1. Post
    Gentlemen & Players, by Joanne Harris. I've been had, I should have seen the 'surprise' ending miles off.

Ursula LeGuin's Gifts was interesting - one of those un-exaggerated fantasies set in the Highlands (as in, Scottish or Irish hill country) where everyone's abilities are so ordinary the whole thing could almost be dismissed as peasant superstition. Almost... a disquieting book to read.

Now off to investigate the 1001 Arabian Nights stories, research for costumes.

2. Post
    Gates of Fire
    by Steven Pressfield
    Those Spartans were l33t.

Also reading Angels and Demons, meh.

3. Post
    Soul of the Fire by Terry Goodkind

4. Post
    Just finished Ice Station, by Matthew Reilly. A bloody good Grishamesque rampage of high-tech weaponry and small unit actions.

Written when he was like 23, which is a little depressing.

5. Post
    Halfway through 'Tigers in the Mud' by Otto Carius.

It's a book detailing the combat career of a Tiger tank commander, Otto Carius. It's great to get a perspective of the how the "bad guys" saw and experienced things during the war. Really dispels a lot of myths you see associated with the German soldiers of WWII.

6. Post
    GaR wrote:
    Just finished Ice Station, by Matthew Reilly. A bloody good Grishamesque rampage of high-tech weaponry and small unit actions.
    I normally don't like fiction books, but I enjoyed that one. I reckon it'd make a good movie.

7. Post
    Straw Dogs by John Gray, and for the 3rd time. It's a pretty damning critique of humanism and a lot of humanity's generally accepted values.

The other one I re-read recently was Sophie's World - only my 2nd read of that one. It's a pretty popular book, but for those who don't know it's a really easy to read introduction to the history of philosophy, presented as a fictional story about a young girl.

Yes, I need some more books to read but in both cases I felt I'd missed a lot of detail in my previous readings.

8. Post
    Kernel_Corn wrote:
    I normally don't like fiction books, but I enjoyed that one. I reckon it'd make a good movie.
    heh, true that. Fricken non-stop action for 600 pages.

Now reading At the Stroke of Madness, by Alex Kava. Quite entertaining.

9. Post
    cymbeline - shakespeare for uni. its really good. im reading rainbow six - tom clancy for pleasure
    Vegrandis

10. Post
    Vegrandis wrote:
    cymbeline - shakespeare for uni. its really good. im reading rainbow six - tom clancy for pleasure
    I just finished performing "Benedick" from "much ado about nothing" I love performing Shakespeare I hate reading it.

11. Post
    JS wrote:
    I just finished performing "Benedick" from "much ado about nothing" I love performing Shakespeare I hate reading it.
    ohh ur an actor?? did u study or do u just do it for fun? im studying directing at the mo
    Vegrandis

12. Post
    NAM.

about the vietnam war. Real eye opener, told from a grunts view.

13. Post
    re-reading Matthew Reilly's 'Contest' and Terry Pratchett's 'Thief of Time' & "The Truth' - still good

14. Post
    just finished Terry Pratchetts 'Thud' and desperatly need something else to read.

15. Post
    Read "The Dreadful Judgement" by Neil Hanson.

16. Post
    Vegrandis wrote:
    ohh ur an actor?? did u study or do u just do it for fun? im studying directing at the mo
    I do a lot of am-dram and the occasional bit of pro work. I didn't study it but I sure do like performing
    Where you studying directing? Not South Seas?

17. Post
    Clarkson: Born to Rile.

I needed something while I try and fine the next Dune novel.
    Jeeves

18. Post
    JS wrote:
    I do a lot of am-dram and the occasional bit of pro work. I didn't study it but I sure do like performing
    Where you studying directing? Not South Seas?
    no im studying at unitec in mt albert. my ex and a whole bunch of guys i know do a lot of pro acting at the SiLo theather in town and as well at the Civic. its handy to know actors etc so i can shove them in my short films lawl
    Vegrandis

19. Post
    Vegrandis wrote:
    no im studying at unitec in mt albert. my ex and a whole bunch of guys i know do a lot of pro acting at the SiLo theather in town and as well at the Civic. its handy to know actors etc so i can shove them in my short films lawl
    Ahh another prestigious member of the Unitec film school mafia
    There are times when I am sure the entire industry is either gay or part of the Unitec Film School mafia
    PM if you want my CV.

20. Post
    Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman

21. Post
    Araby - James Joyce

22. Post
    Satanic verses - Salman Rushdi
    He's rough, he's tough, and bad guys yell "enough"

23. Post
    Faith of the Fallen - Terry Goodkind

24. Post
    The Chalice, by Phil Rickman.

Very well written. About a third of the way through, and it's rockin ma socks.

25. Post
    Just finished The Chalice. It's quite an awesome story

About to start on Balefire, by Kenneth Goddard. Apparently, it's edge-of-the-seat compelling.

::edit::

This thread is now stickied. For great justice.