1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Dont forget. Open beta this weekend

3. Post
    Ooooh early review.

4. Post
    Sebly wrote:
    Ooooh early review.
    Reviews were up on youtube this morning.

5. Post
    psyklone55 wrote:
    Dont forget. Open beta this weekend
    Cheers, signed up.

Really curious about this game.

6. Post
    Previous games started with **** all factions too. DLC will come and come fast probably.

7. Post
    Great read! thank you! looking forward to the beta(if i get in?) have already pre ordered so super looking forward to playing as Eldar, they look really well done this time round. The game overall looks more easier to play too no more micro managing! just brutal blob combat lol!

- - - Updated - - -

Bloodline wrote:
    Previous games started with **** all factions too. DLC will come and come fast probably.
    I hope we see Tau, that would be great.

8. Post
    Tau were one of my favourites in the original but will they get around to adding them? There's a ton of races to get through...

9. Post
    Tau, Tyranid and of course.. Necron would be my 1st choices

10. Post
    For those in the open beta: open beta opens 21 APR 10 AM PST.

... so 4 am in the morning for us.
    Drives like an Asian till he gets behind the wheel of a holden

11. Post
    Sisters of battle and dark Eldar would be good

12. Post
    I tried the beta and as a player who owns all the previous Dow games and dlc's I was very disappointed.

Multiplayer seems to be select all units and attack move here, rinse and repeat. This game was supposed to be a mix of the first two games and it is not it is a very shallow game. If this game was not a Dow game maybe it would be ok but it is supposed to be Dow 3 and so ends up being a turd.

To be fair it is well optimized that is really the only good thing I have to say about it and I will not be buying but I will watch the cinematic's on YouTube.

13. Post
    that's kinda the impression I got from seeing gameplay footage on youtube, it doesn't really bring much new gameplay wise. It is a bit of a graphical update and adds a few bigger units. For my taste total war warhammer has a more epic feel to it

14. Post
    griefmaker wrote:
    I tried the beta and as a player who owns all the previous Dow games and dlc's I was very disappointed.

Multiplayer seems to be select all units and attack move here, rinse and repeat. This game was supposed to be a mix of the first two games and it is not it is a very shallow game. If this game was not a Dow game maybe it would be ok but it is supposed to be Dow 3 and so ends up being a turd.

To be fair it is well optimized that is really the only good thing I have to say about it and I will not be buying but I will watch the cinematic's on YouTube.
    Depends.

DOW 1 was very macro-intense.

DOW 2 was very micro-intense.

DOW 3 is halfway. You can do all the macro you want, yet when SHTF, unless you micro you will suffer.

Case in point, did a 2v2 last night. My eldar opponent thought it was a good idea to mass ranged infantry with his hero as melee... until I podded down 1 dreadnought and 1 ASM marine. While those got in the fight, 4 ASM + Angelos + Terminator jumped straight in. He brought his banshees out, but I had heavy bolters + lascannon waiting for him. But if his teammate podded down dreadnought it would have broken my back.

Eldars farseers have a lot of support ability that can be game-changing as well IIRC. I lost a few squads to dilation fields.

So I see it as a balance between the two.

15. Post
    Dynamic cover-nope
    Retreat-nope
    Veterancy for normal units-nope.
    What made this different than other rts games has been culled.
    Playing SM feels more like playing as the IG in DOW3.

16. Post
    What do you mean by dynamic cover? Like DoW1/2? That's gone?

edit: I can't actually remember if your guys automatically went into cover in DoW1...

17. Post
    CODChimera wrote:
    What do you mean by dynamic cover? Like DoW1/2? That's gone?

edit: I can't actually remember if your guys automatically went into cover in DoW1...
    In Dow 1 you would get cover in a crater that was either part of the terrain when you started the map or was created by explosions etc. Dow 2 has cover when you interact with most of the terrain just like company of heroes. Dow 3 uses shield bubbles.

18. Post
    The cover system was great, why would they change that?

19. Post
    Esports!

20. Post
    griefmaker wrote:
    Dynamic cover-nope
    Retreat-nope
    Veterancy for normal units-nope.
    What made this different than other rts games has been culled.
    Playing SM feels more like playing as the IG in DOW3.
    Agreed. Was not overly impressed with the beta. Reinstalled Retribution and have been having more fun with that.

Will wait for DLC/Expansion announcements or a heavily discounted price.

21. Post
    I'm one of those people who only play RTS for the single-player campaigns as I don't enjoy the genre competitively, will probably wait until it's heavily discounted, or see what an expansion brings.

Also, weird about the cover system. I had forgotten that DoW had the same system as CoH. That was a good system that made you think quite tactically, RIP

22. Post
    played 4 hours,

Pros : graphics , visual effects are good and quite pretty. The huge number of units on screen and still running 60 plus FPS on my much older rig is a credit to a decently optimized work by the Devs. Pre level choices of abilities and Heroes / Special units is a good idea with a good nod towards player playstyle.( balancing issues aside )

Cons : Gameplay depth and individual RPG lite elements removed take away from what i liked from DOW2. You had to preserve your units as veterancy etc helped a lot. This game is more RTS and so you can throw away most of your units except the Heroes. Interface is not as polished you can exepct, for example the unit badges on the bottom screen do not stand as they should . Interface is kinda clunky. Change in Cover mechanics into a simpler non dynamic implementation and height advantages do not seem to an improvement.

all in all i am gonna give this a B- and would recommend ppl waiting until it is on a special unless you are heavy into MP.

23. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    Tau, Tyranid and of course.. Necron would be my 1st choices
    Spoiler:

24. Post
    Kinda meh started the first campaign mission on hard and then couldn't finish the mission as the pathing on the dreadnought is broken as shit.