Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 2542

1. Post
    I really enjoyed Salvation. The only problem was that it ended too soon and I want the rest of the story.

2. Post
    GaR wrote:
    Last week I figured I'd take a look at The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemesin, book 1 of the Broken Earth trilogy, to see if all the drama that kicked off when the trilogy won Hugo awards three years running was actually justified.

Well last night I finished the trilogy, and it's proper. At first I thought the writing gimmicky (a lot of it is told in the second person), but that starts to make sense a surprisingly long way in. Jemesin wasn't afraid to make the reader wait until the third book to provide context for the world as a whole. It works better than it should, building to the sort of finale that is too often lacking in scifi & fantasy, with high stakes but also very real drama.
    Also just finished this. I had quite mixed feelings while reading as her style is a bit unconventional, but in retrospect I see how being kept in the dark through the first two made book three so great.

Would recommend.

3. Post
    An Echo of Things to Come

Book 2 of the Licanius Trilogy
    Kinda procrastinated on starting this book but it's actually pretty dope so far.

4. Post
    The Revised Fundamentals of caregiving
    Jonathan Evison

I got it because I thought the cover looked interesting and i am currently on hiatus from reading murder/scifi etc and it was only $2 at the Tirau bookfair
    It is a really good book, it started a little slow but then got going especially after the halfway point, there is a sense of looming sadness over it as you slowly find more about a tragedy in the principal characters past and the characters are flawed but trying to be better, I kind of found myself identifying a lot with them.

5. Post
    We Are Legion (we are Bob)

Entertaining so far.

6. Post
    Just finished the Silo Series by Hugh Howey and really really enjoyed it. Super interesting story, great characters. I love dystopian settings. I wish there were more books in this series haha.

Onto Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie which I'm struggling to get super into but I'm only about 15% in. I'm just not sure what's happening lol.

7. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    We Are Legion (we are Bob)

Entertaining so far.
    I found the series decent light entertainment -just be aware that the resolution of the "big bad" at the end of book 3 is a bit abrupt...

8. Post
    Have just started Brandon Sandersons "Way of Kings" series.

It's hitting the spot nicely. Long time no epic fantasy

9. Post
    Finished reading some el cheapo Star Wars book (Part of the empire and rebellion series of star wars books) Razor's Edge. Picked up Frankenstein (should've ordered it from MA as it's going for 8 or 12 bucks instead of 21 bucks), Taking a small break from Science Fiction

10. Post
    The Shape of Water - Guillermo del Toro

11. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    Just finished the Silo Series by Hugh Howey and really really enjoyed it. Super interesting story, great characters. I love dystopian settings. I wish there were more books in this series haha.

Onto Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie which I'm struggling to get super into but I'm only about 15% in. I'm just not sure what's happening lol.
    Love both of these series. I couldn’t gel with the Ann Leckie one either, put it down and came back to it months later - really liked it, top quality writing, and massive concepts explored but in an accessible way. When it clicks, it really clicks. Did you persevere with it?

12. Post
    Yeah I read the whole thing, came together eventually so might continue with the rest of the series

13. Post
    Six of Crows

I didn't realise there was a whole other trilogy set in the same world before I started so had to basically catch up with the basics on the fly.

Pretty entertaining though it's one of those stories where the main character seems to have a plan for every situation and the coincidences get pretty unbelievable.

Also the story doesn't end with this book -I only found that out after finishing the book.

14. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    Yeah I read the whole thing, came together eventually so might continue with the rest of the series
    Yeah, I think it got better as it progressed - the story got heaps more compelling and i blitzed through the whole trilogy. Well worth it.

15. Post
    cant hurt me - david goggins

16. Post
    Ben Aaronovitch the Rivers of London series . Worth a read if you like Urban fantasy . Ghosts and Wizards set in London

17. Post
    I've been working through everything Murakami. I usually burn out on authors if I read too much of their work in a row, but I'm finding that while there is a certain sameness to his style, it's not something that I get tired of.
    I love the depth of the character development. I think that the best thing about his work (for me) is that I become so involved in the story. I don't feel as though I am reading about things that are happening, I feel as though I am right there as the character.

18. Post
    I love Murakami. I think I've read about 5 of his books, enjoyed every one of them.

19. Post
    Just received Jim Butcher Stormfront. See how Book 1 of the Dresden files is.

20. Post
    Monster / Steve Jackson.

Wilderness : New Zealand's magazine of the outdoors.

Flight international.

Flight international.

Air war "Varsity" / Martin W. Bowman.

Second wind : a Sunfish sailor, an island, and the voyage that brought a family together / Nathaniel Philbrick.

Rubicon : the last years of the Roman Republic / Tom Holland.

Stalingrad / Antony Beevor.

I have these checked out at the moment.

I usually read 3 books at a time plus magazines and newspapers.

21. Post
    After seeing he hype about netflixs Birdbox I read the book.Really good read, a lot better than the movie

22. Post
    Just finished the last book in the demon cycle series by Peter V Brett https://www.amazon.com/Demon-Cycle-5-Book/dp/B01MR4BCUO
    Was a pretty good read - 7/10
    The middle couple of books told the history of some of the main characters which gave a great background to how they came about.
    The final book i think finished rather quickly (despite being the longest of the series) - kinda felt the author just wanted to wrap it up before it dragged on.
    Left a few unanswered questions. Maybe there will be further books.

23. Post
    Just finished Wind/Pinball, which I think was Murakami's first novel. I didn't actually realise that they were part of a three(four) book trilogy.
    The trilogy includes Wind/Pinball, A Wild Sheep Chase, and Dance Dance Dance.
    Turns out i read the trilogy in backward order, as I was just selecting new books based on their titles, rather than any knowledge of the content or chronology. Oops.

Taking a bit of a break from Murakami and have started reading Neuromancer by William Gibson. I'm enjoying it so far, but the writing style seems a bit... jerky? It jumps around a lot without exploring specific scenes or characters in any great detail. It feels like I am constantly half a step behind and playing catch up with whatever is happening.
    Maybe it's just because I have been bingeing on an author who can spend five pages speculating on the implications of a single thought or feeling that a character has.
    The overall feeling of the book is very gritty, and I can see why it is said to have inspired the Cyberpunk genre. It reads as though it could be a prequel to Altered Carbon.

24. Post
    I'm into book 4 of Adrian Tchaikovsky's Shadows of the Apt series. It's a fantasy, but with higher tech than usual, and a very imaginative setting in which people are divided into various types of insect kinden (Beetle-kinden, Fly-kinden, Wasp-kinden, etc), as well as into the Apt, who can deal with technology, and the Inapt, who have a more magical world view. The world is extremely well realised and it's super addictive, as well as being a nice change from the usual swords and sorcery.

25. Post
    Simon mannering warrior