Results 51 to 75 of 142

  1. Post
    #51
    basically load times are similar to console games.

    If your not a compulsory looter of houses most of game play isn't affected much by loading and saving times. However my main frustration was loading after dying but then console games are like this as well.

  2. Post
    #52
    Well, I've been watching my flatmate play this, and I have to say... it looks utterly cliche, repetitive, boring and uninspiring. It's yet another entirely generic, run-of-the-mill, typical RPG, just using the latest graphics engine.

    I may come off as being someone who criticises all games, but seriously I do like some new games. The Witcher however, literally is just regurgitated 'seen it before' shit.

    If you're really enjoying this game, perhaps you literally do like gaming more than me now, or you're a whole lot younger and didn't play Ultima, or Diablo, or other similarly themed games back in their day.

  3. Post
    #53
    I can't say i enjoy watching anyone play a game. I really don't think you can make a believable criticism about a game without actually having played it yourself. IF you had played it you would realize that The Witcher has much that other games in the past 4 odd years haven't offered, such as an in-depth story in which crucial choices you make will ultimately decide the outcome of the game. Whose done that and actually made it work? Fable? The difference between good and evil were few and far between.. It's got a combat system that is completely new, what game do you know that used this same system and made it work? The world is actually IMMERSIVE, so many games struggle with this, and in many ways it's the kicker... if i don't feel immersed in the game, it's dead.

    Now i'm fine with you making you're own mind up about games but i'd much rather hear it after you actually played them.

    I've only got to chapter 2 in The Witcher and in fact have stopped playing because i just don't have the time, but i will most likely come back to it at some point because i know it's a game that's actually worth finishing.

  4. Post
    #54
    Mettler wrote:
    The Witcher however, literally is just regurgitated 'seen it before' shit.
    If you have the same opinion after actually playing the game for a while then I might consider it valid criticism but simply watching a game is hardly going to give you a proper appreciation of what the game does and doesn't get right.

    And for the record, I've played the likes of Ultima, Diablo, Fallout, Planescape etc etc...all the old scholl brilliant RPG's and I still think The Witcher is a fantastic game that deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence as those greats before it.

  5. Post
    #55
    Mettler wrote:
    Well, I've been watching my flatmate play this, and I have to say... it looks utterly cliche, repetitive, boring and uninspiring. It's yet another entirely generic, run-of-the-mill, typical RPG, just using the latest graphics engine.

    I may come off as being someone who criticises all games, but seriously I do like some new games. The Witcher however, literally is just regurgitated 'seen it before' shit.

    If you're really enjoying this game, perhaps you literally do like gaming more than me now, or you're a whole lot younger and didn't play Ultima, or Diablo, or other similarly themed games back in their day.
    We played Ultima, Diablo (and I find it odd that you reference a generic hack n slash rpg with so many same old diablo games running about these days), Baldurs Gate, etc ...

    But what do you expect is going to be different? It's the same genre, of course there's going to be huge similarities between these games.

    the difference with the witcher as someone stated before as it's the first decent crpg in the last few years that actually has an immersive story line, good character (and some what innovative) development, with plot choices and good mini games that make this game worthwhile.

    And don't spin that latest graphics bullcrap to me. I still use a nforce 2 system with a 9800 video card. I don't get all the flashy crap and have to play on the lowest settings. And I still love it.

    I suggest you play it mets ^_^

  6. Post
    #56
    No, you guys are wrong about me having to play it to enjoy it. GaR was playing it and I was watching him basically from the start, he doesn't much like it either.

    What difference does it make whether I'm moving my hands a little and clicking the mouse occasionally, as opposed to him? I wouldn't be getting any more fun out of it.

    The combat system looked shite, where you click on enemies and wait for your attack cycle time etc... I ****ing hate that. I'm a damn good twitch & arcade gamer, so it'd be awesome to have a realtime key combination fighting system (imagine the arcade style of like street fighter's super moves & combos) mixed with say, Jedi Knight II's 3rd person realtime deathmatch combat style. Obviously this wouldn't work with the likes of something like WoW due to lag, but on a single player game, why retain the diceroll calculation/delayed attack system when you can have it completely realtime? It's frustrating how it works

    I do think the skill trees are pretty well done, with a huge range of stuff to branch down, but that's the same old concept, there's just more bullshit than before.

