Black, Death, Doom, Thrash and other forms of Metal worth contributing

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)
Page 1 of 180 12341151101 ... Last

1. Arrow

Black, Death, Doom, Thrash and other forms of Metal worth contributing

Post your favourite releases from specific genres of Metal for those in search of... Black, Death Doom, Thrash, Prog etc...

Death Metal

Akercocke - Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone
    Athiest - Piece Of Time
    Behemoth - Demigod
    Cryptopsy - None So Vile
    Death - Symbolic
    Nile - Amongst The Catacombs Of Nephren-Ka
    Quo Vadis - Day Into Night

Doom Metal

Cathedral - The Ethereal Mirror
    Cephalic Carnage - Halls Of Amenti
    Dolorian - When All The Laughter Has Gone
    Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
    Om - Conference Of The Birds
    Orthodox - Gran Poder
    Sunn O))) & Boris - Altar
    Winter - Into Darkness
    The Wizar'd - Follow The Wizard

Releases in this colour are essential in my opinion.

2. Post
    Kiuas (not kyuss for gods sakes):

Kiuas are a power metal band from Espoo, Finland. The name 'Kiuas' is a Finnish word for 'sauna stove'. Name for the band comes from the word 'hiidenkiuas'. All the band members are Finnish pagans, which lead to many of their songs encorporating themes about paganistic gods, such as "Ukko".

Grab: The Spirit of Ukko (Album, 2005)

Recommended track(s):
    - Warrior Soul (should be indication-enough of how awesome they are)

Lets try and keep this thread full of original stuff guys. Try and have as little mainstream/c4whoring stuff as possible.
    Introduce us to something foreign and new!

3. Post
    I suppose I should name some of the less well known bands rather than state the obvious like Metallica, Megadeth, In Flames, Opeth, etc.

So:

Drudkh
    Awesome black metal/NSBM band from Ukraine. Mostly sing about their homeland, its beauty and history. However, the lyrics are unintelligible anyway, unless you know Ukranian or Russian. There is a lot of debate as to which album is best, but a safe bet would be to get "Blood in Our Wells", 2006. Other releases are also brilliant, so you can't really go wrong.

Agalloch
    Hard to explain the musical style of this progressive/doom/atmospheric metal band, read the wiki article though. Personally, I'm not a fan of "The Mantle", so I'll recommend "Pale Folklore" and the most recent album "Ashes Against the Grain".

Edge of Sanity
    Swedish progressive death metal band. Interesting unorthodox musical style, best summed up by "Crimson". "Crimson II" and "The Spectral Sorrows" are also fantastic albums.

4. Post
    Haggard
    http://www.haggard.de
    http://www.myspace.com/haggard2007
    http://www.en.wikipedia.org/Haggard

"Haggard is a German symphonic metal musical group founded in 1991.
    The group combines folk, classical, renaissance and medieval music with melodic death metal."

amazing performers. Haggard are the most incredible blend of classical and metal, variable vocals, choir, growls and really dynamic song structures.. it simply blows me away. they make symphony and metal sound like they were meant to be together.

Ensiferum
    http://www.ensiferum.com/
    http://www.myspace.com/officialensiferum
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ensiferum

"Ensiferum is a Viking / Folk metal band from Helsinki, Finland.
    The band label themselves as "Heroic Folk Metal."

goddamn, Ensiferum kick copious amounts of ass. i found out about them here and i'm glad i did. i heard their self titled album first, it gave me a thorough wowing, brilliant band. "Heroic Folk Metal" sums it up perfectly.

5. Post
    Black Metal

Blut Aus Nord
    "Blut aus Nord are a black metal band from Mondeville in France who have embraced avant-garde metal on some of their later releases."
    Reccomended:
    -Ultima Thulé
    -Memoria Vetusta I - Fathers Of The Icy Age
    -The Work Which Transforms God

Nokturnal Mortum
    "Nokturnal Mortum is an NSBM band from Ukraine, and is one of the major black metal bands from eastern Europe, along with Graveland. Their lyrical ideology is very much inspired by neo-folk beliefs, and they have been associated with the neo-paganist movement."
    Reccomended:
    -Lunar Poetry (Demo)
    -NeChrist
    -To the Gates of Blasphemous Fire

