Results 2,526 to 2,548 of 2548

1. Post
    Gravdigr wrote:
    The 4th book of the song of ice and fire. I love the way it differs from the shity series .
    Has anyone read Fire and Blood yet? It was a long time in the making so am hoping it will live up to expectations.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder when will The winds of Winter finally be ready?

2. Post
    I'm reading "The Moonstone" by Wilkie Collins.

3. Post
    Gravdigr wrote:
    The 4th book of the song of ice and fire. I love the way it differs from the shity series .
    I like everyone going back to A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons and suddenly thinking they're good books..

4. Post
    What's with all the fantasy you guys read?

Why don't you read something that makes you better informed?

Or that's at least decently written.

5. Post
    Zarkov wrote:

This thread is for sharing what you're reading, not bragging about your own dire ignorance of literature.

6. Post
    GaR wrote:
    This thread is for sharing what you're reading, not bragging about your own dire ignorance of literature.
    Not bragging, just curious.

It seems like a genre that has a bigger readership today.

This is interesting, and partly explains why you don't see much evidence of it at the library.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamrow.../#27a6deec2edf

7. Post
    Just read Conclave by Robert Harris. It's a present day set novel about electing the next pope.

Onto 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy which is post-apocalyptic.

8. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    Just read Conclave by Robert Harris. It's a present day set novel about electing the next pope.

Onto 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy which is post-apocalyptic.
    The Road is pretty dark, but so's all his stuff.

No Country for Old Men compares well with the movie, which used the dialogue almost verbatim.

9. Post
    Currently in the last 50 pages of Elantris and it is beyond wonderful. The Sanderson Avalanche never fails.

10. Post
    Zarkov wrote:

Informed about what? If the only value you see in reading fiction is to try and glean some semblance of historical accuracy from the story then I think perhaps you're missing the point.

11. Post
    Zarkov wrote:
    Not bragging, just curious.

It seems like a genre that has a bigger readership today.

This is interesting, and partly explains why you don't see much evidence of it at the library.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamrow.../#27a6deec2edf
    So you only watch the news? You've never done anything for the sake of entertainment and enjoyment?

Fantasy and Sci-fi can be as well written as any other genre but sometimes you might just feel like watching/reading a big dumb action movie.

12. Post
    I am currently listening to the audiobooks of The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie.

One problem, the narrator has a very strange way of pronouncing "grimaced" which makes it very noticeable how often Abercrombie uses that word -in fact it seems to be his absolute favourite word to describe any reaction...

13. Post
    I've been reading a lot of K.J. Parker lately. I've learned a lot about medieval combat and engineering. His stuff is really heavily researched and while it is fiction, there a lot of legit info in there.

14. Post
    I'm on the last 100 or so pages of The Aeronaught's Windlass by Jim Butcher. Way to many characters to even care about but still a fun read but more fantasy than steampunk.

15. Post
    Das Boot by Lothar-GŁnther Buchheim. It's brilliant story about submarine wars during WW2. Excellent story (based on real-life ofc), great author and breathtaking twists. Hardly recommend to anyone.

16. Post
    I looked for something similar to GOT, and nothing worked. Normally I hate fantasy anyway, some hero who starts out as orphan/kid/whatever, not knowing how important he/she is, ends up on quest, gets big important weapon, does amazing stuff and ends up In Charge.

Total shit.

Until I read The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie.

Now this is a bit like GOT, lots of plotting, endless wars between groups. But far funnier. Some great characters.
    Logen, of course.....
    he makes the nasty ones in GOT look tame. But is a likb=able character, not sure why. His horror at himself perhaps?

Ferro. Now there's a decent female character. If rather mad. But of course her history explains that.
    and a favourite - Glokta.

Glokta because of his depressing conversations with himself partly. Way more interesting than poor old Tyrion.

Now I have since read almost every single one that is available to buy.
    Books 1 - 3 in the First Law series - great.

Standalones:
    Red Country, meh
    Heroes, more meh

Best Served Cold - better but nah.

Sharp Ends - good.

I have the Shattered Sea ones on order (remains to be seen if I like those) , and the rest of the First Law on pre-order.

My new favorite author.

Now I read a lot. Mostly SF really.
    But while I have favourite authors I have never liked every single book by any favourite author.

Mr Abercrombie comes close to this, even the 2 meh books weren't awful, just perhaps not containing my fav characters was the reason? Dunno. Although the Heroes one seemed a tad repetitious...

17. Post
    Halfway through 'Killing Commendatore' by Haruki Murakami.
    Great read so far, as always.

18. Post
    That's on my list.

Currently reading Severance by Ling Ma, a post apocalyptic novel where the main character is a Chinese American millennial

19. Post
    Zarkov wrote:

wow, snob are you?
    There are bad fantasy books and good ones.
    There are bad mainstream books and good ones.
    It's not the subject matter, it's the writer.

And SF, the well written stuff, is a thought provoking genre, it's the point. It's what if?
    Not the nonsense you see on movies (star Wars, cowboys in space), but an idea...what if global waring and the seas rose a lot, a scenario on life in these zones...
    Or what if, Ursula Le Guin wrote a lot of that, different worlds where culture or gender or something was different, how does it change a society etc.

So Mr Snob, some of us do read things that involve a bit of thinking about things.

Fantasy, well Mr martin did base his books on things like the War of the Roses you know - real life, history, and that's how we were behaving then.
    Think on that.

20. Post
    Stephen King 11.22.63 enjoying it so far

21. Post
    Been reading Lock In. Quite a good book so far.

22. Post
    I'm just enjoying "Dandelion wine" by Bradbury. Amazing book! I become a fan of it, really. It's so sweet and touching.

23. Post
    Osiry wrote:
    Halfway through 'Killing Commendatore' by Haruki Murakami.
    Great read so far, as always.
    Reading this at the moment.