Results 2,551 to 2,568 of 2568

1. Post
    Read the night angel series....def as good as those you mention

2. Post
    Equity wrote:
    Read the night angel series....def as good as those you mention
    I have to disagree with this -it is one of the worst fantasy series I have read with huge inconsistencies from book to book and a writer who lacks the required skill to tell the story.

Try the Divine Cities Trilogy by Robert Jackson Bennett

3. Post
    Osiry wrote:
    Everything is just a little bit funny, rather than just plain tragic.
    Absolutely. It IS funny, I especially like Glokta...

4. Post
    pctek wrote:
    Absolutely. It IS funny, I especially like Glokta...
    I've just started the second book, and yeah, Glokta is definitely my favourite.

5. Post
    Just started on Head On by John Scalzi. Gotta say the Lock In series is pretty good.

6. Post
    Lord of the Rings - for the second time ever

7. Post
    Coming soon in mail:

A Little Hatred - Joe Abercrombie, next book in the First Law series, starring Gloktas daughter, well sort of daughter...

And I ordered Dangerous Women, an anthology because it has a GOT novella in it.
    While we wait and see if he ever finishes the series........

8. Post
    As of now, I am not reading anything.

9. Post
    So A Little Hatred arrived today. Finished it a short while ago.

As good as the First Law books?
    Not quite.

No Logen.
    Glokta is there but no longer POV. A pity, I liked his humour.

Gloktas daughter is there and that was good.

Isern-i-Phail and Dogmans daughter are there, POV and that was good too.

Not as violent, not as funny, but still now in my library.

Recommend for newcomers to his work?
    Still, The First Law 3.

10. Post
    Just received Book 2 of The Dresden Files. Should be a good book.

11. Post
    WarZoner wrote:
    Just received Book 2 of The Dresden Files. Should be a good book.
    Are you buying hard copies? That's gonna end up taking a lot of space

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

12. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    Are you buying hard copies? That's gonna end up taking a lot of space

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I've stopped using my kindle as I got fat as fingers and kept on pressing the next page button by accident. So resorted to buying off book depo and amazon so it's not so expensive. I've got a couple of bookshelves that need using up

13. Post
    zisenuren wrote:
    ^^ Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is awesome, but take my advice about buying WoT books: Don't do it!!! You'll hate yourself when you get up to Book 9 and you've spent all that money just to reach an extended plot synopsis. If you can get them $1 or $2 each it might be worth it

I'll re-commend Elizabeth Knox's Dreamhunter duet to anyone who hasn't read them yet. Unflashy fantasy set in a sort of turn-of-the-century Nelson.

Finished Spider by William Taylor last night. Good NZ writing, more cheerful ending than usual. Next up is Gifts, Ursula LeGuin.
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires. ~

14. Post
    Don't judge me... but I'm reading a self-help book right now Super small, easy to read, but well, I wasn't reading for a while, might just start with something.... It's "Make your bed: Little things that can change your life...and maybe the world".

15. Post
    I've received the 3rd book of the Altered Carbon series. Woken Furies a few days ago so will read that after Fools Moon.

16. Post
    brand wrote:
    I have to disagree with this -it is one of the worst fantasy series I have read with huge inconsistencies from book to book and a writer who lacks the required skill to tell the story.

Try the Divine Cities Trilogy by Robert Jackson Bennett
    We obviously have very different tastes in books - I gave the Divine cities books a try to see what you were on about...got about 3/4 of the way through the first one and just dont feel like continuing...it definitely hasnt grabbed me. What did you think about the lightbringer series?

17. Post
    The Deserter by Nelson Demille, it is a thriller but it lays bare of what is happening in Venezuela and i just finished it and the new Jack Ryan series started and it was like they based it on the book , eerie. i highly recommend you read the book and then go and watch the series.

18. Post
    Equity wrote:
    We obviously have very different tastes in books - I gave the Divine cities books a try to see what you were on about...got about 3/4 of the way through the first one and just dont feel like continuing...it definitely hasnt grabbed me. What did you think about the lightbringer series?
    Hmm interesting... I am a big fan of (most of) Brandon Sanderson's work and thought the Divine Cities books came closest in tone to a lot of his books like Elantris and Warbreaker etc. but with more of an East Asian flavour.

I haven't read lightbringer -don't really have any plans to after the Night Angel shit show.

I just don't understand how Night Angel is popular. The inconsistency from book to book drove me completely up the wall. I mean if he had the powers he had in the third book then nothing that happened in the first two books should have been a problem at all. In fact nothing should have been a problem full stop.

Plus the writing was just bad -you had the characters flat out telling what was going on in stilted dialogue that they had no reason to have because they and the people they were talking to already knew what was going on.