1. Post
    How to get SS2 to run under modern Windows (7/8/Vista/XP/etc).

Step 1: Copy \shock\ from the CD to a location on your HDD (not c:\program files\ or c:\program files (x86)\).

Step 2: Install the game.
    1. Download and run SS2 Kolya Tool.
    Point the program to the location of \shock\ on your HDD and it will install a patched version of the game with all of the modern of the compatibility fixes/mod readiness fixes/etc (including the recent "NewDark" fan patch that was created from the leaked Dark Engine source code.).
    Note that during installation SS2Tool will download some resources as necessary. If you need an offline solution see below.
    The game should run now.

Optional step: Install enhancement mods (eg Hi Res textures and model replacements).

1. Download and run SS2 Mod Manager (S2MM).

Some notable mods:-
    SS2 Rebirth - Model replacement pack.
    SHTUP - Hi-res texture pack.
    Straylight - Solution to balance issues, game system anomalies and outright bugs.
    DeepFriedBeer SoundUpgradeV3 - Beefed-up sound effects.

2. Once you've downloaded your desired mods, rename ZIP/RAR files to the extension *.ss2mod. Double-click one and S2MM will unpack them to the appropriate location.
    3. Launch S2MM, activate the desired mods and finally launch the game.

You'll want to create a profile for this in your video card control panel and crank up the AA and AF, this game looks pretty shitty without AA.

2. Post
    legend!

3. Post
    i found a copy on this "abandon software" website a while ago... what worked with xp... gee i hate the controls on that game though hah!

4. Post
    Pxndx wrote:
    i found a copy on this "abandon software" website a while ago... what worked with xp... gee i hate the controls on that game though hah!
    It has a "standard FPS" preset that uses WSAD.

5. Post
    i had to change like strafe and stuff around... was weird how i moved around

6. Post
    I tried everything when I dlled it a few months back and still couldn't get the videos to play =(

7. Post
    Interestingly, I've never had to jump through hoops to get my copy of SS2 working on XP, install and run straight away. Lost count of the number of times I've played through it now...favorite game ever

8. Post
    If you have a dual core or hyperthreading cpu, you will find SS2 crashing a lot due to the "2 cpu" thing.

A simple temporary fix is to start System Shock 2, minimize, alt-ctrl-del, go into the Processes tab and right click on shock2.exe, click Set Affinity, and then untick one of the CPUs in there and leave the other ticked.

It's to fool the game into thinking you have 1 CPU (on any computer running DC/HT, half their cpu power is plenty to run SS2 )

This method also brings back FMV playback.
    Roadskin

9. Post
    After installing all patches/graphics updates.

right click on executable
    select properties
    click compatibilty tab at top
    select windows 2000 compatable.

Works for me without having to download the koyla tool.

10. Post
    Yeah I was doing that anyway Roadskin ^_^ With a e6600 btw. Meh I played it enough on Win98 =P

11. Post
    I have a dual-core and was able to play straight away from a clean install...

12. Post
    Kolya Tool patches the game so that it ignores the 2nd CPU, thus you don't need to tab out and change the affinity every time you want to play the game.

13. Post
    I'm too scared to play this game

14. Post
    Never tried it in x64, but in XP it's always been fine for me.

15. Post
    i had issue where it would just crash straight away not even start up, fixed it by deleting lgvid.ax which drops the cutscenes but made it work

IMO when comparing to bioshock i really miss the interface of ss2, i think its 10 times better, but then i suppose it was down to the console influence

16. Post
    HellToupee1 wrote:
    i had issue where it would just crash straight away not even start up, fixed it by deleting lgvid.ax which drops the cutscenes but made it work
    No need to delete it and lose the cutscenes.

Use Kolya Tool or SS2MM to re-register lgvid.ax.

17. Post
    Hey, is it all possible to play this game at resolutions greater than 1024*768? Ta.

18. Post
    Infuriation wrote:
    I'm too scared to play this game
    Play it cooperatively with a friend then
    Roadskin

19. Post
    I keep getting the error that i don't have indeo drivers installed ><

20. Post
    Lokhor wrote:
    I keep getting the error that i don't have indeo drivers installed ><
    Run IV5PLAY.EXE from on the CD.

21. Post
    Roadskin wrote:
    Play it cooperatively with a friend then
    Has it got co-op? Sweet.

22. Post
    Infuriation wrote:
    Has it got co-op? Sweet.
    Yeah

It wasn't included in the retail version of the game, but the patch for it (I think SS2 only had 1 patch ever) includes multiplayer which is 4-player coop
    Roadskin

23. Post
    i did try installing the indeo drivers off the cd, had the same issue still. i renamed the LGVID.AX to disable the videos and that worked though.

24. Post
    In case anyone finds this thread through Google or whatever, everything in the guide is incredibly out of date. It's very easy to play SS2 today.