Page 7 of 7 First ... 4567

1. Post
    I think Blizzard taking ownership of the PC version is deeper than what it seems... on the outside it looks like they only take care of sales and social features but I honestly think Blizzard is also doing the optimization since Bungie isn't exactly a PC focused development team. And since It's technically Activision Blizzard, they probably created a team of PC guru's to take over the PC version and polish it up before release, and that's why it'll be delayed.

I'm looking forward to this, I loved D1 but I didn't have many PSN friends as all my mates are PC gamers, so D1 was pretty lame for me, Destiny is a game that's 100x more enjoyable with friends.

2. Post
    Skill Up just confirmed no cross-save which is a bummer.... but either way, I can see myself double dipping if the content stream dries early 2018ish on PS4, since the PC community will be on catchup mode either way, it wont be such a hurdle to get up to speed etc.

Would be rad-sauce if GPNZ has enough peeps to maintain an active clan on both PS4 and PC, jump from the lounge to the game desk to the lounge again without losing a beat

To those in the tech-know, with better Netcode and the implementation of more widespread fibre, is it possible for P2P to improve to some degree, or is it really not a good option? If I'm being honest, Destiny provides a great PvP experience (for me) 90% of the time I'm playing: I do notice a lot of x0mexicanmurder0x and XSn4perBrazilX in the games when I'm playing vampire hours post work, that's when it all goes to shite.

This connection focus (what Luke and Mark were talking about at the event for connectivity) hopefully helps, middle/south america has amazing food, culture and people...not so keen on their internet and playing Crucible with them however

3. Post
    IST wrote:
    Skill Up just confirmed no cross-save which is a bummer.... but either way, I can see myself double dipping if the content stream dries early 2018ish on PS4, since the PC community will be on catchup mode either way, it wont be such a hurdle to get up to speed etc.

Would be rad-sauce if GPNZ has enough peeps to maintain an active clan on both PS4 and PC, jump from the lounge to the game desk to the lounge again without losing a beat

To those in the tech-know, with better Netcode and the implementation of more widespread fibre, is it possible for P2P to improve to some degree, or is it really not a good option? If I'm being honest, Destiny provides a great PvP experience (for me) 90% of the time I'm playing: I do notice a lot of x0mexicanmurder0x and XSn4perBrazilX in the games when I'm playing vampire hours post work, that's when it all goes to shite.

This connection focus (what Luke and Mark were talking about at the event for connectivity) hopefully helps, middle/south america has amazing food, culture and people...not so keen on their internet and playing Crucible with them however
    Damn, no toon transfer between platforms sucks the big one! I will most likely double dip also then, i cant wait more than a couple of weeks after console release, and im guessing its going to be a few months.

4. Post
    This is not a troll post, but I am struggling to see what is so exciting about this game?

Can someone explain it to me please? I assume I am missing something, but as I have nfi about the first game all the D2 stuff doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.
    How is this not just The Division SciFi edition?

5. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    This is not a troll post, but I am struggling to see what is so exciting about this game?

Can someone explain it to me please? I assume I am missing something, but as I have nfi about the first game all the D2 stuff doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.
    D1 was a fun co-op/player-vs-player shooter and this looks like it will be too

The Division is the same sort of game, but third person, and to me just wasn't as fun (didn't find the modern setting very compelling, and the gameplay not as fun)

6. Post
    It's similiar but I'm guessing destiny's group pve mechanics are better (based on what I saw in the division on launch though, no idea if its improved now) and also Destiny has a far better world which pulls you in much more

7. Post
    ChrisB wrote:

Destiny is kind of special in that, it overcame adversity (vanilla was all sorts of disjointed, but still fun as hell) and then evolved into a wholly different science fiction MMOFPS beast and has managed to somehow create some of the best social moments I've had in gaming (those chahooo!! moments where you deafen everyone in your party chat).

The original has great lore that was daftly hidden aware as a Grimoire collectible cards on Bungie's website (?), obtuse storytelling that didn't have time to explain why it didn't have time to explain and the best FPS gunplay for any console shooter I can think of, bar-none. It's in the little things like doing the actual Elaine thumbs dance after winning a PvP match, sitting in a bubble with the bros mid-Raid while you wait for the next tactical shift to happen or getting stomped by a Nightfall boss (uber hardmode strike mission) since the modifiers are horrible that week, then finally downing them and then obviously breaking out into all sorts of dancing (emotes are big in Destiny).

This explanation of Destiny 1 probably hasn't sold you on it but personally, what's been revealed of Destiny 2 seems to address a lot of the issues of the first one, and looks to continue the fashion of fun times with good people in a very cool science fiction world with a much deeper story seemingly being on offer this time.

I played The Division for 100 hours or so and enjoyed it quite a bit....but it never grabbed me. The odd cool thing happened (Bullet King was a laugh and The Dark Zone was great at times), but the bullet sponge nature of human enemies always bugged me along with the setting being a bit depressing for lack of a better word. Destiny is on a whole different level IMO, it nails many things but it's how it feels (gunplay/movement/sense of weight and platforming) that sets it apart.

Destiny 2 does look like Destiny 1, but better: should join us for a blat mate.

8. Post
    I love the idea of the lore.

So there are missions? And just how story focused is it?
    Can you solo if you want?

I could Google this shit I know, but I am hoping ya'll offer a little more nuance. I think I want this game, but I seldom MP, and Co-op is something I tend to enjoy with smaller groups (2-4).

