Page 1 of 7 1234 ... Last

1. Post
    hey guys,
    i just got myself a dodge challenger (black) i dunno the year cus it doesnt say in rego thing cus it has none

when i turn the key (after i pumped the gas twice) it makes the usual noise a car makes but it doesnt fire up

could it be it needs a new battery? or could the spark plugs be burned out?
    ill check the oil and everything now
    everything looks fine but its just not sparking up
    water in the gas tank?

damn it will be a good buy @ $600 if i get it going
    82,000k on the clock

cheers

2. Post
    Hahhaa you're the man, you got yourself a true classic.

Where do you live, I HAVE to see it. I'll come over and help you work on your car and stuff.

I know a bit about starting oldschool V8s, as they can be quite hard to start depending on how they're set up.

Your challenger may be having trouble starting due to any of the following criteria:

1. it may have a killswitch that disables ignition, my car does, so check that out.
    2. check your battery's charge, give it a charge if you need to. Check your plugs and leads and distributor points. They should all be relatively clean.
    3. check to see that you haven't flooded the carby/intake manifold.
    4. find out whether the carby has a choke, autochoke, or no choke (like mine).
    5. Give the gas pedal one or two good pumps, turn the key so it starts kicking over, and keep your foot only lightly resting on the throttle pedal so it's slightly open. If your engine fires once or twice but won't start up, it eventually will. Just be sure to give it a bit more throttle when you hear firing happening.
    It may be way easier to start if you choke the carby, if you don't have a choke, then this can be done by removing the air filter from the top and getting someone to cup their hands over the top of the carb, completely covering it. This makes the cylinders get saturated in petroleum gases... I've found this can make my car start easier. (I've since fixed starting problems on my own car and it starts without any of that shit now.)

Finally, if nothing works and it just has heaps of trouble firing up, then do this: Read this very carefully as you don't want to turn it the wrong way. Find a hose going from your distributor to your carburettor, this is the vacuum advance. Pull it off your carburettor, remove the top of your distributor housing so you can see inside. Suck on the vacuum advance hose as hard as you can and observe inside the distributor which way the points are being turned. Whatever way they'll go (clockwise on my car) is the direction for advancing the spark. Loosen the bolts/nuts holding your distributor in place, and gently turn it in the opposite direction to advance. Do this in about 5 to 10 degree increments (just judge it.)

If you retard the timing enough, the engine will have a much easier time firing up... then you can re-advance the dizzy while the engine is running, listening carefully until you hear the engine idling really nicely and perfectly. Caution: Advancing your spark too much can cause detonation (mainly when you're revving the shit out of the motor though). I've managed to get the perfect timing for my dizzy just by doing it by ear. I listen for how evenly the exhaust pulses are coming out. Just be aware also, that if it's advanced far enough it'll remain difficult to start. A more powerful battery with more charge should overcome this problem.

Oh, also, you may have quite high compression in your engine due to the heads and pistons etc, my car does (somewhere between 9.5 and 10.5:1 compression ratio) and that contributes largely to an engine being hard to start, usually because factory starter motors don't always have enough torque the spin the engine over fast enough.

3. Post
    It will help in diagnosing the problem if you described whether the engine it turning over very slowly, like "vvvoom..... vvooom" or whether it turns over fast. Whether it sparks at ALL on occasion, or not at all.

4. Post
    Originally posted by *velocity
    feck it would be sweet if it was only a problem with the plugs or somthing /me hopes..
    are dodge challengers petrol guzlers?
    i dont have a foot for speed..
    By the way, if you bought the Challenger for 600 bucks, it's not likely to be an R/T or a T/A, both of which are special high performance models.

I dunno what size engine would be in the standard one, but the smallest of the engine options in the challengers is a 340 cubic inch (which is like 5.5 or 5.6 litres). Then there's a 383, and some of the special ones even had the 440 Magnum big block.

Whichever one it is, of course it's going to guzzle gas. However when you put your foot down, the ensuing excitement is well worth owning such a petrol hungry car, as is the capability to easily fix it up and mod it to be way faster than everything else.

5. Post
    Originally posted by Mettler
    Hahhaa you're the man, you got yourself a true classic.

Where do you live, I HAVE to see it. I'll come over and help you work on your car and stuff.

I know a bit about starting oldschool V8s, as they can be quite hard to start depending on how they're set up.

