Results 1 to 16 of 16

  1. Post

    Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

    Listen to podcast...

  2. Post
    #2
    Thumbs up for doing this.

    Queued for tonight.

  3. Post
    #3
    Consoles have ruined RPG's xD

    minute 56 where Matt tries to defend memory triggers is pure gold. just like I saw it in my vision.

    whopping 1.07 hours of nitpicking

    The good things in the game discussion ended around 1.16

    The good things in the game part was full of nitpicking

    Admittedly, I've skimmed when my eyes started glazing, but no regrets listening. I feel like you guys are on to something here.
    While the entertainment value draws much from picking at the game lows, some of the highs I've experienced in my first 20 hours are these.

    -The crew interactions and general on board atmosphere is the best in any ME game, very Firefly/Farscape/The Expanse, and a huge part of what makes this game so much fun. I'm always excited to go back on Hyperion after clearing a planet.
    -The removal of paragon/renegade is a positive step towards being honest about what this game is all about
    Paragon/renegade is an abomination in terms of quality RPG dialogue and nuanced character development
    The fact people miss it blows my mind, it's literally black and white.
    -The game never tries to sell itself as the original ME, by accepting that, a lot of negatives feel non applicable
    -The story and characters have charm (a lot of it), despite being B grade TV series style. This may change later, but so far it serves breadcrumb purpose nicely.
    -male Ryder is a mellow dude with a whole new approach, and it feels refreshing
    -It's a great fun game to kill time and do fun things with no commitment or heavy involvement (emotional or intellectual)
    -The balance between exploration, combat and story/dialogue is perfect. Coming from someone who couldn't stomach boring DA starting area. Doesn't matter it gets "better" later, it's not worth it even "rushing" through.
    -The wider planet exploration and crafting are purely for those who enjoy doing such things, and as such, it's a bonus game doesn't force you to do it (like Witcher 3 MMO fetch quests). Just by following the main quest, you get cool loot to keep you going, like Witcher 2 for example.
    As a matter of fact, I can only think of Baldur's Gate 1 and Witcher 1, where every upgrade was truly rare and meaningful.
    -Once you get a feeling of what points of interest on map are worth exploring, and which ones aren't, decision on what to do or where to go comes easily.
    -It deserves all the flak it get can for the silly bugs and lack of mechanical features, but it also brings comical value in
    If they can patch it up to today's standards, easily goes right behind ME1 on the ladder (again, this may change if the main story turns to shit, like original ME3 :P)

    Tips for the next run, limit 60 minutes and avoid repeating points made in reviews, structure may not be necessary if the flow keeps you going (I personally prefer derailing structure for entertainment points), and tags would help for skimmers like me.

  4. Post
    #4
    Thanks for the feedback!

    This is just two guys opinion, and obviously yours differs. For me this game is like an island of wonder surrounded by a sea of irritations, and some really uneven terrain.

    I see where you're coming from, but I also see a lot of making excuses for things not being as good as they should be/could be.

    As for the paragon/renegade system. I never liked its execution, but I like the idea that conversation impacts character progression. Which is what was good about that system. Sure it was a direct rip of KoTORs Dark/Light side choices, but it affected the protag directly and by extension the game world. The removal in Andromeda was a missed opportunity, because all they did was remove it. The new system doesn't impact Ryder's arc, the game world, or much else. Had the new system taken in to consideration your choices over time and subtlety evolved Ryder as a result it would be a winner imo. They did not. So it feels immediately stripped back. The fact that the writing is so childish so often certainly doesn't help, and the "sexual/romantic/flirtatious" interactions are easily the weakest in the franchise.

    I will add that I pretty much disagree with 80% of your list. Just real quick because its late, and I think I have more than covered my why's in 2 other formats now.

    - Crew interactions - shallow, and bland. With occasional excellence, bu wholesale lacks any emotional depth and seldom rings true. A lot of it feels really wooden.
    - Renegade/Paragon removal in concept is a great move. The end result though was even more limiting due to no character development stemming from dialogue, and dialogue conclusions often being the same regardless of responses given.
    - I don't understand this. We even stated that this was trying to be something new, but never managed to achieve that. It feels like ME4 in many ways. (I might be misunderstanding your point though)
    - At times there is charm, but in a AAA game dealing with these topics, the cheese and lack of quality constantly distract and detract from the story. Although it does improve on the back 9
    - Cannot comment I FemRydered, but she does get more interesting in the late game
    - I don't require "heavy" involvement, but the lack of emotional depth, and intellect is a problem throughout. In a game telling this story, over that many hours, its not good enough often enough.
    - Exploration vs Combat Vs Story balance. Inconsistent at best, mainly because exploration is a chore and lacks reward. Its also repetitive. As a result it feels padded and drawn out. Which considering the themes is an issue. The dialogue/combat balance though feels right.
    - The issue isn't the inclusion of wider planet exploration. The issue is the execution. The content feels very tacked on. As a result it feels artificial.
    - The fact you expressly mention that some "are not worth exploring" is very telling.
    - Technical issues were of no concern to me outside the very very start of the game. They had no impact on my enjoyment at all.

