Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Jim Cameron's Battle Angel Alita

Anyone have any info on the film adaptation of Battle Angel Alita that Jim Cameron is working on?

The manga is pretty cool looking, judging from what very little I've seen of it. Since Cameron is very capable action director so the flick should be good (if it ever sees the light of day). Hopefully will make up for the rubbish movie with the boat sinking that rewrote history (FU Indy). T

2. Post
    The anime still remains a belated favourite, mainly because it was one of the first I saw and owned. But it was also underdone, only brushing the surface of what the manga covers. Perhaps this film version will do more with the story, although I probably doubt it.

3. Post
    He brought the rights quite awhile ago, but nothing further has come of it yet, most people would say that Dark Angel could be considered his version of it.

Its a pity that a anime series of it never got off the ground (the OVA's were not popular in Japan) since the manga was very good, I would have liked to seen more anime made, at least there is the new version of the manga ending been done now with more on Gelly's past (which was pretty much compleatly overlooked in the original manga), I just hope I get to read more of it in the future. (Gunnm, Last Order)

4. Post
    Didn't know this project existed but JC's one of my faves (Aliens, T2) as is Battle Angel Alita. I've only seen one episode of BAA from the local video shop. Would've watched more if they were available. Like Taxi this was one of the first Manga-related flicks I've seen. At the time it was largely the cool battles that impressed me. Watching it today might not cause the same impression.

Still, if it's battle heavy and cool that's wanted then James Cameron is the man for the job.

5. Post

Only....14 years and a few months but here we are...almost. Those eyes take some getting used to.
    Taken in context they're fine - as you can see everyone else has 'normal' eyes. Since Alita's a cyborg then facial dimensions are entirely at the designers whim.

Robert Rodriguez taken over and according to IGN the movie is using a lot of the tech developed for Avatar so it'll at least look good.
    Will this be the anime that breaks into the mainstream? Probably not, but early impressions (to me) look like it's being pretty faithful to the source material.

6. Post
    looks interesting, dont mind the uncanny valley look, Alita was a doll and only meant to look like adaptation of a human doll. I am hoping they do keep to the original story, it is a modern take on Pinocchio.

tbh the manga was far more interesting but spread out of so many chapters, I suppose they cannot do the real tragedy and evolution of Alita ( ie Hugo, Ido, )

i hope they dont just make Jashugen into just an average random baddie, he was and the only one to evolve beyond a metal body, something even Alita has ..yet .. to achieve. Also Figure 4 was fantastic in this setting of super cyborgs. A human who evolved and trained to be able to take them on.
    Last edited by Bloody; 13th December 2017 at 10:01 pm.

7. Post
    Wow, apparently I replied to this thread in 2003! Gee, not old at all

Eyes are going to take some getting use to - I'm sure Gally wasn't quite so "alien" eyed. (they are fine in context of her being a cyborg of course, just a little strange looking).

Cameron, Rodriguez... I'm hopeful.

Coincidently, if you never read the (now completed... well actually a g e s ago) Last Order manga it was pretty good.

8. Post
    I want this to be good. So very much.

9. Post
    15 years on now.... why not two more months.... pushed back to Feb 2019 now.

10. Post
    Estumas wrote:
    15 years on now.... why not two more months.... pushed back to Feb 2019 now.
    What are they afraid of? I can't think of any other major releases due at Xmas. Bumblebee? That steampunk Peter Jackson film? Aquaman? Transformers franchises is on the decline and last DCEU film was both a critical and financial disappointment. There's NO HYPE for the steampunk film.

EDIT: Oh right, American Harry Potter. Woke millennial 20-something f*ckheads seem to be perpetually angry about it so maybe it might not do so well. That franchise banks on their nostalgia of aforementioned age demographic after all.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 2nd October 2018 at 6:25 pm.

11. Post
    It could also be Disney shuffling things around.

12. Post
    Latest trailer, and lastest trailer.

13. Post
    ugh.. they went straight to the roller ball derby which is the 2nd part of the comic series.. and it looks like the 3rd and 4th final part is all mixed in as well ..

14. Post
    Other than knowing of its existence I have zero knowledge of the series. Definitely keen to see this.

15. Post
    Unfortunately as Bloody points out, this latest trailer shows they've borrowed story lines from different chapters.

Typically this isn't good. Means they felt the need to mash more stuff into the movie. The origin story would have been fine on it's own. Chances of this being the awesome film I want it to be seems less likely now.

16. Post
    That seems harsh and an unfair reason to criticism the film already. If they're making a standalone then it's pretty normal to borrow from different parts of the series to make one solid film. Marvel do it all the time, mashing up different characters and arcs that show up in different series and putting it into one film.

17. Post
    Werelock wrote:
    Unfortunately as Bloody points out, this latest trailer shows they've borrowed story lines from different chapters.

Typically this isn't good. Means they felt the need to mash more stuff into the movie. The origin story would have been fine on it's own. Chances of this being the awesome film I want it to be seems less likely now.
    They probably know they wont get a sequel so theyre adapting as much of the material as possible.

18. Post
    Rii wrote:
    That seems harsh and an unfair reason to criticism the film already. If they're making a standalone then it's pretty normal to borrow from different parts of the series to make one solid film. Marvel do it all the time, mashing up different characters and arcs that show up in different series and putting it into one film.
    that is true and completely up to the producer , writer , director etc . I was just pointing out as a fan and owner of all the Alita Battle angel manga books , the original manga was purposefully split into 4 distinct parts of Alita journey from a complete memory wiped Andriod found in the junkyard, to the young person seeking her place in the world to disillusioned vengeful agent of the enemy and finally reborn android having decided on her purpose.

And there was a 5th set planned but the writer Kishiro, decided this was a good place to let Alita fans figure out for themselves like Alita herself.

Again, i would preferred they stick to the excellent character development and story telling as she struggles to slowly but surely grow into the great heroine in the manga. And my main issue is , mashing up all 4 major books into 1 , does not do her journey justice..

19. Post
    This might be the first movie under Disney/Fox. The deal is looking to close at the end of January.

20. Post
    First reactions seem very positive

21. Post
    just watched this. One of the better Hollywood movie adaptations of a manga. I'm gonna have to pick up the boxset of Alita sometime in the future.

22. Post
    No story spoilers

The movie holds true to many of aspects of the anime.

Saw this in 3D but there were no 'wow' moments.

Between Alita and ido - there isn't enough given to feel invested in them.

Sorry Weta but Alita needs more. There may have been a few moments where Alita appeared 'natural' but these should be the norm and not the exceptions.

The film didn't feel slow or long.

Seeing this again tomorrow in 2D. Will be interesting to see how/if this changes my view.

23. Post
    The film feels like a series of different episodes of an Alita tv show that are running back to back.

24. Post
    Agreed, was loving the film for the most part but it just ends rather abruptly. Would much rather they had come up with an actual ending that led off to the next arc. Really all that was missing from the fade to black was a next time on Dragonball Z voiceover.

25. Post
    The male lead was abysmal. TBH for all the hype around the SFX it wasn't worth the price of admission.