Your challenger may be having trouble starting due to any of the following criteria:

1. it may have a killswitch that disables ignition, my car does, so check that out.
    2. check your battery's charge, give it a charge if you need to. Check your plugs and leads and distributor points. They should all be relatively clean.
    3. check to see that you haven't flooded the carby/intake manifold.
    4. find out whether the carby has a choke, autochoke, or no choke (like mine).
    5. Give the gas pedal one or two good pumps, turn the key so it starts kicking over, and keep your foot only lightly resting on the throttle pedal so it's slightly open. If your engine fires once or twice but won't start up, it eventually will. Just be sure to give it a bit more throttle when you hear firing happening.
    It may be way easier to start if you choke the carby, if you don't have a choke, then this can be done by removing the air filter from the top and getting someone to cup their hands over the top of the carb, completely covering it. This makes the cylinders get saturated in petroleum gases... I've found this can make my car start easier. (I've since fixed starting problems on my own car and it starts without any of that shit now.)

Finally, if nothing works and it just has heaps of trouble firing up, then do this: Read this very carefully as you don't want to turn it the wrong way. Find a hose going from your distributor to your carburettor, this is the vacuum advance. Pull it off your carburettor, remove the top of your distributor housing so you can see inside. Suck on the vacuum advance hose as hard as you can and observe inside the distributor which way the points are being turned. Whatever way they'll go (clockwise on my car) is the direction for advancing the spark. Loosen the bolts/nuts holding your distributor in place, and gently turn it in the opposite direction to advance. Do this in about 5 to 10 degree increments (just judge it.)

If you retard the timing enough, the engine will have a much easier time firing up... then you can re-advance the dizzy while the engine is running, listening carefully until you hear the engine idling really nicely and perfectly. Caution: Advancing your spark too much can cause detonation (mainly when you're revving the shit out of the motor though). I've managed to get the perfect timing for my dizzy just by doing it by ear. I listen for how evenly the exhaust pulses are coming out. Just be aware also, that if it's advanced far enough it'll remain difficult to start. A more powerful battery with more charge should overcome this problem.

Oh, also, you may have quite high compression in your engine due to the heads and pistons etc, my car does (somewhere between 9.5 and 10.5:1 compression ratio) and that contributes largely to an engine being hard to start, usually because factory starter motors don't always have enough torque the spin the engine over fast enough.

geez thanks man
    i checked the oil and it may need a little top up
    im not gonna f*ck with the timing because i no nothing about it yet
    where is the "kill switch" found?
    the owner new nothing about cars
    he said when his father died he just left it in the garage so thats why it has no rust cept a little bit around the left rear indicator for there is no garage door

it was a rather quick buy accually, everyday when i goto school i pass it and after about a week is seeing it everyday knowing it hasnt been moved at all i knocked on the door and asked him is he would sell it
    i offered him $500 and he said $600 and i took it straight away
    went back home got the money then toed it back to my place ^_^ second car an american muscle oldschool V8 car yay im ont gonna go hard in it but when im older id like to fully restore it

anyways it does have a choke im gonna go give it another try
    i might go and check the battery and tommorow just buy a whole new one
    the hood hasnt been poped for ages i can tell because there is dust on the cam belt lol
    its still got the original tyres i think the ones with writting on etc

i did what u said "pump the gas and turn the key" and its trying to fire up
    its kicikng fast then nearly fires up then the kick slows its like "vv..vv..vv..vv. vvvvroovv...vroo........ vroo....." u no what i mean? in the verge of starting but only just missing then dies out

there shouldnt be water in the gas tank if it was in a garage aye?
    oh well ill give it 5mins then ill go try everything again

thanks mettler ill give u a buz if i get it started!
    btw im in Mount Roskill

cheers

6. Post
    Look, if you want, I can come over and help you get it going. I'll PM you my details and you can gimme a call.

My name's Shaun, my number is 267-4366

You should gimme a call this evening and we'll arrange for me to pop over and show you a few things about your car. Don't worry, I'm quite safe and I'm quite pleased that someone else on these forums has also got big V8 muscle car. I share your enthusiasm and I'd like to be the one to help you get your car sorted.

We will be able to start it, as when I got my V8 I also had difficulty starting it, but I've since learnt heaps about them.

If you ring and the phone's engaged, try again a short time later. I've got a bunch of chicks calling me hardout and I'm trying to get rid of them for the day.

If you can't get through, jump on ICQ or MSN, ICQ: 74795241 and MSN: unharmonix@hotmail.com

7. Post
    /me looks around suspiciously

/me whispers quietly to velocity "don't let him inside"

/me looks around then runs

8. Post
    Adzest... I'm clearly not psycho and untrustworthy. I mean, if I wanted to kill people from this forum then I'd figure out a way to get everyone to be in the same place at the same time.