Summoning
    "Summoning is an Austrian experimental atmospheric black metal band. Their style has been described as 'Tolkien Metal' because the lyrics on most of the albums they have released deal with the mythological world created by J. R. R. Tolkien, Middle-earth. A notable exception to this is the album Stronghold."
    Reccomended:
    -Oath Bound
    -Minas Morgul

6. Post
    Heavy metal/NWOBHM:

Angel Witch - self-titled
    Blitzkrieg - A Time of Changes
    Satan - Court in the Act
    Pariah - Blaze of Obscurity
    Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations
    Tygers of Pan Tang - Spellbound
    Witchfinder General - Death Penalty, Friends of Hell
    Tytan - Rough Justice
    Cloven Hoof - A Sultan's Ransom
    Pagan Altar - Volume 1

7. Post
    Drudkh aren't really NSBM kapusta... all the lyrics in Drudkh are from an 18th century christian (shock horror) Ukranian poet...

my faveourites

Black metal:
    Drudkh
    Shining
    Craft
    Watain
    Conqueror
    Bathory (first albums)
    Black Witchery
    Destroyer 666

Doom metal: (im a bit new to this genre so don't know too much)
    CANDLEMASS!!!
    Sunn O)))
    Reverend Bizarre
    Coffins (bit of death metal mix in this, fans of d-beat/crust punk might like)
    Earth

Heavy metal:
    Iron Maiden
    Manowar
    Mercyful Fate
    Saxon
    Tank

Death metal:

Morbid Angel (strictly the first album)
    Possessed
    Pestilence
    Obituary
    Dissenter
    The Amenta
    Vader (first album only)
    Deicide (first album only)
    Cannibal Corpse (first album only also hehe)

Honorable mention:

Exhumed!!!

8. Post
    Ret- wrote:
    Drudkh aren't really NSBM kapusta... all the lyrics in Drudkh are from an 18th century christian (shock horror) Ukrainian poet...
    I don't know about that. First of all, Taras Shevchenko lived during the 19th century. Wikipedia mentions some connections with NSBM, and looking through the lyrics I found a couple of references such as (rough translation follows): "The cossack sang: No Jew or Pole will be in the Ukrainian steppes", or "The cossacks have left: some to the houses, some to the forests... with knives [...] to kill the Jews. This famous deed has not been forgotten."

Anyway, some more bands:

Dark Tranquility - this melodic death metal band from Gothenburg seems be less popular than In Flames, but they are just as good if not better. The Gallery and Damage Done are two of my favourite albums.

Meshuggah - progressive/technical death metal. Chaotic sound and screams, odd time signatures and general disorder in the song composition. It's really hard to describe - so here's a wiki link that should explain a lot. Albums - Destroy Erase Improve and Chaosphere.

On the subject of Death - I reckon Human is their best album, but Symbolic, Individual Thought Patterns and Leprosy are great as well.

9. Post
    Essential albums that every metal fan should listen to IMO.

Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
    Judas Priest - Stained Class
    Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East
    Judas Priest - Painkiller
    Iron Maiden - s/t
    Iron Maiden - Killers
    Iron Maiden - Powerslave
    Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
    Black Sabbath - s/t
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
    Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
    Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
    Death - Human
    Dio - Holy Diver
    Exodus - Bonded by Blood
    Helloween - Walls of Jericho
    King Diamond - Abigail
    Megadeth - Peace Sells But Who's Buying
    Megadeth - Rust in Peace
    Metal Church - s/t
    Mercyful Fate - Melissa
    Metallica - Kill 'Em All
    Metallica - Ride the Lightning
    Motorhead - No Sleep til Hammersmith
    Overkill - The Years of Decay
    Overkill - Horrorscope
    Overkill - Feel the Fire
    Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element
    Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
    Testament - The Legacy
    Witchfinder General - Death Penalty
    Witchfinder General - Friends of Hell

10. Post
    SmellyStuff wrote:
    Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
    I second that.

11. Post
    Suicidal Tendencies - How Will I Laugh Tomorrow When I Can't Even Smile Today

The progenitors of punk/metal crossover come up with a purely thrash metal effort which will excite, elevate and amaze the thrash metal fan from the depth of emotion in the lyrics to the virtuosity of the guitars. Still my favourite album even after all these years. The following songs are highlights:

Trip at the Brain - Purely thrash with a melodic interlude in the middle where Mike Muir raps over the top of Rocky George's wailing guitar solo - astounding.

