Results 1,851 to 1,854 of 1854

1. Post
    1912 - 6/10

Where was the action scenes?
    Too hyped for me, people comparing it to saving private ryan will be sorely disappointed.

2. Post
    holocaust wrote:
    1912 - 6/10

Where was the action scenes?
    Too hyped for me, people comparing it to saving private ryan will be sorely disappointed.
    Is that the prequel to 1917?

3. Post
    watched 1917 as well

the technical aspect of this 1 continuous shot by Mendes is incredible. Really REALLY impressive when you just realize how much effort, timing, shot selection and crafting of each scene is required. Hell even multiple billion dollar sets with 20 plus year of experience set makers and directors would struggle with such a vision which requires planning and commitment way beyond most.

the story is simple and there is actually a character arc which you would not think happen in effectively a movie about 9 hours of a soldier mission from 1 point to another. There is also a lot of nuance in the violence, often we see the result of the violence ( half buried rotting bodies in smashed and ruined landscapes compared to the beautiful and pristine scenery shots of a relatively unblemished and yet untouched by war countryside ) rather than any modern rambo style action sequences.

all in all 10/10 for me. Highly recommended.

4. Post
    In the heart of the sea

It was ok imo. One of Chris Hemsworth's better non MCU films. Fascinating story. Given the ocean is still one of the more unexplored parts of the earth.

Very different war film compared to something like private Ryan. It didnt need lots of action instead it focused more on the atmosphere and tension and the soldiers. Told a very personal story. Got a little teary eyed a couple of times during the movie. Particularly one scene where Will finds the group of soldiers singing. My grandad fought in both world wars so war movies like this are tough to watch for me but it was worth it Sam Mendes did a phenomenal job.