Page 1 of 3 123 Last

1. Post

Xbox Live; Getting Started and FAQ's

Well this thread has been long overdue, but now its here. Please read all of this before asking questions, if your question is not answered it will no doubt be in the link, if not, ask and we will try to answer. All info is taken from the connection page on the official Xbox site located here.

First. Here is a run down of what you need.

• Xbox.
    • An Xbox Live Kit.
    • A valid Visa or Mastercard.
    • Cat 5 Ethernet Cable.
    • A broadband/adsl connection. (Contact your ISP for availability) 128k Bare minimum. 256k or more preferred.

Ok. Got all those things? You will most likely need a PC, but then if you are reading this, you already do.

Right, next up is the set up. There are three ways to set this up your Xbox to Xbox Live.

Direct Connection
    This is the fastest, easiest way to connect Xbox Live. Choose a direct connection if:

• You want the easiest way to set up and play on Xbox Live.
    • You don't want to share your connection with your PC (or other device).

To get up and running fast, the direct connection is your best bet. Like the name suggests, it connects your Xbox console directly to your modem. It's terrific if all you want to do is play games. If you want to share your Internet connection with your PC while using Xbox Live, choose a different connection type. In most cases, you will need to use a PC to initially configure your high-speed Internet connection before directly connecting your Xbox. Contact your Internet provider for details.

Required Hardware for a Direct Connection
    1 Ethernet Cable with RJ-45 Connectors
    1. Turn off your Xbox console and your cable / DSL modem before connecting any cables. Unplug your modem from power to turn it off.
    2. Take your Ethernet cable and connect one end to the Ethernet port on your modem and the other end to the Ethernet port on the back of the Xbox console. Most modems use a standard (straight-through) Ethernet cable, but some modems use a crossover Ethernet cable. Check the documentation that came with your modem for more information.
    3. Turn on your modem, then your Xbox console, with no disc in the disc tray.
    4. From the Xbox Dashboard choose Xbox Live. Or, play a game on your Xbox Live Starter Kit disc and choose the option for Xbox Live play.

Next up....

Router Connection
    This is the best way to share your Internet service with your PC. Choose a router connection if:
    • You want to share your high-speed Internet connection with your PC (or other device).
    • Your cable or DSL modem supports an Ethernet connection.
    • You want to be able to play on Xbox Live whether your PC is on or off.

A router connection is usually the best way to connect to Xbox Live because your PC and your Xbox console can use your Internet service at the same time. See Choose a Connection type to find out if a router connection will work with your modem.

Make sure you use a router that works with Xbox Live.

Required Hardware for a Router Connection
    [list][*]3 Ethernet Cables with RJ-45 Connectors [*]NAT Cable/DSL Router [*]Ethernet NIC for the PC
    1. Before you connect any cables, turn off your Xbox console, cable/DSL router, cable/DSL modem, and PC. Unplug your modem from its power source to turn it off.
    2. Take an Ethernet cable and connect one end to the Ethernet out port on the modem. Then connect the other end to the Ethernet in port on the router.
    3. Take another Ethernet cable and connect one end to one of the Ethernet out ports on the router. Then connect the other end to the Ethernet port on the PC NIC.
    4. Take the last Ethernet cable and connect one end to one of the Ethernet out ports on the router. Then connect the other end to the Ethernet port on the back of the Xbox console.
    5. Turn on your modem, and then your router, and then your PC.
    6. Make sure that your PC can access the Internet. If not, the router may require a specific configuration to let your PC access the Internet. Check the router documentation for help configuring the router using your PC.
    7. Turn on your Xbox console with no disc in the disc tray.
    8. From the Xbox Dashboard, choose Xbox Live. Or, play a game on your Xbox Live Starter Kit disc and choose the option for Xbox Live play.

Next up....

Windows ICS Connection
    This shared connection is best only if you have a USB or internal PCI modem. Choose a Windows ICS connection if:
    • You want to share your high-speed Internet connection with your PC (or other device).
    • Your cable or DSL modem uses a USB (not Ethernet) connection, or it is an internal PCI modem.
    • You don't mind turning on your PC before playing games on Xbox Live.

Windows Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) allows you share one Internet connection with multiple devices, such as your Xbox. You need to use a Windows ICS connection (1) if your cable or DSL modem is USB-based, or (2) if it is an internal PCI modem:

Scenario 1: USB-Based Modem
    Follow these instructions if your modem is USB-based.
    Scenario 2: Internal PCI Modem
    Follow these instructions if you have an internal modem connected to a PCI slot on your PC.
    If you do not have one of these two types of modems, you are better off choosing a different connection type.

About Windows ICS
    A Windows ICS connection uses Microsoft® Windows® Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). Use ICS to set up your PC as a host computer through which your Xbox console accesses the Internet. ICS essentially allows you to use your PC like a cable or DSL router. However, you must connect your Xbox console through your PC, and always turn on your PC before playing games on Xbox Live.