    Overall, yeah you'd take my opinion more seriously if I physically moved the mouse and clicked on things with my hands, rather than watching GaR do it, but ultimately I've seen almost as much of the game as him and we both share a similar view of it thus far.

    And the storyline being engaging & involving etc... I found it pretty hard to care about such hollow, emotionless characters. Every time they talk it seems contrived, it's just not very well done.

    Also, the choices you make affecting the outcome of the game? Baldur's Gate II also had that, it's not a huge deal.

    The world is indeed well done, it looks nice, there's plenty of ambient sound effects & stuff... but it's not as immersive as you say. Your character can't even jump, and there's plenty of areas that are simply blocked off by invisible polygons. GaR tried running around a building last night and it simply wouldn't let him run around this fence, just retarded... that ruins immersiveness imho.

    I don't wish to offend anyone with this, but seriously, I struggle to see how this game is as awesome as you guys are making it out to be.

  7. Post
    #57
    I too am disappointed with the combat system. WTF? How can you call it awesome when all you do is click on an enemy as in Neverwinter Nights and then click again to activate the combos?

  8. Post
    #58
    I have enjoyed it mainly due to the video content and the character itself which you will either love or hate.

    Huge improvement to the NWN version of the same engine marred only by load times

  9. Post
    #59
    Thats normal for people to dislike certain games. Otherwise, CD Projekt wouldn't have enough copies to sell to all rpg gamers around the world.
    I can see flaws in the game, and i agree with some of the things you said, but i find the pros out weight the cons, that's why I enjoy it.

  10. Post
    #60
    Mettler loves Halo 2. That speaks for itself.

  11. Post
    #61
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    Mettler loves Halo 2.
    How the hell can you complain about the Witcher being "regurgitated crap" and then love Halo 2; the king of non-innovation and blandness.

  12. Post
    #62
    been playing it for the last hour, it's pretty cool , but i hate how you can't run around shit, the clippings are stupid.
    that and the loading times

  13. Post
    #63
    I hated baldurs gate, nwn, all other point and click rpgs but this one seems to draw me in, maybe not necessarily because of the gameplay cos i cant be drawn into a game if the enemy doesnt block or defend himself when you attack other than a quote saying "parry". It'ts more the story and as weird and annoying the whole invisible wall thing is I still feel drawn because of the characters and story.

  14. Post
    #64
    One point I gotta agree with the above 2 posts is the freedom of movement you get in TW.
    Coming from Oblivion, I first found TW Map very restricted and linear(Cant jump, cant get over 6inches fences...). But then I thought this is more traditional RPG style, and went looking for the story line. Fortunately,I was happy to find out that the game broaden in the area that matters most: the story

  15. Post
    #65
    eug1404 wrote:
    How the hell can you complain about the Witcher being "regurgitated crap" and then love Halo 2; the king of non-innovation and blandness.
    Probably because halo 2 was always mean to be a regurgiatation. It's a sequel to an fps. The witcher is a new IP and as such they
    had plenty of opportunity for innovation.

    I enjoy the game myself, but i havent played any single player rpg's since d2.. i played oblivion for about a week, and finished it, but i hated lot of things about it.

    The witcher has it's flaws, but right now with few other games i can be bothered playing and the dissapointment of UT3, it's a good game

  16. Post
    #66
    I'm working my way through, and while it's growing on me, it's hard to get past the annoyingly inflexible camera setup, the strangely unintuitive UI, the simplistic combat and the voice acting (which varies from extremely good to utterly crap).

    I'm also sick of the incessant loading and the fact that a single block of stone on the floor creates a massive barrier you have to circumnavigate. The invisible fences, the inability to jump, the fact that tiny shrubs are stronger than your character...

