1. Post

Old school FF fan.

So im a bit old school and started with Dragon Quest on the famicom, and also the final fantasy series. Last game i played was 7 on psx. but since then it lost what i was looking for which was turn based old school battles, etc.. have any of the recent series reverted back to the more old school approach?

Cheers

2. Post
    FF8, FF9, FF10, FF13 all have turn-based combat.

3. Post
    but they have a fairly complicated real time element to them?

4. Post
    They tend to use the ATB system which I think is far more engaging than the traditional turn-based system.

5. Post
    Rii wrote:
    They tend to use the ATB system which I think is far more engaging than the traditional turn-based system.
    What would you say is the pick of the bunch then?

6. Post
    My pick is FF9. I may be bias but the 'synthesize' feature that lets you fuse duplicates of certain blades together so you can use them in battle was brilliant. That and I didn't like the gimmicky nature of FF8's 'limit breaks' (not sure what they were called exactly). FFX a close second because it tends to be fluff-free but with the added feature of being able to swap team members out on the fly.

7. Post
    8 is great, 9 is awesome as, and 10 & 10-2 are solid (10 being the better of the two). 10-2 you could say has one of the best battle systems in a long time.

8. Post
    OK sounds like 8 or 9 is the way to go... does 15 use turn based?

9. Post
    God damn, what I wouldn't give for an HD release of FF9. Just a texture upgrade so it can run at 1080/60FPS.

FFXV is RTB (real time battle) but you can enable a feature that auto-stops the battle so you can queue up/gauge the enemy). It's fun but nowhere near as strategic as previous titles.

10. Post
    Rii wrote:
    God damn, what I wouldn't give for an HD release of FF9. Just a texture upgrade so it can run at 1080/60FPS.

FFXV is RTB (real time battle) but you can enable a feature that auto-stops the battle so you can queue up/gauge the enemy). It's fun but nowhere near as strategic as previous titles.
    Ok thanks.. wish there were some old school versions remakes would be nice

11. Post
    There's an HD release on the PS4 of FF10/FF10-2 (I grabbed it a few months back). Super crisp, smooth with HD textures.

There's also remakes of FF3/FF4 on the Nintendo DS. Unforgiving tho :/

12. Post
    Cheers for the heads up

13. Post
    Also FFVII on PS4 is great. Platinum that shit!

14. Post
    FFX is the one you want if you want a great turn based battle system. FFX-2's system was arguably better still, but the game itself wasn't as good.

FF7's battle system was also very good. FF8's was deeply flawed but the Junctioning system was pretty cool. Junction death to status attack! FF9's system was solid but lacks the flexibility of the other games systems and the battles were often painfully slow.

15. Post
    Xev wrote:
    FFX is the one you want if you want a great turn based battle system. FFX-2's system was arguably better still, but the game itself wasn't as good.

FF7's battle system was also very good. FF8's was deeply flawed but the Junctioning system was pretty cool. Junction death to status attack! FF9's system was solid but lacks the flexibility of the other games systems and the battles were often painfully slow.
    to be fair FF9 was a homage to everything before it, rumored to also have be originally just a side game within the FF series.

FF9 is one of my fav's in the series it had so much charm. man what i would give for it to get the same treatment as even just the PS4 "PC" release of FF7.

TBH i wish they would do that with all of them, make them run on PS4 give them trophies and rake in the dough SE! (maybe)

16. Post
    Yep only FF8 & 9 needed. Jusy picked up FF9 Non Plat today

17. Post
    jords wrote:
    Yep only FF8 & 9 needed. Jusy picked up FF9 Non Plat today
    still got my original PSX disc;s for 7/8/9 and 6

18. Post
    Has anybody played FF 7 and above on PC?

I want to relive some old memories, but had always played it on PS2, and was hoping someone would say playing on PC would not disappoint - what is controlling like on keyboard?

19. Post
    Heard that VII is great in pc and VIII and IX not so much. No PS4?

Drakarth wrote:
    still got my original PSX disc;s for 7/8/9 and 6
    Got platinum and black versions of all. 👍

20. Post
    WakeForest wrote:
    Has anybody played FF 7 and above on PC?

I want to relive some old memories, but had always played it on PS2, and was hoping someone would say playing on PC would not disappoint - what is controlling like on keyboard?
    no idea what its like on PC sorry, only thing i can say is that the PC port of the game is what got released on PS4.

21. Post
    FFVII is all good on PC. I have heard some issues with SquEnixs DRM though.