Xbox Live is supported through Windows ICS for only Windows XP, Windows Me, Windows 2000 Professional, and Windows 98 SE. Depending on your operating system, the ICS software might or might not have been automatically installed when your PC was configured. The steps to enable ICS differ based on what operating system you have.

To find out how to enable Windows ICS it on your computer, click the appropriate link:

Right. After that you should be connected. Next is.....

Setting up your account

Creating your Xbox Live account is easy. As long as you have your Xbox console connected to high-speed Internet service, you're ready to rock and roll.

Just insert your Xbox Live enabled game disc into the Xbox disc drive and follow the instructions on the screen. This disc may be a full game included with your Starter Kit, an Xbox Live Starter Kit demo disc, or an Xbox Live game sold separately that includes a two-month free trial.

If you have a 12-month subscription card, simply enter the card’s subscription code during Xbox Live sign-up.

Following are some hints, suggestions, and advice to help you set up your account.

Gamertag
    Choosing your Gamertag is one of the most monumental things you'll ever do. It's more important than choosing a college, a spouse, a home. Well, not everyone will feel this is true, but we just want you to know it is a big deal. Mainly because it's your very gamer identity we're dealing with! And also because once you've chosen it, you're stuck with it. Forever. If you call Customer Support and say, "Y'know my Gamertag is Spleenmuncher, but I read this book by the Dalai Lama last week and I'm thinking I want a kinder, gentler sort of name…" you're not going to get anywhere. So choose a Gamertag that will last through your many moods and quirks over the years. Because if you want a new Gamertag, you'll have to buy another Starter Kit or subscription card.

Subscription Code
    A 12-month subscription code is included with all Starter Kits, as a card or as a sticker on the Starter Kit disc sleeve. Trial codes (for two-month trial subscriptions) are available with certain Xbox Live enabled games also. The subscription code sticker is covered by silver scratch-off stuff. Scratch this stuff off only when you intend to enter the subscription code during Xbox Live signup. If you scratch off the code cover, you can no longer return your kit for a refund.

When you enter your subscription code into the Xbox Dashboard during signup, you do not need to enter dashes—just the numbers. But if the dashes help you keep track, go ahead and use 'em.

Name
    If you have a hyphenated name, please don't enter the hyphen. Just leave a space. Even if your name on your credit card has a hyphen, don't use it in the Xbox Dashboard. Same goes for apostrophes, as in O'Grady, O'Neill, O'Gill, and so forth. Enter only the letters in your name—no symbols.

Address
    The address you enter will need to match the billing address for your credit card.

Credit Card
    You will need a standard Visa, MasterCard, or American Express card, or a debit card branded with a Visa or MasterCard logo. Yes, you already paid for the first 12 months of service when you bought your Starter Kit, but your account must be linked to a valid credit card. Your card will not be charged for any additional charges without your explicit consent for the duration of the 12 months of service.

Note If your credit card or debit card expires, you'll need to modify your billing information for your account. For more information about your billing profile, see Modifying Your Billing Information.

Debit Card
    If you want to use a debit card, a few restrictions apply:

Your debit card must have either a Visa or MasterCard logo.
    Your debit card must not have restrictions on subscription-based or Internet purchases.
    You must have more than 99 cents available in your debit card account.
    The expiration date on your debit card cannot be the same month and year as the date you set up your account.
    If you do not know if your debit card has restrictions on subscription-based or Internet purchases, contact the financial institution that issued the card for more information.

Opting In or Out of Information Sharing
    You have the opportunity to opt in or opt out of getting more information from Microsoft and third-party publishers. This is a super-important decision, because if you opt in, you’ll receive regular communications from Xbox Live about new games, new content downloads, tournaments, contests, events, sweepstakes, and more. One of the best parts of Xbox Live is all the great things we provide for members to make the service more and more fun, but you have to opt in to receive them. Also, be sure to give us an accurate e-mail address to get all of this extra info.

Managing Your Account
    Once you’ve created your account, you can sign in at any time and set up additional controls for Xbox Live access:

Set a secret pass code for sign-in.
    Modify your billing profile, including updating your credit card information.
    Renew your subscription to Xbox Live.
    Set parental controls for games, voice chat, and content download.
    For more information, see Account Management.

2. Mad
    i have done what the diagrams tell me to do but i still cant get my xboxx to connect. it dont know what to put on my xbox to connect as. at the moment it is on automatic adn it gets teh ip address but when it comes to dns it doesnt work. i have two network cards tho coz my modem is plugeed in with the other one. any help please.........

3. Post
    So you have it setup like this?

4. Post
    If so, what you need to do is configure your computer so that it behaves like a router - as that is one of the things it will be doing; routing your xbox internet traffic between the two ethernet connections (each NIC (Network Interface Card) is a seperate ethernet connection).

This is pretty complex and probably not the best way to do it - your computer will need to be on if you want to use Xbox live.

The better option would be to get a HUB from dick smiths or something and connect your PC and Xbox and DSL modem / router to it. Like this: -

Where instead of a router, you have a HUB.

