Page 2 of 6 First 12345 ... Last

1. Post
    As I have observed in the past plays, the auto save system works like Office most of the time. It saves when you have done some sort of transaction, character building activities prior to the loading. Therefore going in , out of building with out these activities should be fairly swift.

2. Post
    For those who have disabled the autosave function, just be aware that it may cause other issues at points when the autosave would normally kick in.
    If you cannot move Geralt but the keys are still responding (opening inventory etc) then you may need to enable the autosave function again.

3. Post
    Okay so I found a good way to reduce the long loading times, tried it and noticed a big improvement

all you have to do, is simply move your Paging File to another hard-drive or another partition on your hard-drive instead of on your main partition (usually C: or whatever)

if you don't know how, read this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307886

Spliff

4. Post
    Thanks for the tip Spliff! You deserve a spliff.

5. Post
    Could some one with deep computer wisdom please explain to me what is the effect of moving the paging and why would it improve load time.
    Preferably in a language other than binary.

6. Post
    Spliff wrote:
    all you have to do, is simply move your Paging File to another hard-drive or another partition on your hard-drive instead of on your main partition (usually C: or whatever)
    You mean move the page file to a different partition from the one 'The Witcher' is installed in or to a different one than Windows is installed in?

7. Post
    Paging is when your PC uses your harddrive as virtual RAM see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory for more in depth description

So if you change where is swaps to disk (lots of reads & writes) to a unused drive (The Witcher is not running on it) then you should get productivity gains.

The alternative is get 2GB of RAM so you never use the virtual RAM however I the load times are still significant.

8. Post
    actually, I moved it to the same partition that the game is installed on. So I think you're supposed to put in on any partition/drive that isn't your Windows drive.

For example, C: is my main drive with Windows on, and the game is installed on D drive where I install all my games - I moved the paging file to my D drive

yeah I dunno why it works but it does, atleast for me, it's only taking a few seconds to load between areas now. Now just need the patch so you can disable the annoying autosaving :/
    Spliff

9. Post
    Nasty-One wrote:
    Paging is when your PC uses your harddrive as virtual RAM see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory for more in depth description

So if you change where is swaps to disk (lots of reads & writes) to a unused drive (The Witcher is not running on it) then you should get productivity gains.

The alternative is get 2GB of RAM so you never use the virtual RAM however I the load times are still significant.
    So if you have 2 GB or more RAM, doing this wouldnt make a diff?

10. Post
    Nope like me just using RAM which is way faster.

I believe the issue is in the way it unpacks or something I have 2GB RAM Sata II Raid Drives and 2 8800's and still get the long loads.

Aparently this will be resolved with patch 1.2 out before Xmas.

Maybe I go play Mass Effect whislt I wait as it is such a great game to play

11. Post
    Just installed it and installed the patch but when i go to play it nothing happens.....

12. Post
    nanaki_elf wrote:
    Just installed it and installed the patch but when i go to play it nothing happens.....
    Did you download and run the hotfix as well?

DO NOT run file "removepatch.exe" from game’s directory.

IMPORTANT! Game requires:

For Microsoft ® Windows ® Vista

- Hotfix, that can be downloaded from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105

- the latest graphic drivers

For Microsoft ® Windows ® XP

- the latest graphic drivers

- Service Pack 2

13. Post
    Describe the combat. It's not just mindless button bashing is it?

14. Post
    Beebegun05 wrote:
    No its more mindless timing it right then swing and hit, but it aint Diablo.

15. Post
    Reckon it'd run acceptably on an X800 pro, 1GB ram, and XP home? Or is there a 360 port on the horizon?

16. Post
    Beebegun05 wrote:
    It is still an RPG after all. Combat is the best for an RPG game I have ever played. You have a few interaction while fighting:
    1.Time click to string combo (There are 30 possible attack moves as you develop ur char)
    2.Using a wide variety of magic (Force field,fire ball, trap,...) 2 mode: normal and charge
    3.During combat you can actively run and dodge with either mouse or WASD keys

Apart from that, ur char has ability to pick up other weapon dropped by enemy (dagger,hammer...) each type of this weapon attack differently as well.

Because all of the above is execute using only 2 mouse button, the game does not have the dynamic feel of the like of Devil May Cry or Gaiden. But is is better than Fable, Two World, or even Oblivion by a long long shot.

17. Post
    Wicked might buy it next pay day

18. Post
    Danger Megatron wrote:
    Reckon it'd run acceptably on an X800 pro, 1GB ram, and XP home? Or is there a 360 port on the horizon?
    I'm on a 7900GT 2GB RAM and a 3700+ and I can run the game with everything as high as it goes smoothly. So it should run fine on your machine.

LonelyCupiD wrote:
    1.Time click to string combo (There are 30 possible attack moves as you develop ur char)
    2.Using a wide variety of magic (Force field,fire ball, trap,...) 2 mode: normal and charge
    1) All made by the same single click of the mouse button at just the right time...
    2) 7 spells is not a "wide variety". Especially when only two of them are actually useful, and maybe two others could be considered marginally useful under the right circumstances.

LonelyCupiD wrote:
    Apart from that, ur char has ability to pick up other weapon dropped by enemy (dagger,hammer...) each type of this weapon attack differently as well.
    But you can't use your witcher combat styles(all the combat moves mentioned above) with most of those weapons, so they're effectively useless. And even disregarding that the other weapons are always worse than the witcher swords through-out the entire game, with the exception of one area if you happen to be incredibly good/lucky.

But despite all of that, 'The Witcher' is definitely a game worth buying. The combat system is good fun, feels a lot more dynamic/interesting than any other RPG released recently(e.g. Oblivion), and I still love watching the animations(especially the stunned-insta-kill ones) 20-30hrs into the game; which is a first for me .

19. Post
    This game has been great so far.

You're not some pansy character evolving into a hero. you ARE a hero.

he doesn't take shit. he's tough. and since when have you seen a cutscene where the main character just puts a sword through a monster without hesitation

great game~!

20. Post
    Gozie wrote:
    you ARE a hero.
    Geralt is an anti-hero. He's a self centered mercenary who will rarely do something for nothing. He's also somewhat egotistical, although that doesn't show through a great deal in the game due to his 'memory loss' but as a character he's good and he knows it.

Basically, Geralt is a loveable asshole. He's not the good guy and he's not the bad guy, he's just there for himself and thats it.

21. Post
    Is this game SP only?
    I spammed the admin forum and all i got was a custom tag telling me I'm a tool

22. Post
    Sure is but its a bloody good SP game.

23. Post
    eug1404 wrote:
    1) All made by the same single click of the mouse button at just the right time...
    2) 7 spells is not a "wide variety". Especially when only two of them are actually useful, and maybe two others could be considered marginally useful under the right circumstances. .
    As you also stated, the variety of the animations is what make it fun. PC games are limited to only mouse click action unfortunately. But 300 animation (as CD Projekt claimed) definately beat 4-5 animations in most PC RPG games.

PS: The stunt kills are amazing to watch, also if you can pause the game at the instant when sword contact foe body during these kills, you can see the enemies react to such brutality, which is a very nice touch

24. Post
    Is there a date on the loading times patch? I'll probably wait for that before buying.

25. Post
    Publicly they aren't saying anything other than before Christmas.