Pledge Your Allegiance - A kind of anthem for Suicidal and the song that got me into them all those years ago.

How Will I Laugh Tomorrow - My favourite song of all time. 'Nuff said.

The Miracle - Starts off with a menacing rolling wall of guitar sound which builds on a frenzy of cathartic wordplay until it climaxes with an extremely melodic and touching finale. Love it.

Sorry?! - Amazing, lyrically and aurally. Just listen to it.

The Feeling's Back - Mike Clark's guitar riff is made in metal heaven.

12. Post
    Black Metal:
    Conqueror
    Black Witchery
    Dissection
    Bathory
    Axis Of Advance
    Beherit
    Blasphemy
    Darkthrone
    Vassafor
    Varathon
    Revenge

Doom:
    Ahab
    Bongripper
    Thergothon
    Unearthly Trance
    Winter
    Cathedral (first album and EP only for me)
    Teeth Of Lions Rule The Divine
    Runemagick

13. Post
    At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
    Sacramentum - Far Away From the Sun
    Mortem
    Immolation!!!
    Intestine Baalism
    Molested
    Unleashed
    Another Sepultura album that's awesome - Schizophrenia
    Illdisposed
    Summoning
    Bathory
    Tormentor
    Pagan Altar - try this if you like Sabbath.
    Celtic Frost/Hellhammer

A few goodies

14. Post
    BeefyBurgers wrote:
    Pagan Altar
    Cheers for that. Just got my hands on The Time Lord. They've got a great sound.

15. Post
    I recommended Pagan Altar in my original post. >_>

Also, Pentagram (American doom band) and Witchfinder General sound almost identical to Sabbath so you should like them.

For any fans of shredders like Yngwie Malmsteen, John Petrucci, Michael Angelo Batio etc, you guys should listen to Racer X, Tony MacAlpine, Cacophony and Jason Becker.

16. Post
    SmellyStuff wrote:
    I recommended Pagan Altar in my original post. >_>
    Sorry, I probably had to see it twice to hammer it into my brain !

geneterror wrote:
    Ahab
    I just downloaded The Call of the Wretched Sea from iTunes music store and it is f*cking brilliant.
    http://www.ahab-doom.de/

17. Post
    Bit of an odd request,

Anyone know of a band that has scientific themes/sound? Preferably Death Metal but Black and Doom are fine.

18. Post
    ^^You might like Empire by Machinae Supremacy. Worth a shot.

19. Post
    Just made a sweet discovery,

http://www.wormed.net/Audio%20Mp3/WO...of%20Ions_.mp3

Wormed is an experimental brutal death metal band from Madrid, Spain formed in 1998. Wormed's lyrics tend to involve space, mathematics, human evolution, and other mysteries.

20. Post
    The Wizar'd wrote:
    Bit of an odd request,

Anyone know of a band that has scientific themes/sound? Preferably Death Metal but Black and Doom are fine.
    Get either of the Nocturnus albums 'The Key' or 'Thresholds'. Other than that if you like Brutal Death Metal try Wormed - Planisphaerium

21. Post
    geneterror wrote:
    Other than that if you like Brutal Death Metal try Wormed - Planisphaerium
    Lol, see post above !

Cheers, I'll check out Nocturnus!

22. Post
    Woops I saw your request the night before I posted that and just posted it the next morning without looking at the other responses.

You could also check out Pestilence - Spheres album.

23. Post
    geneterror wrote:
    Woops I saw your request the night before I posted that and just posted it the next morning without looking at the other responses.

Will do, cheers.

24. Post
    Not strictly Metal however I'm really enjoying The Dillinger Escape Plan's Calculating Infinity album at the moment.

25. Thumbs up
    geneterror wrote:

Consuming impulse & testimony of the ancients are awesome... especially consuming impulse!

Sphere's is good in parts, but essentially it’s a cheap mans Cynic - Focus to me, worth a go though