Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

1. Post
    hey, im doing my last year as a secondary student and am not too sure on wot i wana do next year. i plan on doing sumthing in design, but not sure wot. i was thinking of goin to natcoll and doing the computer graphic design course. wot do u guys reccommend???

2. Post
    do you want to get into 3d or static ?

3. Post
    I was thinking about going to Natcoll, but then I got a Scholarship and decided to go to University. Even though this year I'm having "a year off" . I'm still not sure what to do next year at uni tho.

I'm really good at Painting, Designs and computers in general (Photoshop and Dreamweaver etc).

I love playing games (atm i'm going through Far Cry and often BF: V)

I used to think I'd get into 3d Modelling etx, but I dunno!

Anyone out there been like this and actually gone ahead with something and had a good result? be good to hear about it!

Cheers,

4. Post
    Im doing a natcoll graphics diploma thingy for ncea at school, its so retarded its not funny.
    Ive never had a mate at natcoll but i have had mates at MDS: Media Design School in Auckland, thats wheere im planning to go. They said its the most proffesional and best tutored place you can ever visit !

Look into natcoll and mds.

www.mediadesign.school.nz/

http://www.natcoll.ac.nz/

digital.Nirvana

5. Yelling
    I did Media Design at MDS full time for a year during 2001, it's pretty good, really nice place, however when I left they rearrange the course structure (for the better) so I'm not sure what it's like now. If I would to sum up a word for my time at MDS, it would be Fun I'm still in contact with my classmates and we usually help each other out with projects.

6. Post
    im not sure about wot exactly i wanna do, im lookin to do maybe industrial design now, but still unsure. yeah i im doin a natcoll course at the moment in info tech at school. is that wot ur doing? if so it is not retarded, its just teachin how to use the programs, its not like its tech cos the teachers at secondary school arnt trained properly for that stuff, so the course is quite simple.

7. Post
    You might wanna have a look at www.digitrain.co.nz its expensive, but most of the graphic type students there got free Scholarships and only had to pay for their books. might wanna look into that

8. Post
    By looking at some of the protfolio work from Digitrain and having been to Natcoll's open day I would say go with MDS man, I'm studying Digital Media at MDS atm and it's been great so far and the enviroment is just great

9. Post
    If you are looking at studying Graphic Design you can go with a Degree, A.U.T and Massey spring to mind, studying in a degree enviroment you learn a lot more about visual communication which is one of the more important factors in creating good design.

With a degree you have to work a lot less harder later on for the top positions, or even the entry level positions when you start out.

You've got a lot of time to decide as you are still studying, just work hard, read books, look at mags etc and try and get a good portfolio together then apply to as many places as possible, that means when the time comes you have more options.

10. Post
    Originally posted by DriftR
    By looking at some of the protfolio work from Digitrain and having been to Natcoll's open day I would say go with MDS man, I'm studying Digital Media at MDS atm and it's been great so far and the enviroment is just great
    hmm mds aye? the game development looks gud, but i doubt id be able to keep up. from wot ive heard of game developers they live a pretty work driven life. computer graphics and design looks good, but would the natcoll course be the same? i would rather go to wellington, so natcoll is lookin beta in that way. but i think vic would be beta in a way, but its a 4 year course for the bachelor of design. but a bachelor is beta than a diploma. argh its so crazy, i mite have to take next year as it cums and think about which course to do the following year.

11. Post
    I'm midway into a 3-year course in Classical animation at Freelance (in the same building as MDS), but they also do a 3-year couse in CG animation using programs like 3D Studio Max, along with tutoring in Photoshop etc.

I'd recommend that if you're wanting to get into TV or film based industries.

12. Post
    Originally posted by DriftR

I was ging to do the 1 year animation course at MDS, but you had to be 19, so I did digitrains animation course, this is the first year they have done it, and so far its good.

Does MDS use Maya 5? are they going to get 6? cause its been released.

13. Post
    hey could sum1 explain these careers in full,

graphic designer
    industrial designer
    and anything semi related

i know the basics but no1 has really laid it down for me, so if sum1 could explain and help me beta undastand these professions it wud be much appreciated. thanx.

cg animation would be sweet, thats like the made special effects rite? like smeagle in the lotr's rite? cg stands for computer generated rite? if so how wot do u have to do to get into that course Nagash? the cd one that is. will i need uni entrance? or just a portfolio, both or none? thanx

14. Post
    scorpio :O! I'm in my first year at Freelance at the moment. I'm absolutely loving it :D! I'm looking forward to cleaning up some of you 3rd year's work ;p~

Ummm from what I've seen, MDS is elite.

15. Post
    Originally posted by Koochy
    scorpio :O! I'm in my first year at Freelance at the moment. I'm absolutely loving it ! I'm looking forward to cleaning up some of you 3rd year's work ~

Ummm from what I've seen, MDS is elite.
    Lol, I'm in 2nd year I've yet to see what the 3rd years have planned for their projects, but what I saw from last year's 3rd year students makes it hard to wait...

16. Post
    A friend of mine who did the MDS animation course, got her 30k to do a short film and ended up getting someone else to do her animation because she couldnt.

and as for freelance, dont they get you to do alot of stuff that they end up using? and i hear the first year is really boring cause all you do is inbetweening? - if you wanted to go to freelance correct me if im wrong but you have to be a good drawer dont you? maybe you are, im just saying.

