GP shows off their PC builds/specs

Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.
(3 votes)
Results 2,026 to 2,050 of 2052

1. Post
    https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/499390

Should I get this ? With an upgrade to the PSU to Gold and an upgrade to RAM speeds

The only thing holding me back is the shitty case options. I currently have a PC with a Phantek Ethoo Pro M so I might just get it all disassembled and use that..

2. Post
    Looks good man. Nice price

3. Post
    Would not buy, 6 core 6 thread, nope, not in 2019.

Upgrade to 3600 (since that is the only option listed), I don't know how it compares price wise. Just don't get a 3500x.

Is the stock GPU a blower cooler? Hard to tell.

4. Post
    6/6 is fine

5. Post
    But muh future proofing.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

6. Post
    Put it this way, my 2.5 year old 6 core 12 thread CPU will perform better (1% lows etc, which is more important than average FPS) in games than a brand new 3500X. How is that fine? I seriously think that is some bad advice, to say to get the 6 core chip.

6 core/thread chips are being pretty much maxed out today when the game is well optimised. If you want more proof, just browse youtube. No sane tech reviewer is going to suggest buying 6 core 6 thread, unless on a tight budget. 2080 Super is a waste of time paired with the 3500X.

It's not "future-proofing", the chip is a bad buy for gaming already. I turned SMT off on my Ryzen 1600, usage sat at 100% in BFV... seems fine eh. Turn it back on and usage is like 60%, which shows that the game requires more than 100% of 6 threads.

Short video
    Last edited by Fragluton; 6th December 2019 at 5:34 pm.

7. Post
    Fair points. Thanks for that.

The stock GPU is a Galax RTX 2080 Super

8. Post
    So long as the standard PSU is a decent brand I wouldn't worry too much about paying $49 to get gold. 750W is already overkill by itself. Memory speed bump i'd do though for $29.

Without knowing Aussie pricing, the build to me seems like they are using the 2080 Super as the selling point, and cutting corners in other areas to keep the price down. Eg CPU, motherboard and memory speed, just doesn't seem to be in the same tier. If you're looked around and that is the best deal then sweet as. Probably the wrong thread to be discussing it anyway. https://www.gpforums.co.nz/threads/3...ests-PC-builds is a good place though, lots of good info too.

9. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Put it this way, my 2.5 year old 6 core 12 thread CPU will perform better (1% lows etc, which is more important than average FPS) in games than a brand new 3500X. How is that fine? I seriously think that is some bad advice, to say to get the 6 core chip.

6 core/thread chips are being pretty much maxed out today when the game is well optimised. If you want more proof, just browse youtube. No sane tech reviewer is going to suggest buying 6 core 6 thread, unless on a tight budget. 2080 Super is a waste of time paired with the 3500X.

It's not "future-proofing", the chip is a bad buy for gaming already. I turned SMT off on my Ryzen 1600, usage sat at 100% in BFV... seems fine eh. Turn it back on and usage is like 60%, which shows that the game requires more than 100% of 6 threads.

Short video
    I fully agree. I could not in good conscious recommend a 6 thread cpu. Whoever buys one would regret it sooner rather than later. Even a 12 thread CPU slowly heading that way although there is still a bit of life in it to come.

The nail in the coffin will be the PlayStation 5 next year, when Multiplatform games are getting developed for the ryzen 3700 inside the console with 16 threads.

10. Post
    Personally wouldn't recommend anything less than 12 threads if purchasing new in this day and age.

11. Post

First self-build complete.

ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
    AMD Ryzen 5 3600X (originally planning 3600 only, but got a good deal - only $20 more)
    EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 ti (recycled from last PC)
    G.Skill Trident Z RGB LED DDR4 3200MHz CL16 16GB (2x 8GB)
    ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD
    Seagate Barracuda 3TB 256MB 5400rpm (thought this was 7200 rpm when I ordered but didn't check properly... it's only for media files so meh)
    CORSAIR RM750X V2 750W PSU
    Phanteks Eclipse P400A D-RGB Black Edition ATX MidTower Gaming Case with Tempered Glass
    120mm Cooler Master MasterFan MF122R RGB added to the case for exhaust (but mainly to balance the RGB )

Will upgrade to a RTX3000 series GPU when they become available later in the year. I went with a higher tier mobo in the end over a B450 as I intend to upgrade to a higher tier 4000 series CPU with aftermarket cooling in a couple of years, with a further GPU upgrade a year or so after that.

12. Post
    Added my 1080 to the loop. Got sick of having to ramp the fan up to keep temps down. Still holding out for next gen GPUs!

13. Post

Completed on saturday

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by ludez; 2nd February 2020 at 5:13 pm.

14. Post
    ^Nice ludez, is that the wifes rig? Also, turn off your watermark boomer

15. Post
    Nvidia DM'd me cos they wanted to do a showcase of my PC build and they posted it yesterday on Insta an Twitter.
    Here's some pics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GP.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	859.3 KB 
ID:	228313

Name:	GPforums.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	714.5 KB 
ID:	228312

Here's the link to it
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B9UYB9HD..._web_copy_link

16. Post
    Yeah nah that’s pretty sick, I ain’t gonna lie. O11 is dead sexy too

17. Post
    BrentSt wrote:
    Nvidia DM'd me cos they wanted to do a showcase of my PC build and they posted it yesterday on Insta an Twitter.
    Here's some pics.

Name:	GP.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	859.3 KB 
ID:	228313

Name:	GPforums.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	714.5 KB 
ID:	228312

Here's the link to it
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B9UYB9HD..._web_copy_link
    I am about to start a very similar build.

Question time - What radiators and fans did you use? How are your temps? Any tips for me building a similar system?

18. Post
    Unknitlemon6855 wrote:
    I am about to start a very similar build.

Question time - What radiators and fans did you use? How are your temps? Any tips for me building a similar system?
    I have an EK Coolstream PE 360 Rad and a Bitspower Leviathan slim 360. The Fans are Lian li Bora.
    I got the Bitspower rad because I originally placed the rad at the side\rear of the case and the EK wouldn't fit.

Getting the custom reservoir for the side or the front of the case makes it look awesome imo. Bitspower and EK do them. Their not cheap but come with a pump and allow for some pretty sweet tube runs.

19. Post
    I completed the worlds smallest upgrade this weekend. Went from a 16mb bios chip to a 32mb one.

20. Post
    Lol why? Is the chip removable or is that your photo and you swapped boards.

21. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Lol why? Is the chip removable or is that your photo and you swapped boards.
    That's my photo, swapped boards lol.

My brother was building a new machine and he let me have his MAX - took a bit of effort to swap the boards, but now my bios is GRAPHICAL!

22. Post
    Ah fair enough then, graphical BIOS FTW.

23. Post
    Lol I just used a mortar max in my build on saturday

24. Post
    Built my inlaws a SFF PC. Makes my H200 look enormous.

Name:	DSC07161.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	353.1 KB 
ID:	228516

3200g, MSI b450i, 16gb ram, 512 m.2, inwin Chopin

25. Post
    Bought my G3258 back to life to WFH.

Name:	pc.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	66.7 KB