Hubs are cheap as chips - less than $50 will get you a 5 port one.

5. Post
    A little more research - this Switch (similar to a hub, but better ) would do the job perfectly and it's only $39: -

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...product/XH7910

6. Post
    Thanks Phants.

7. Post
    is there certain software i need to use my computer as a router?? i dont mind my pc being on to play xbox live. dont really want to buy a hub (if i dont have to) if i can get it to work with two network cards.

8. Question
    So I have a jet Starter connection this would be fine? right. If not How much would it affect game play?

Thanks

9. Post
    bennio you need to turn your DHCP on in xbox - turn AUTOMATIC on, do same for DNS. Also make sure you're using a crossover cable and not a console/straight-through cable - if you're connecting xbox directly to that 2nd NIC. Also make sure ICS is turned ON in your OS, that should start DHCP service automatically.

10. Post
    yip i have my xbox set to automatic. do i need the second network card to find the first one(with my internet connection) to get the ip address from that to access the internet???
    i hav tried so many things and still aint working...might have t buy the hub

11. Post
    Hence why Phantom advised you.
    Originally posted by Phantom
    This is pretty complex and probably not the best way to do it - your computer will need to be on if you want to use Xbox live.

The better option would be to get a HUB from dick smiths or something and connect your PC and Xbox and DSL modem / router to it.

Hubs are cheap as chips - less than $50 will get you a 5 port one.
    Hes not just a pretty face you know.

12. Yelling
    i got a switch so now will the xbox get the ip and dns server automatically (havnt tried yet need another ethernet cable). and another question - is it possible to plug my cable modem into my switch and not through my pc or do i have to use it through my pc with internet connection sharing??

thanx for all your help

13. Post
    Turn on DHCP in your Xbox settings and it should be fine. Then hook your cable modem into the switch, that way you dont have to have your pc on to use xbl. Press CTRL + F at the top of the page and type in "Router Connection" then find, that will show you how to set up your switch and Xbox.

14. Mad
    i got the other ethernet cable and now what do i put into the my ip for my pc and xbox?? at the moment i have my normal ip from paradise in my pc but cant get the xbox to get an ip....do i need to have a different one for my pc?? i can turn my pc off and access my xbox onto live with my paradise ip but i want to be able to use them both at the same time.....also what is DHCP??

15. Post
    What kind of connection do you have? Cable modem or ADSL / JetStream? Tell me the model number of your modem / router.

16. Exclamation
    i got cable modem. it is the motorola surfboard SB4100 cable modem.

17. Post
    So it is connected to your computer via the Ethernet port (network card)? Or is it by USB?

18. Post
    Ultimately, I think you could be in for some more expense

The cable network is different to the DSL network (which I thought you were on, based on your first post) in that the "modem" is just a bridge - the computer that is connected to it is what will have the "public" IP address. On DSL, most external routers will have 2 interfaces - on one side (the side connected to telecom through the jack in the wall) is the public IP, on the other side is an internal "private" IP address. In these cases, you can normally plug them into a hub / switch and the all computers connected to that same network (like those plugged into the same hub or switch, depending on your setup) can typically be setup to connect to the internet.

If you have your network setup like this: -

You will need to manually set the IP address / gateway etc in your Xbox EXACTLY the same as in your PC. Also, you wont be able to use both the computer and the xbox on the internet at the same time, unless paradise are prepared to give you a second IP address (unlikely, but you could ask them - I used to work there, it does happen some times, ask really nicely - email postmaster@paradise.net.nz unless they have changed that address since I left, they are great guys there!).

The other option (that expense bit I mentioned earlier ) would be to trade in your hub for a cable modem router. Ascent have some, starting at $165. They will require some setting up, but it's not too hard - you should be able to get through it, if you have the vital information (IP address, Gateway etc) from Paradise written down someplace.

Good luck!

19. Mad
    will this one work aswell and it is only $130
    http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=109933

also do u think i will be able to take my hub back to dick smith(are they good at accepting returns??)

20. Post
    Originally posted by bennio
    also do u think i will be able to take my hub back to dick smith(are they good at accepting returns??)
    I think they would if you explain the situation to them. Just tell them you are on cable and you need to run to internet pc's at the same time but have to share the same ip.

21. Post
    i found a broadband router from dse so i hopefully will just be able to exchange it.
    it this is the right sort of thing... http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...ct/View/XH1151

22. Post
    i found a broadband router from dse so i hopefully will just be able to exchange it.
    it this is the right sort of thing... http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...ct/View/XH1151
    Yes, that would be perfect

23. Post
    i got the router but i cant get into the router settings to set it up. i have done everything the manual has told me too

24. Post
    Originally posted by Phantom
    INCORRECT

please don't post incorrect information to this thread.
    lol

25. Post
    i got the router but i cant get into the router settings to set it up. i have done everything the manual has told me too
    Sorry man, but I can't help you any further - I have no idea what to do with that router, I have never used one.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last