I know for a fact that freelance was REALLY dodgy back in the day, i think they have cleaned themselves up now though havnt they?

Digitrain so far is good, no doubt it will be even better next year because this is the first year its been run its 2 years as oppose to freelance which is 3? and MDS is 1?

as for getting into digitrains 3d animation course, they asked for you to at least have a lvl 3 certificate in something animation related, I didnt have anything like that so i just showed some of my work from my year 13 art design, But i think you could get in with little, most of the people in my class cant draw at all. but you dont have to be able to draw to animate or model.

as for "cg", you can if you want to just be a modeller, or an animator. Most people in new zealand tend to be both. You really have to be sure you want to do it because you have to be able to sit there and work on something until you get it perfect, and animations take ALONG time, something as simple as a 30 second advert can take months. but you have to work to a dead line. and you have to understand that if your employer doesnt like it, your going to have to redo it again and again till he/she does.

Its difficult to be a really good animator, 90% of reels that get submitted are absolute crap.

So yeh you gotta be sure its wat u wanna do cause its alot of money and time.

17. Post
    Graphics design deals with print/web graphics, layouts, etc - a typical graphics designer will do -

signwriting
    book/brochure design
    advertising design
    webdesign (some do)
    logos/identity design etc
    packaging design
    and more.

Industrial designers deal with product and ergonomics/interface design. Examples include transportation design, food design (from cutlery to fridges to transportation etc) medical product design, packaging design, design psychology and ergonomics (the study of design and products in relation to the human body and how it interacts.

Industrial designers have a hard time getting a job here, believe me... jobs are almost impossible to come by.

Sounds like you want to do CG which is neither

18. Post
    sticky'd what a primo thread. if i wasnt already in the industry i would go to some of those places

19. Post
    Originally posted by Etacovda

Industrial designers have a hard time getting a job here, believe me... jobs are almost impossible to come by.

Sounds like you want to do CG which is neither
    my friends older brother is an industrial designer, he got a job at fisher'n'pikel and no works at panasonic in south korea i believe. may not be panasonic, i think maybe LG. not sure, but he gets a fair bit of cash.

nah i dont wanna get into cg, just htink its cool. my mate is thinking of doing animation so thought id ask

who here has done a one year course and got themselves a good job becos of it?

20. Post
    Originally posted by pEEk
    sticky'd what a primo thread. if i wasnt already in the industry i would go to some of those places
    yeah it is a good thread huh!? wot exactly r u doing now in the design industry? im quite curious to see wot course u have done and wot ur currently doing.

21. Post
    i done the cheapo 1 year Carich course, but i had 2 years self taught experience before that and atm i am a Graphic Designer at WIIFM Digital Media, a small company in Hamilton. I deal with website development (html, css, php & xml and the graphical side of course) plus i deal with corporate Identity and interactive cdrom development (just finished a job for Gallaghers if you know who they are).

one word of advice, wherever you think the industry is.....think about 2 years back and thats where it is atm

22. Post
    Yeah, I did a 9 month course at Natcoll, but compared to other courses, they aren't very indepth. I'd recommend trying for a longer term course, or if you go to one like Natcoll, make sure you play around with software and tutorials when you have spare time. I havn't found a steady job yet, but I'm always doing little jobs (that pay HELLA well) here and there. A guy that just opened a Pacific Islands art gallery here in Chch wants me to be his head Multimedia/Graphic designer (I only have a Multimedia diploma from Natcoll, but because of my self teaching I'm quite impressive except I don't know prepress verywell.. lol) and looking at how amazingly well PEEK has done with his Carich course, just makes me want to try harder and achieve the kind of success he has...
    Just remember, you can have all the qualifications in the world, but just make sure your work can match them because at the end of the day, if you boss knows anything about design, he'll be looking at the work, and not the papers.

23. Post
    I sent an email to canterbury uni for some info, heres what they had to say:

Hi Brendon,

Your enquiry was passed on to me...

(I basically said what I told you guys higher up this thread . . . )

If you are interested in computers, then you might want to consider a degree in Computer Science. Because our degrees are flexible, it can include a few papers in media-related subjects such as marketing, e-commerce, or even drama/creative arts.

However, the kind of computer graphics we do tends to be more building systems for other people to use (for example, we have a lab that works on Augmented Reality -- see http://www.hitlabnz.org/) rather than routine graphics-for-web-page courses.

You can find a prospectus via
    http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/ope...ate/index.html
    which provides more information about our courses.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions. If you are in Christchurch sometime, I'd be happy to meet you and/or show you around.

Best wishes for your planning!

Tim Bell
    --
    Dr. Tim Bell, Head of Department,
    Computer Science and Software Engineering
    University of Canterbury, Private Bag 4800,
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/tim
    Phone: +64 3 364-2352
    Mobile: 027 433-1998
    Fax: +64 3 364-2569

24. Post
    When I left school I was considering design at Massey or Victoria but decided to bugger it and study electronics at Victoria instead.

25. Post
    and are you glad you did that?