9. Post
    ChrisB wrote:

I could Google this shit I know, but I am hoping ya'll offer a little more nuance. I think I want this game, but I seldom MP, and Co-op is something I tend to enjoy with smaller groups (2-4).
    Since the latest expansion pack, there are a heap of story based missions that you can quite easily solo. Destiny is also fantastic for small groups, you can do everything minus raid content with 3 players. The PvP gives some rewards from time to time but isn't really essential either unless you want to raid.
    I think the biggest things to keep in mind about Destiny also is that 'vanilla' Destiny !== current Destiny. Most of the criticisms regarding vanilla destiny have been addressed in the latest xpack which fleshes things out quite a bit.

My biggest concern with Destiny 2 is they rush it to the gate like they did with Destiny 1. If I were you I'd just buy Destiny 1 and wait for reviews on 2 to see if it's more like 'Destiny vanilla' or 'Destiny: The Collection'.

10. Post
    ChrisB wrote:

Yep there's a set of missions to play through, you can go solo or co-op. The story in vanilla destiny was pretty shallow but with each expansion they attempted to flesh it all out a little more.

'strikes' are longer missions, involving a large boss that you are usually chasing through a level as a 3 man team. You can go with a group or get match-made with randoms

'raids' are the 6 man mega-missions that require communication, teamwork, puzzles, mysteries to unravel, unique mechanics to solve and in turn drop the best loot. Each raid is like the conclusion to the story arc that it relates to.

I've accomplished a lot of things in my life but not much can compare with going into a raid blind with 5 of your regular fireteam and figuring it all out for yourselves. It's frustrating, it involves many wipes and late nights, zombie like states in the office the next day, but dat feel when you complete it? 100.

The drop in / out of friends games and co-op is hugely satisfying as is the gunplay which feels right at home on a controller. It's always been a tad generous to the console user with gentle assists meaning to get through the PVE stuff you didn't need to be a nootropic fiend 15 year old twitch shoot expert so this appeals to a bunch of us old farts that like to get down to some raiding once the kids are in bed.

Another thing is the loot. Sure the drop rates have not always been plentiful but each weapon has a unique name and bi-line, perks and almost personality. The freedom to customize from your loadout, to the look of your guardian in gear and colour palette.

It's a vey unique experience for console players and one that I reckon WoW / Diablo players (not a lot of experience in either of those 2, personally) might be able to relate to with the cozy gunplay of Halo.

It's not perfect, never has been, never will be, but hour for hour overall it's a nice juicy experience and for me very little has ever come close to that first Vault of Glass clear, your first Gjallarhorn drop in the wild, helping new players through content or just the sweet explosion of hive heads and chain reaction of their fellow critters as the perk 'firefly' proc's them into sweet oblivion.
    Last edited by Crow#Zero; 22nd May 2017 at 6:00 pm.

11. Post
    Thanks guys! You've done more to sell me on this than all of the promotional fanfare that Bungie has released.

I think I will be adding this to my wishlist.

Hugely appreciate that you took the time to explain it to me!

12. Post
    You're welcome. And that's an interesting comment about Bungie : thinking about it, they have told players pretty much what d2 changes to d1 but they're also assuming pc players are familiar with destiny. I think they'd do well somewhere along the build up to introduce new players to clear a bunch of this stuff up.
    Last edited by Crow#Zero; 22nd May 2017 at 7:42 pm.

13. Post
    Mr Brown in the mix, good times

Lot's of excellent sherpas in GPNZ, amazing band of guardians that are always ready to lend a hand, get a team together or just faff about and dance

14. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Thanks guys! You've done more to sell me on this than all of the promotional fanfare that Bungie has released.

I think I will be adding this to my wishlist.

Hugely appreciate that you took the time to explain it to me!
    Do keep in mind that they purposely gated off completed content from the finished Destiny 1 game to sell back to you as DLC. Yes, that first season pass was on-disc DLC. Guess what? They've already announced a season pass for Destiny 2!

Fanboys will purposely gloss over facts like this as part of their sales pitches.

15. Post
    I didn't even think of it in regards to the context of his question. But yes probably very valid points for anyone considering purshase, thanks for adding. You will most likely be left behind after the first dlc. Vanilla destiny is barely playable anymore given most of the daily and weekly events including 3 raids are paid activities.

16. Post
    So is the PvP just a side thing and you take gear from the raids into it or....?

17. Post
    CODChimera wrote:
    So is the PvP just a side thing and you take gear from the raids into it or....?
    It's a pretty major part of the game, and you can use any gear you find in Raids/Strikes/Anything in it and vice versa: but gear is standardised in terms of damage with perks remaining on gear so that's where the loot grind and min/max love comes in with tactical build design becoming the obsession.

There's a monthly week-long event (Iron Banner) and weekend tourneys (Trials of Osiris) that yield special loot and have lore/special rewards associated with partaking in them. Trials is pretty massive on Twitch and is definitely one of the more popular parts of the Destiny experience.

Myself, I reckon I would play Crucible double the time I spend in PVE overall, it's super fun and easy to jump in and out of if you have 30 minutes to kill on a couple matches (which even at this stage in D1's life, pop at all times of the day/night usually with local hosting).

The PVP is right up there with my favourite shooter PVP games, Titanfall 2, Destiny and TLoU Remastered Factions are my favourites of the gen so far.