

4. Post
    ChrisB: Nice review. Just one question...

What are the levels like compared to the first Styx game?

I ask because I enjoyed those levels, even if they were used more than once.

5. Post
    Gwarden wrote:
    ChrisB as a forum user is obnoxious, unlikable, and immersion breaking, but he does wield some of the most impressive and well-designed reviews on the site. I just wish he would shut the hell up.
    I can see what you did there, but it is a bit on the nose, especially coming from a moderator.

6. Post
    He's a big boy and probably the first to admit he can be obnoxious on the forums.

On topic, I saw on Opencritic that this has a very similar score to Andromeda interestingly enough.

7. Post
    Nerin wrote:
    ChrisB: Nice review. Just one question...

What are the levels like compared to the first Styx game?

I ask because I enjoyed those levels, even if they were used more than once.
    They are about on par. Styx 2 does have a lot more verticality, but it seems to be the one trick they pony up instead of variety (outside of the look of the levels)

MockStar wrote:
    I can see what you did there, but it is a bit on the nose, especially coming from a moderator.
    G is generally one of the least likely to get riled, so if he's commenting like this chances are there's something that needs attention. I sometimes get too carried away, and sometimes I get misinterpreted. In both cases it stems from some less than stellar historic posting of mine. Work in Progress. Still

I do think many of us a guilty of pettiness, rudeness, and occasional hostility to a greater or lesser degree. I have commited to trying to address mine this year (again). Here's hoping some others do as well.

Gwarden wrote:
    He's a big boy and probably the first to admit he can be obnoxious on the forums.

On topic, I saw on Opencritic that this has a very similar score to Andromeda interestingly enough.
    You calling me fat?!? Fair call.

As for the MEA comparrison. I think both suffer from similar issues within their respective genres. There's a lot to like, but some fundamental issues and/or multiple minor irritations. MEA overall is better executed however.

8. Post
    I think it's less excusable for a subsequent game in a series to have the same or magnified flaws as the previous when it is the same team. Bioware Montreal as a new team I think has more leeway to make their own mistakes on ME:A; in the case of Styx being developed by what I assume is the same Cyanide team it's pretty bad to carry over the same level-design flaws as Master of Shadows.

9. Post
    Gwarden wrote:
    I think it's less excusable for a subsequent game in a series to have the same or magnified flaws as the previous when it is the same team. Bioware Montreal as a new team I think has more leeway to make their own mistakes on ME:A; in the case of Styx being developed by what I assume is the same Cyanide team it's pretty bad to carry over the same level-design flaws as Master of Shadows.
    Whereas I would argue that BioWare Montreal is still under the umbrella and anything learned by the previous ME team(s) would be able to be passed on to the new team. I think calling BioWare M "new" is an over simplification. Its not like Montreal exists in isolation.
    The biggest factor is that its the forth Mass Effect game from BioWare. Its more than reasonable to expect that the game would be at least as good as the previous entries if not better.
    Whereas Styx 2 is better than Styx 1. Not a lot better, but they have learned from at least some of there mistakes.

10. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    G is generally one of the least likely to get riled, so if he's commenting like this chances are there's something that needs attention. I sometimes get too carried away, and sometimes I get misinterpreted. In both cases it stems from some less than stellar historic posting of mine. Work in Progress. Still

I do think many of us a guilty of pettiness, rudeness, and occasional hostility to a greater or lesser degree. I have commited to trying to address mine this year (again). Here's hoping some others do as well.
    I'm always a big fan of people committing to Self Improvement. Go you

11. Post
    The first step is admitting you have a problem.

12. Post
    Bt wrote:
    The first step is admitting you have a problem.
    And the internet is FULL of folks who would never even see a problem where one exists

(Just to be clear, that is a general statement. I'm not referring to anyone in particular)

13. Post
    CardinalNZ wrote:
    I believe I downloaded the first one from Games With Gold and the personality of the goblin stopped me before I finished the tutorial.
    I got ever so slightly further than you!!

...maybe...
    (I don't know if that makes me the winner or the loser )

I downloaded the first one on PS+.
    (Can't remember much of the personality, so I may have been playing with the sound off or very low.)

My experience:

Got to a door, opened it, noticed there was a sheer drop, but what looked like a ledge at my feet.

Edged towards the drop...
    ...little further...
    ...bit more...

Dropped to death, turned game off.