    That said, the storylines are largely quite well done, even though the amount of running around you have to do is reminiscent of World of Warcraft at lower levels.

  17. Post
    #67
    Gar, glad it's growing on you but just be patient with it. The Witcher isn't a game you're supposed to master in under two hours. It has taken me 80+ hours to finish this game (on EASY) but that is because I made sure not to leave any side quests out - and I've found that some of them change depending on your choices.
    Also:

    The 'unintuitive UI' is like that for a reason in the beginning - you won't last ten seconds in a real fight until you are MUCH stronger.

    If the combat is too simplistic for you, good, it means you won't struggle without the visual prompts the game removes on the harder levels. So memorising Geralts moves shouldn't be too difficult for you - right?

    "The invisible fence or wall." How many of you jump out of your second story window just to go outside? Really, come on. If a guy needs to go shopping in the real world, he doesn't walk/drive through other peoples property/houses making a b-line for his destination - unless he's insane/or your playing too much GTA.
    I've found that later in the game, these invisible lines, make sure I encounter some monsters on my way to a destination and can even help me evade them if I needed to get away. Just immerse yourself a little more in it. Instead of fretting about "Why the hell can't I go there?" maybe you should ask "What the hell do I need to go there for?"

    Otherwise enjoy it! - the new patch should help eliminate the long loading times and I think is due either this week or next.

  18. Post
    #68
    I'm really liking this game except...

    (Act 1 spoiler)
    Spoiler:


    I'm loving the atmosphere of this game, the story is great, the characters are great, the combat is pretty good (it's growing on me), and the graphics are pretty decent to boot.

  19. Post
    #69
    GaR wrote:
    I'm also sick of the incessant loading and the fact that a single block of stone on the floor creates a massive barrier you have to circumnavigate. The invisible fences, the inability to jump, the fact that tiny shrubs are stronger than your character...
    Yea the invisible walls etc really bug me. It's almost as bad as resident evil in parts. It sucked having to take the long route every time you needed to run across the other side of the map in Act 1 because you can't jump over a fence.....It's a bit of a step backwards compared to most other rpgs but the game more than makes up for it in other departments.

  20. Post
    #70
    I thought the invisible wall problem was especially abhorrent in the swamps. The inability to jump is a relic from the Aurora engine(Neverwinter Nights) and also hurts immersion.

  21. Post
    #71
    It breaks immersion in one of the most horrible ways known to man.

  22. Post
    #72
    Antaeus 00 wrote:
    "The invisible fence or wall." How many of you jump out of your second story window just to go outside? Really, come on. If a guy needs to go shopping in the real world, he doesn't walk/drive through other peoples property/houses making a b-line for his destination - unless he's insane/or your playing too much GTA.
    I've found that later in the game, these invisible lines, make sure I encounter some monsters on my way to a destination and can even help me evade them if I needed to get away. Just immerse yourself a little more in it. Instead of fretting about "Why the hell can't I go there?" maybe you should ask "What the hell do I need to go there for?"
    Second story window?

    Dude, there are no windows in the game anyway - each building is a seperate map anyway. I'm talking about knee-high blocks of stone, low fences that wouldn't slow me down IRL, and even just empty spaces that are apparently out of bounds, cordoned off by force fields or something.

    "What the hell do I need to go there for?" To avoid running the long way for the fortieth bloody time, perhaps. It's difficult to maintain my willing suspension of disbelief when my character must repeatedly circumnavigate objects and areas that would barely even be an obstacle in real life.

    In any case, a better question would be "Why the hell is there a force field across this paddock?"

    The storylines are great, they're just attached to a game with sloppily-made maps.

  23. Post
    #73
    It's (as someone's pointed out) a feature of the Aurora engine used for Neverwinter Nights. To be honest, I thought the no jumping constraint was fine in NWN, but it's really out of place in the Witcher.

  24. Post
    #74
    Oh, and not being able to step off a boardwalk that's only 18 inches from the ground isn't merely an oversight - it's downright retarded.

  25. Post
    #75
    And the random crashes get slightly annoying