Results 2,526 to 2,545 of 2545

1. Post
    brand wrote:
    I've been making my way through John Scalzi's books. Just finished "Locked In" and "Head On" both fun detective procedural novels though it is a bit strange there is advanced sci-fi tech with human brains controlling mechanical robots but really no other examples of advanced technology at all.

My biggest problem with Scalzi's novels is that we think on a similar wavelength and I seem to be able to guess the outcome of his stories in advance...
    Sounds like my kinda sci fi bit more grounded in reality than full on sci fi.

2. Post
    Osiry wrote:
    Didn't realise this was out! Thanks for the heads up.
    Just finished it - really liked it, though some bits were quite predictable. Keen for the last instalment.

3. Post
    pctek wrote:
    I amazed myself, the first fantasy I actually ever enjoyed.
    If you enjoyed ASOIAF (GOT series), you may also enjoy:

- Joe Abercrombie (start with The Blade Itself).
    - Patrick Rothfuss (start with The Name of the Wind).
    - Anthony Ryan (start with Blood Song).

4. Post
    After reading the Eisenhorn Trilogy and the Ravenor Trilogy I'm about to start on the new 4th Eisenhorn book - The Magos.
    If it's anything like the other 6 books from Dan Abnett, It's going to be bloody good.

5. Post
    The 4th book of the song of ice and fire. I love the way it differs from the shity series .

6. Post
    Gravdigr wrote:
    The 4th book of the song of ice and fire. I love the way it differs from the shity series .
    Has anyone read Fire and Blood yet? It was a long time in the making so am hoping it will live up to expectations.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder when will The winds of Winter finally be ready?

7. Post
    Hello everyone,,
    while waiting for a dance with dragons from G R R Martin
    im almost mobdro finished the first book in the wheel of time
    probably buy lucky patcher the second sometime this week

ive got a bad habit of getting halfway through a series and starting a new one

currently halfway kodi through
    Memory Sorrow and Thorn - "stone of Farewell"
    The Liveship traders " Ship of Magic "
    just went back to reading the first book of wheel of time after 2 years on

all this just because Mr Martin releases his precious gems at the most random times
    and i have to read them as soon as they come out
    Last edited by Lincon; 10th June 2019 at 5:03 am.

8. Post
    I'm reading "The Moonstone" by Wilkie Collins.

9. Post
    Gravdigr wrote:
    I like everyone going back to A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons and suddenly thinking they're good books..

10. Post
    What's with all the fantasy you guys read?

Why don't you read something that makes you better informed?

Or that's at least decently written.

11. Post
    Zarkov wrote:

This thread is for sharing what you're reading, not bragging about your own dire ignorance of literature.

12. Post
    GaR wrote:
    This thread is for sharing what you're reading, not bragging about your own dire ignorance of literature.
    Not bragging, just curious.

It seems like a genre that has a bigger readership today.

This is interesting, and partly explains why you don't see much evidence of it at the library.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamrow.../#27a6deec2edf

13. Post
    Just read Conclave by Robert Harris. It's a present day set novel about electing the next pope.

Onto 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy which is post-apocalyptic.

14. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    Just read Conclave by Robert Harris. It's a present day set novel about electing the next pope.

Onto 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy which is post-apocalyptic.
    The Road is pretty dark, but so's all his stuff.

No Country for Old Men compares well with the movie, which used the dialogue almost verbatim.

15. Post
    Currently in the last 50 pages of Elantris and it is beyond wonderful. The Sanderson Avalanche never fails.

16. Post
    Zarkov wrote:

Informed about what? If the only value you see in reading fiction is to try and glean some semblance of historical accuracy from the story then I think perhaps you're missing the point.

17. Post
    Zarkov wrote:
    Not bragging, just curious.

It seems like a genre that has a bigger readership today.

This is interesting, and partly explains why you don't see much evidence of it at the library.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamrow.../#27a6deec2edf
    So you only watch the news? You've never done anything for the sake of entertainment and enjoyment?

Fantasy and Sci-fi can be as well written as any other genre but sometimes you might just feel like watching/reading a big dumb action movie.

18. Post
    I am currently listening to the audiobooks of The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie.

One problem, the narrator has a very strange way of pronouncing "grimaced" which makes it very noticeable how often Abercrombie uses that word -in fact it seems to be his absolute favourite word to describe any reaction...

19. Post
    I've been reading a lot of K.J. Parker lately. I've learned a lot about medieval combat and engineering. His stuff is really heavily researched and while it is fiction, there a lot of legit info in there.

20. Post
    I'm on the last 100 or so pages of The Aeronaught's Windlass by Jim Butcher. Way to many characters to even care about but still a fun read but more fantasy than steampunk.