9. Post
    I know I'm just having fun...

You rapist... :P

10. Post
    that would be sweet but i think the oldies wouldnt be too keen

woohoo! man im lucky i got this car i wont be driving alone untill i got my restriked which is soon untill then i drive with my brother in the passenger everwhere in my laser
    it was just for my apprentiseship u know to try and fix it but ive checked it out
    everything is fine man i'll feel weird when / if it gets going ill do some drag racing up and down the colder sack rofl~
    have to go get some gas for it its just above empty but i got a 5L gas bottle so that should get me to the closest w.o.f place
    and btw as i keep trying to start it its getting a bit further i think next time or so it will start going
    maybe it just has a dead engine i let it have a good warm up first
    hope it gets going man
    anyway ill ask the oldies if u can come over
    the answer will prolly be no knowing my over protective parents and all..

thanks man
    i really hope it gets started
    just to be sure ill take it to get serviced and all

cheers!

11. Post
    What does your 'twin' think about you getting this truck?

12. Post
    Oh well, I'm just offering a helping hand. Obviously your folks are gonna be like "WTF" cos they won't be with the times with the internet and all. Obviously I'm a 55 year old gay child molester etc (in their minds ).

It's more than likely your engine just hasn't been run for a while and needs the cobwebs blown out.

Holy shit, you're 15 and 1/2 and you own a Dodge Challenger. You're gonna be the coolest **** in school. Get that restricted as SOON as you can honestly man. And mint that car up. You're gonna have pussy coming out of your ears !!!

13. Post
    "Cool ****s" own evos

Right, that's enough trolling for me for one night... /me logs out

14. Post

Phat !!!

My falcon will still cane you though Your car will be way heavier.

15. Post
    Oh well, I'm just offering a helping hand. Obviously your folks are gonna be like "WTF" cos they won't be with the times with the internet and all. Obviously I'm a 55 year old gay child molester etc (in their minds ).

It's more than likely your engine just hasn't been run for a while and needs the cobwebs blown out.

Holy shit, you're 15 and 1/2 and you own a Dodge Challenger. You're gonna be the coolest **** in school. Get that restricted as SOON as you can honestly man. And mint that car up. You're gonna have pussy coming out of your ears !!!
    rofl~ i own my dad $400 i gotta pay that off before i starting modding
    and i prolly wont go over the top
    like just get it restored to mint condition "bling bling!" lol
    its got the challenger style wheels ( i think they are aabout 15" )
    rims and sounds and maybe some engine mods if i can affored it
    i allready got a g/f maen but hey 20 is better than 1 rofl~

yay ok ill be back in a wee while might just give another glance at the engine + try starting again
    brb

16. Post
    yes but its doesnt have the paint job (its just black) and no scoop but same rims sorta
    brb !

17. Post

18. Post
    BACK!!!!

still not starting but its allmost there i think

thats exactly what it looks like but not as shiney, diff rims and no white strips and
    damn it start u biatch!

19. Post
    Seriously man, read my instructions for what to do with the distributor. If you read it bit by bit, and follow my instructions step by step, I guarantee you'll get it started. (As long as you put the cap back on the dizzy and re-tighten the bolts after you've retarded the spark timing.)

You're gonna run that battery flat if you don't get it started soon. Then you won't get to hear the glorious rumble of the hemi engine for tonight. :/

20. Post
    If you ever get sick of it let me know, i wouldnt mind one of those for a project.

21. Post
    ok im gonna start doing what u said
    where do u find the "kill swich"? maybe it has one

ok brb
    retard the timing rofl~ brb

22. Post
    Tip a capfull of clean petrol down the carby first (remove the aircleaner first) - like about 3 tablespoons... if it doesnt fire on that, check for spark and then timing, if it does fire then stop and look at the fuel system.

And please do check the water and oil before running it.... cos mopar parts arnt cheap if you break something!

23. Post
    F*CK YEAH

i did what mettler said
    then tried to start it - failed
    triad again - it fired up for 6 seconds then stopped
    tried again - and gave it more gas this time and its RUNNING!! shit load of smoke came out the back though but its cleared up now, the idle is all goodjust cleaning up now
    thanks for all your help guys!!!

i will prolly take it in to get serviced on satuday if i can afford

cheers gonna go drive her up and down the coldersack for a lil bit !

24. Post
    It's a CUL-DE-SAC !!!!
    Why can no one spell that ?!?!?!

It's like spelling "saliva" as "SOLIBRE" because people are too lazy to form words properly with their mouths

25. Post
    Keke, good work getting it working.

Answer my question, what does you twin think about you getting a truck, or was this twin made up to hide your bad posts on this forum under Radium?

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... Last