    In the end I think the poddy reflects at least my feelings on the game. It constantly irritated me. The good is there. And there is a lot of it, but its never "just good". So the representation of nitpicking is fair because I could never get away from the smaller constant problems, and the bigger more serious ones at the core of many parts of the game.

    At for the poddy in general. I agree that it was a marathon, and we did repeat and ramble a bit (well I did).
    Great feedback and I for one will aim to improve on the next!
    Last edited by ChrisB; 29th March 2017 at 1:24 am. Reason: editing reasons

  5. Post
    #5
    bionic.man wrote:
    minute 56 where Matt tries to defend memory triggers is pure gold. just like I saw it in my vision.
    Yeah, I have a face for radio and a voice for print

    bionic.man wrote:
    -The crew interactions and general on board atmosphere is the best in any ME game, very Firefly/Farscape/The Expanse, and a huge part of what makes this game so much fun. I'm always excited to go back on Hyperion after clearing a planet.
    bionic.man wrote:
    -The game never tries to sell itself as the original ME, by accepting that, a lot of negatives feel non applicable
    -The story and characters have charm (a lot of it), despite being B grade TV series style. This may change later, but so far it serves breadcrumb purpose nicely.
    -male Ryder is a mellow dude with a whole new approach, and it feels refreshing
    -It's a great fun game to kill time and do fun things with no commitment or heavy involvement (emotional or intellectual)
    -The balance between exploration, combat and story/dialogue is perfect. Coming from someone who couldn't stomach boring DA starting area. Doesn't matter it gets "better" later, it's not worth it even "rushing" through.
    etc


    bionic.man wrote:
    Tips for the next run, limit 60 minutes and avoid repeating points made in reviews, structure may not be necessary if the flow keeps you going (I personally prefer derailing structure for entertainment points), and tags would help for skimmers like me.


    Not sure there will be a next run, but yeah, we're pretty noob at this. All good this is good feedback!

  6. Post
    #6
    About the beginning of the game: One thing that I would have liked to have seen as the start of the game is actually playing the "getting ready to leave the milky way". Have some exposition at the start, build up the anticipation of going into cryo to wake up centuries later in another galaxy, introduce the family dynamic before leaving to give those relationships some depth and something for the player to actually feel emotion about when the brown stuff hits the twirly thing.

  7. Post
    #7
    Tips for the next run, limit 60 minutes and avoid repeating points made in reviews,
    I disagree, podcasts should be treated as stand-alone entities not requiring "additional reading".

  8. Post
    #8
    Matt M wrote:
    but yeah, we're pretty noob at this
    Can't keep pulling this card Matt. You're a goddamn pro now.

  9. Post
    #9
    Can I? Noob af over here!

  10. Post
    #10
    exis wrote:
    Can't keep pulling this card Matt. You're a goddamn pro now.
    You're right. Replace "noob" with "bad"

  11. Post
    #11
    the major thing i missed and the main problem i have with the game at the moment is what i found on the wiki

    "In contrast to the original trilogy, which was spearheaded by the Edmonton team, Mass Effect: Andromeda was handled by a new team out of Montreal.[46] This was done in order to allow the Edmonton team to begin working on a new intellectual property"

  12. Post
    #12
    Is this safe to listen to if I haven't played ME3?
    Also, does this mean the gameplanet show is coming back?

  13. Post
    #13
    From memory there are no specifics about any ME game in there. So you're safe.

    As for the podcast. There is a desire, but its still too early to say anything.

  14. Post
    #14
    This hit me straight in the heart

  15. Post
    #15
    JC wrote:
    This hit me straight in the heart
    Where was your shout-out? How rude of us! Phone-in segment next time? You could really phone it in

  16. Post
    #16
    Matt M wrote:
    Where was your shout-out? How rude of us! Phone-in segment next time? You could really phone it in
    I phoned it in for like 50 straight episodes, don't see why not